• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is it a bad thing that the Angels keep winning?

IIIII

Looking forward to joining the tank group here that gets excited for a draft position and hoping to see the next Luke Hocheaver in five years.

Maybe I'll see these same dudes in line next year renewing their season tickets because we got a protected draft pick.

Yes, because all top 10 picks are busts... Edited by YouthofToday

Really? Not all are All-Stars yet most make the show and are productive MLB players when they are under team control.

A better draft pick also nets you more $$ to spend at the draft. A big f-ing deal.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/6/4/4395338/mlb-draft-2013-team-budgets-and-first-round-values

They are a top 10 pick. They should be close to AS quality. Especially if fans are "OK" with losing to obtain them. Below is a 10 year snap shot of top 10 picks. I stopped at 2009 since 2010-2013 is inconclusive right now.

2000- Adrian Gonzalez

2001- Mauer, Prior, Teix

2002- Fielder, Grieke, Upton

2003- Markakis Weeks

2004- Verlander, Bailey

2005- CRAZY DRAFT! Upton, Gordon, Zimmerman, Braun*, Romero, Maybin

2006- Longoria, Kershaw, Lincy

2007- Price, Weiters, Buamgarner

2008- Alvarez, Hosmer, Matusz Posey

2009- Strasburg, Leake

That is 29 players, out of 100 picks. So 70% fail to make an impact at the MLB level. Of course that is a higher success rate than later position picks. I would say that 70% is "most".

If we are winning because of legitimate player development where players will continue new developed skills into future years production, and this is greater than the difference in talent between draft pick slot in each round, then this is a good thing.

I doubt that is the case though.

This is a fair argument. But it begs the question..   Do you think Green and Calhoun are "developing" as players by playing everyday at the MLB level?   They could play everyday while losing too..  But if their play is directly impacting the W/L record....  Where do you draw the line?

For me personally, the losing sucks -- but if they had all just started mailing it in, not sure I'd be able to stomach that at all.

Edited by Inside Pitch

my only issue with ending the season hot is it tends to make the org think the regular season was maybe just a fluke

and this hot team is how they should have actually played

so they dont make any changes during the offseason, and we suck again next year

the ducks did this for years and its really annoying

finally they booted the coach and w/ the new voice they immediately moved back into the elite

If that were true then Hunter, Haren, Morales and Santana would still be on the angels and Hamilton would be sucking elsewhere.

They are a top 10 pick. They should be close to AS quality. Especially if fans are "OK" with losing to obtain them. Below is a 10 year snap shot of top 10 picks. I stopped at 2009 since 2010-2013 is inconclusive right now.

2000- Adrian Gonzalez

2001- Mauer, Prior, Teix

2003- Markakis Weeks

2004- Verlander, Bailey

2009- Strasburg, Leake

That is 29 players, out of 100 picks. So 70% fail to make an impact at the MLB level. Of course that is a higher success rate than later position picks. I would say that 70% is "most".

I'm on your side in this debate because I want the Angels to win every game no matter what the overall context of the season is. However I do kind of see where the "tankers" (as they will now be colloquially dubbed) are coming from. It isn't just about having 1 high, protected draft pick; It's about having higher picks through all the rounds of the draft, as well as more money to spend on said picks. So while no draft pick is guaranteed to be successful in the majors, the higher picks have a better overall chance than the lower ones.

2000- Adrian Gonzalez

2001- Mauer, Prior, Teix

2003- Markakis Weeks

2004- Verlander, Bailey

2009- Strasburg, Leake

Your premise a player has to be an all-star level pick to be a successful top 10 pick is ludicrous.

Your premise a player has to be an all-star level pick to be a successful top 10 pick is ludicrous.

Then how about you go through those 10 years and let me know who I missed that was worth a "top 10 pick". You think it's worth losing games to get a player like Jeff Clement?? That would be ludicrous.

No, but losing a few more games in a meaningless games for a chance to grab a player like Troy Tulowitzki(who you left off your list) or Evan Longoria wouldn't hurt. (And I say that even as someone who isn't particularly rooting for the Angels to tank for the sake of a draft pick)

See, I can cherry pick extremes to prove a point too!

The Angels having a Jarrod Parker(another good Top 10 draft pick) would be pretty nice as well.

Edited by jshep

shep, do you want the players to tank to get higher picks?

See, I doubt you do.  I'm guessing there are only a couple of posters who are actually wanting players to play poorly to move up in the draft.  I'm guessing it's more like "oh well, they lost.  At least they will get a better pick."

If there is anyone who actually believes that players should or will tank on purpose probably hasn't played sports very much.  These guys still have to play for their futures too.