• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels have scouted Tanaka multiple times

SoWhat

B. Determination of Competitive Balance Tax

(1) Calculation of Tax
A Club with a final Actual Club Payroll that exceeds the Tax
Threshold applicable in that Contract Year (“Tax Threshold”) shall
be assessed a Competitive Balance Tax on the difference between its
final Actual Club Payroll and the Tax Threshold. A Club with a final
Actual Club Payroll at or below the Tax Threshold shall incur no
Competitive Balance Tax for that Contract Year.

If that is all there is to the luxury tax, it is no wonder the Dodgers had no problem going over it this past season. 

You have to wonder, how much money do the Angels lose not being in the playoffs and with attendance number falling?

It sure seems like the Angels should have no problem going over the luxury tax if it means the playoffs.

If that is all there is to the luxury tax, it is no wonder the Dodgers had no problem going over it this past season. 

You have to wonder, how much money do the Angels lose not being in the playoffs and with attendance number falling?

Eleventy billion dollars.

It sure seems like the Angels should have no problem going over the luxury tax if it means the playoffs.

It's not just about lost ticket sales, etc. there is an arms race for the next generation of Southern Californians baseball fans. The McCourt debacle was a seriously long-term brand problem. It was a principle reason the Dodgers went nuts spending money (I spoke with a Dodgers executive at the Baseball prospectus 2012 event at the Ravine about this).

The advantage has strongly tilted back to the Dodgers after the 2013 season.

It's not just about lost ticket sales, etc. there is an arms race for the next generation of Southern Californians baseball fans. The McCourt debacle was a seriously long-term brand problem. It was a principle reason the Dodgers went nuts spending money (I spoke with a Dodgers executive at the Baseball prospectus 2012 event at the Ravine about this).

The advantage has strongly tilted back to the Dodgers after the 2013 season.

Which is why it would be even more important for the Angels to spend money to get back to the playoffs, correct?

Which is why it would be even more important for the Angels to spend money to get back to the playoffs, correct?

Precisely. This team isn't going to rebuild any time soon. 

You have the best player in the game and several star players locked up for quite some time. Plus, I don't think it's unrealistic to think this team can at least win the Wild Card next year. Shore up the rotation a bit and add some luck our way and I think we have a chance to be back in the playoffs. 

No disagreement from me. However, it is critical this organization spend for sustained success and not just for a win now mentality.

Bad signings and trading away nearly all of out prospects is not advisable moving forward. The Greinke trade especially made little sense to me at the time.

No disagreement from me. However, it is critical this organization spend for sustained success and not just for a win now mentality.

Bad signings and trading away nearly all of out prospects is not advisable moving forward. The Greinke trade especially made little sense to me at the time.

Excellent point.  This is why I think it makes sense for the Angels to spend money to get Tanaka, Vargas and then bullpen arms.  Pay the damn luxury tax.

Then, they can trade Trumbo, Bourjos and Howie to get young arms that should be ready in a couple years.  I bet they could get a nice haul to replenish their system for those three.

Edited to add:  I think Jerry had it in his mind to re-sign Greinke this past offseason and that is why he made trade.  It was Arte who told him no and to spend the money on Hamilton instead.

Edited by Jim B

Edited to add: I think Jerry had it in his mind to re-sign Greinke this past offseason and that is why he made trade. It was Arte who told him no and to spend the money on Hamilton instead.

This makes no sense. Why would Greinke give a discount to a team he only pitched for two months? If the goal was to sign him might as well keep Segura and others and pursue him in the offseason.

I think the team was fully committed to signing grienke. But when it became apparent he was going to take the most money (which who can blame him), and it became very apparent the dodgers would keep matching bids, we probably figured out that we might end up with a second 200 million dollar contract.

In that sense I can't really blame the team for balking. I just wish they would have grabbed a sanchez instead of hamilton.

We were apparently going to have to wayyyyyy overspend on Greinke to get him to stay, as he apparently has expressed his preference for the NL so he can hit (he won the Silver Slugger).

Time for the NL to add the DH so we can have no more of this pitchers hitting/double-switch nonsense.

Sanchez would have been a great pick-up.

and its not like its just a 20/20 hindsight thing. It was a pretty obvious good fit.

Plus pitcher (which we needed). Available. Cost was within our budget. Etc etc.

The only thing I can think of is maybe he wanted to stay in detroit and didn't want to come here?

and its not like its just a 20/20 hindsight thing. It was a pretty obvious good fit.

Plus pitcher (which we needed). Available. Cost was within our budget. Etc etc.

The only thing I can think of is maybe he wanted to stay in detroit and didn't want to come here?

He almost signed with the Cubs. He took the Cubs offer back to the Tigers and they ended up outbidding the Cubs offer.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2012/12/14/3764814/anibal-sanchez-re-signs-detroit-tigers