• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Angels unlikely to make Jason Vargas a qualifying offer; to pursue pitching via trade

"It's not your money."

"You don't know how much money Arte has."

Folks, the chickens have come home to roost. Wells, Pujols, Hamilton, and Blanton are indeed affecting the team's ability to improve (or perhaps even to tread water). If/when we lose Vargas and don't even get a draft pick in return, then this is a strong indication that this team has no future for the next handful of years. We might as well blow the whole thing up and trade Weaver, Wilson, and anyone of value in order to build up the farm system.

I even think Trout should be dealt in 2-3 seasons because what is the point in keeping him around? Sure, having him makes this an 81-81 team instead of 71-91, but I'm not going to put my heart and soul into a team that tops out at 81 games if everything goes right.

Nuke this sick dog ASAP if we can't pay Vargas for one season.

AngelsWin in October, where we might as well trade Trout because they are choosing not to offer our number 3 pitcher $14 million

thanks Strad.  I've been taking some interwebs classes at the local extention and I bought the 'AW for Dummies' book.  I just started the chapter on Victor's mom and I am eagerly anticipating the workbook section on creating appropriate nicknames.  

In the Angel's RePLAY section there are some really pretty pictures too.

When you get that workbook on appropriate nickname creating, can you please pass it on to AO and YoT? Thanks in advance.

actually, Scioscia and AO collaborated to create the workbook.  I think the gist is that you put a deragatory adjective in front of the name, shorten the name a bit, and then add a y.  You would be 'simpleton stradly'. 

I almost would prefer that the Angels don't hand out any big contracts.  I don't see anyone out there worth it.

McCann would be nice but I think he will get too much.

Tanaka if he can be had will probably be worth the money, that would be nice.

Vargas if he signs a reasonable deal.

Outside of that I don't see anyone worth the money they will get.

....However I think if they don't make a qualifying offer then they are going to lose him to a more pitching desperate team with payroll flexibility and, as you said, lose the draft pick. I would make the offer since most of the scenarios are the Angels lose him anyway.....

Therein lies the rub....your leverage point is valid but you're not likely to sign him long term if he's on the open market, I don't think.....

I almost would prefer that the Angels don't hand out any big contracts.  I don't see anyone out there worth it.

McCann would be nice but I think he will get too much.

Tanaka if he can be had will probably be worth the money, that would be nice.

Vargas if he signs a reasonable deal.

Outside of that I don't see anyone worth the money they will get.

This is why we'll see multiple trades happen. We can find better players for cheaper most likely in a trade. 

I am not so sure he wouldn't take that one year deal especially if he wants to stay here. I like the idea of making a couple trades for young SP who will be cheap over him for one year. He was okay but nothing special and he does come with health concerns. Just because a reporter says it is unlikely he won't take the offer doesn't make it so. 

Possibly. I'm not going to judge Pujols and Hamilton after one and two years. Wells on the other hand is one I hated as soon as the rumor churned.

I don't know. Even if Pujols bounces back some, which I am relatively optimistic about at least for the next few years, that contract is looking like a nightmare.

And even if Hamilton bounces back as well, that is still a hefty contract, and he looks even more like a luxury item they splurged on when they had bigger needs now than he did 11 months ago.

The fact that this team is apparently so close to their payroll ceiling that they can't make a qualifying offer to a free agent they could use next year(and at least get a nifty draft pick) without ****ing everything up while still being so fatally flawed is pretty damning when it comes to the competence of those in power with this team, both past and present.