• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is it a bad thing that the Angels keep winning?

IIIII

Don't get me wrong I, like all of you, love seeing the Angels win. But at this point in time winning does nothing but lower our draft pick. No matter how well the Angels play the team won't make the playoffs and either the gm or hc will be gone after the season.

I'm not saying the team should tank

It, but does winning even do anything at this point in time?

Winning does a great deal when evaluating talent on the current roster. It's more valuable than the difference of a few draft pick positions.

Having a protected pick is more important than winning pointless games.

Edited by Poozy

Don't get me wrong I, like all of you, love seeing the Angels win. But at this point in time winning does nothing but lower our draft pick. No matter how well the Angels play the team won't make the playoffs and either the gm or hc will be gone after the season.

I'm not saying the team should tank

It, but does winning even do anything at this point in time?

Can we get off this?  This topic has been beaten to death!

This isn't the NBA.  We are not going to draft anyone who going to come in immediately and turn the franchise around.  Therefore, losing for a "better pick" is not winning like many of you repeatedly stated on this board.  It would nice to get a protected pick, but that is about it.  Remember, Trout wasn't drafted in the top 10.  Neither was Pujols.  Great baseball players don't necessarily come in the top 10 of the draft.  

All losing does is build on the culture of "losing".  It makes "losing acceptable" and for a winner, it isn't acceptable.  

Losing deliberately means.....YOUR A LOSER!

Can we get off this?  This topic has been beaten to death!

This isn't the NBA.  We are not going to draft anyone who going to come in immediately and turn the franchise around.  Therefore, losing for a "better pick" is not winning like many of you repeatedly stated on this board.  It would nice to get a protected pick, but that is about it.  Remember, Trout wasn't drafted in the top 10.  Neither was Pujols.  Great baseball players don't necessarily come in the top 10 of the draft.  

All losing does is build on the culture of "losing".  It makes "losing acceptable" and for a winner, it isn't acceptable.  

Losing deliberately means.....YOUR A LOSER!

Well said, storm. I mean, I love the idea of getting a #5 draft pick, but I'd rather see the team play to its potential which is a much stronger building block for next year. By winning games in September, the team is proving to itself that it can win.

The problem with the opposing viewpoint is that it ignores the aspect of morale and human psychology. I want to see the guys enjoy playing baseball and its much more fun winning than losing. I'd bed money that not a single player is saying "Man, we need to stop winning because we're going to miss out on a top 10 draft pick." They're more likely saying "THIS is how winning feels like, I remember now, and I love it - I want to do more!"

This is exactly why I don't understand the obsession of some with getting a high draft pick. Baseball is the hardest sport to predict future success in based upon current performance. You are picking players who are competing against players who are nowhere near a major league level and the vast majority of whom will never wear a major league uniform. Unlike other sports, physical skills alone are not enough. Hitting a baseball is the single hardest task in all of sports.

Baseball history is rife with "can't miss" prospects who did. A lot of "Hall of Fame" careers died in the minors.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Having a protected pick is more important than winning pointless games.

That may or may not pan out in three or four years.   They are winning while looking at guys who may be a part of fixing whats wrong with this team,   One in the hand, two in the bush.  Protected picks are nice, but I'd rather they lock up Trout and find better ways to spend money than in FA...   

This is exactly why I don't understand the obsession of some with getting a high draft pick. Baseball is the hardest sport to predict future success in based upon current performance. You are picking players who are competing against players who are nowhere near a major league level and the vast majority of whom will never wear a major league uniform. Unlike other sports, physical skills alone are not enough. Hitting a baseball is the single hardest task in all of sports.

Baseball history is rife with "can't miss" prospects who did. A lot of "Hall of Fame" careers died in the minors.

In years past I would agree with you. But now with slotted picks and a draft cap a higher pick is actually worth far more than it ever was before. Getting a higher pick in the first round is minimal. The difference in money allows you to get better talent in every round though and it adds up. Baseball is all about small differences repeated over and over again. A protected pick is also worth more than a little especially with the state of the farm.

Also, using "winning" as a way to evaluate individual players is not the best way to go. Nelson, Green, Bourjos etc. could all play great and this team still lose. Playing them and evaluating talent is a separate issue from winning. Finally, this team has had hot streaks before but isn't a good team. Using a 20-30 game sample as a true measure of this teams future for next year may be more detrimental than good. If it gives you a wrong impression of where this team is it could set us on the wrong path.

That said I always root for this team to win. I'm going tonight and sure as hell want them to win even though I think it's probably bad for them in the long run. It's certainly more fun when they win.

Edited by eaterfan

Just don't sign any premium FAs during this upcoming off-season, that solves that problem.

I like the idea of a strong finish to build on into 2014.

Agree.

We are playing the young guys to see what we have and they seem to be making it work.

If we are winning because of legitimate player development where players will continue new developed skills into future years production, and this is greater than the difference in talent between draft pick slot in each round, then this is a good thing.

I doubt that is the case though.

Yup, I said this before. If we're winning because this team has finally figured it out (starting pitching/bullpen/defense wise) then that's a good thing. But if this is just an aberration, these wins will end up hurting us more than helping us. Remember, having a top 5 pick isn't only good for the first round, we have one in every single other round as well. That adds up and could be the difference between a decent draft and a very good one.

If we are winning because of legitimate player development where players will continue new developed skills into future years production, and this is greater than the difference in talent between draft pick slot in each round, then this is a good thing.

I doubt that is the case though.

Trouts plate approach has been amazing in the last month or so. Just when you think someone can't get better, he does.

my only issue with ending the season hot is it tends to make the org think the regular season was maybe just a fluke

and this hot team is how they should have actually played

so they dont make any changes during the offseason, and we suck again next year

the ducks did this for years and its really annoying

finally they booted the coach and w/ the new voice they immediately moved back into the elite

Edited by mrwicked

my only issue with ending the season hot is it tends to make the org think the regular season was maybe just a fluke

and this hot team is how they should have actually played

so they dont make any changes during the offseason, and we suck again next year

the ducks did this for years and its really annoying

finally they booted the coach and w/ the new voice they immediately moved back into the elite

I would be beyond shocked if the front office really does not make any changes to our pitching because of a hot streak to end the season.