• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Angels unlikely to make Jason Vargas a qualifying offer; to pursue pitching via trade

Not saying it isn't true but that is the same thing we heard before Pujols and before Hamilton.

Yes....but the stupidity of those two contracts, plus (to a lesser extent) Blanton, means we may finally have hit a financial wall...we'll see.....

I still think they make a "surprise" bid on Tanaka. Arte's becoming predictable.

I worry a bit about Jerry's hand being so obvious - everyone knows he's desperate for pitching so the Angels might not be able to get value back.

I feel like the missed opportunity was Aybar to the Cardinals for one of their great pitching prospects - Rosenthal or Martinez, or Kelly even, would have been great, and possibly do-able in July. We don't know the details, but my guess is that Jerry insisted on Wacha, who might not even be the best pitcher in the long-term. Who knows, maybe a deal is still possible.

Payroll Restrictions Doom Probability Of 2014 Playoffs

Horrific player personnel decisions is a false indication of a clueless organization.

I've often said it's never too early to give up on a season, but usually you have to be in the calendar year of that season before giving up on it.

If Vargas is expected to decline tue offer why the hell not offer it and get a draft pick?

+1....not sure of the logic there.....if you are pretty sure he's going to decline it, it would be stupid not to offer....if he accepts, then it's not like you're stuck with a Hamilton, Pujols, Wells, GMJr goshawful multi-year deal....it's one year of overpaying a middle to middle/back of the rotation guy....and, in this market, it wouldn't be overpaying by a ton either...hell, Joe Blanton gets 8 million next year....why is paying Vargas, who has been pretty consistent for 4/5 years, 14 all that bad anyway?  He'd want a multi-year deal of something like 3/30 or more....I like DiPoto and I like Arte but our roster management, since 09 (not all on DiPoto obviously), has been a head scratcher....

Edited by DMVol

Payroll Restrictions Doom Probability Of 2014 Playoffs

Horrific player personnel decisions is a false indication of a clueless organization.

Can you please take a break from this same horsecrap every thread, Either participate or just don't post but playing this same game every day is trolling.

+1....not sure of the logic there.....if you are pretty sure he's going to decline it, it would be stupid not to offer....if he accepts, then it's not like you're stuck with a Hamilton, Pujols, Wells, GMJr goshawful multi-year deal....it's one year of overpaying a middle to middle/back of the rotation guy....and, in this market, it wouldn't be overpaying by a ton either...hell, Joe Blanton gets 8 million next year....why is paying Vargas, who has been pretty consistent for 4/5 years, 14 all that bad anyway?  He'd want a multi-year deal of something like 3/30 or more....I like DiPoto and I like Arte but our roster management, since 09 (not all on DiPoto obviously), has been a head scratcher....

If he accepts a $14 one year offer you have little negotiating room for a long term for less annually. If the Angels are thinking long term then the qualifying locks them into a base rate they themselves set. Vargas can still refuse the qualifying and take his chances on the open market.

However I think if they don't make a qualifying offer then they are going to lose him to a more pitching desperate team with payroll flexibility and, as you said, lose the draft pick. I would make the offer since most of the scenarios are the Angels lose him anyway.

I feel like the missed opportunity was Aybar to the Cardinals for one of their great pitching prospects - Rosenthal or Martinez, or Kelly even, would have been great, and possibly do-able in July. We don't know the details, but my guess is that Jerry insisted on Wacha, who might not even be the best pitcher in the long-term. Who knows, maybe a deal is still possible.

This was my feeling as well; watching the Cards dismantle the Doyyers I knew my dream was DOA

Doc, you have always been great on this board, but lately you have become legendary!

thanks Strad.  I've been taking some interwebs classes at the local extention and I bought the 'AW for Dummies' book.  I just started the chapter on Victor's mom and I am eagerly anticipating the workbook section on creating appropriate nicknames.  

I still don't understand how there is so much concern over the payroll cap.  I understand that the cap is measured by the AAV of all contracts, and that you have to include every guy on the 40-man, but are we really that close to the 189-mil limit (or is that even the limit that applies to us) that it is a legit concern?

thanks Strad. I've been taking some interwebs classes at the local extention and I bought the 'AW for Dummies' book. I just started the chapter on Victor's mom and I am eagerly anticipating the workbook section on creating appropriate nicknames.

When you get that workbook on appropriate nickname creating, can you please pass it on to AO and YoT? Thanks in advance.

"It's not your money."

"You don't know how much money Arte has."

Folks, the chickens have come home to roost.  Wells, Pujols, Hamilton, and Blanton are indeed affecting the team's ability to improve (or perhaps even to tread water).  If/when we lose Vargas and don't even get a draft pick in return, then this is a strong indication that this team has no future for the next handful of years.  We might as well blow the whole thing up and trade Weaver, Wilson, and anyone of value in order to build up the farm system. 

I even think Trout should be dealt in 2-3 seasons because what is the point in keeping him around?  Sure, having him makes this an 81-81 team instead of 71-91, but I'm not going to put my heart and soul into a team that tops out at 81 games if everything goes right. 

Nuke this sick dog ASAP if we can't pay Vargas for one season.

Edited by Everling