• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reasons Why Callaspo, NOT Aybar Should Bat Second

Chuck

this has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but can anyone think of a shortstop other than cal ripken who has been both a good hitter and defender?

nope, can't think of a single one. other than cal, there's never been a ss who could hit and field. you'd think there would have been like at least like 3 or something?

I would prefer Kendrick in the 2 spot simply because he is the only player that will keep the same approach in each at bat consistently throughout the season. By that I mean, if he gets fastball after fastball, he won't get pull happy and try to yank them all out of the yard. He will hit them out just by squaring the baseball which is what he does in each approach. I have a fear of Aybar getting pull happy once he pulls a couple down the line and over the wall.

That said, I know Kendrick has a poor history batting in the 2 spot. But he wasn't terrible there last season. I know it was only 88ab's but they were during a time that Pujols was abysmal. I think Kendrick has a chance to succeed there. I think it's worth another shot.

no to howie in the # 2 spot.

During his career Howie has put up the following OPS batting in the following positions in the line-up

batting 2nd - .694 OPS (784 PA's)

batting 5th - .715 OPS (419 PA's)

batting 6th - .783 OPS (648 PA's)

batting 7th - .807 OPS (784 PA's)

His lowest OPS comes when he bats 2nd in the line-up and increases as he moves down in the line-up.

During 2012, with Pujols, etc. behind him, Howie put up the following OPS in the following positions in the line-up

batting 2nd - .717 OPS (92 PA's)

batting 5th - .600 OPS (174 PA's)

batting 6th - .772 OPS (188 PA's)

batting 7th - .816 OPS (127 PA's)

Again, his lowest OPS came batting in the 7th spot in the order.

Rather than make Howie fit into the 2-hole (hehe)...it makes more sense to let him bat in a position in the line-up he is obviously more comfortable in, its obvious they will get more production out of him. Howie just has not performed well batting 2nd.

The question shouldn't be "Who should hit second" it should be "Who will Scioscia decide to start the season with, batting second?"

My educated guess, from watching Scioscia for over a decade now, says Howie will get first dibs. Especially after the spring he is having.

I hope he rakes there, and think he will....and everyone should pray that he does, because otherwise it will be another April- May of lineup roulette.

Callaspo is a good hitter. Strikes out the least on the team, sees more pitches, can crush fastballs and handles the equally as well as Aybar.

Callaspo to me is the clear choice for #2. Aybar is better down in the order.

BTW, Aybar is 0-5 tonight hitting between Jose Reyes and Robinson Cano :-)

Not that i have a problem with your argument of having Callaspo bat 2nd, but is it really good logic to discount Aybar because he is 0-5 for one game?

Data saying a player is better hitting in a different spot in the order is totally plagued by sample size issue. This is where scouting must play the dominant role (on whether a player is better in different spots). It's basically mental with the player. It shouldn't really effect them.

If they are a "professional hitter" like Great Michael Young, it wouldn't matter. Just give them a damn bat and let them go to work.

nope, can't think of a single one. other than cal, there's never been a ss who could hit and field. you'd think there would have been like at least like 3 or something?

Jeter?  AROD before moving the the Yanks.....Tejada?  not sure how his fielding was.

should I get adventurous and say Dick Schoefield?

I'll try to keep this short.

1. Kendrick in the 2-spot.  Are freakin' insane?  If your arugment against Aybar is that Trout won't get a chance to steal because his AB's only last 3 pitches then I wouldn't get excited over Kendrick's AB which last 4 pitches and will result in leading the league in grounding into double plays.

2. Aybar simply isn't a 2-hitter, we've tried it before and it doesn't work.  He tried taking pitches and becoming a 2-hitter in 2010 and it was a disaster before he was moved and reverted back to his aggressive style.  He's not the worst option, but I'd hope for better.  Still I get the feeling it'll end up being Aybar.

3. Callaspo is theoretically a good idea, right up until you watch him hit.  If he gets to 2B, he'll have a hard time scoring on a single, he's simply not fast enough and can't bunt.

4. Iannetta, see Callaspo.

5. Bourjos will swing and miss too much, but he's the ONLY one that offers the necessary speed, bunting ability and sees enough pitches to be a good 2-hitter.

6. Honestly, the best option is probably Kole Calhoun, he's left-handed, has patience, enough speed, can bunt....  Problem is, he won't be playing over Bourjos and because of our manager's idiotic tendency to favor veterans, he'll be firmly planted behind Vernon Wells on the depth chat.

Bourjos is clearly the best choice.  He'll see more fastballs, Trout would get enough time to steal second, Bourjos can lay down bunts that'll get Trout to 3rd, when Bourjos reaches base he too can steal and will always be capable of taking the extra base.  Without Calhoun, my vote is Bourjos, and it honestly isn't even that close.

Not that i have a problem with your argument of having Callaspo bat 2nd, but is it really good logic to discount Aybar because he is 0-5 for one game?

Notice my smiley face after I posted that. Just messin' around storm! 

1. Kendrick in the 2-spot.  Are freakin' insane?  If your arugment against Aybar is that Trout won't get a chance to steal because his AB's only last 3 pitches then I wouldn't get excited over Kendrick's AB which last 4 pitches and will result in leading the league in grounding into double plays.

2. Aybar simply isn't a 2-hitter, we've tried it before and it doesn't work.  He tried taking pitches and becoming a 2-hitter in 2010 and it was a disaster before he was moved and reverted back to his aggressive style.  He's not the worst option, but I'd hope for better.  Still I get the feeling it'll end up being Aybar.

3. Callaspo is theoretically a good idea, right up until you watch him hit.  If he gets to 2B, he'll have a hard time scoring on a single, he's simply not fast enough and can't bunt.

5. Bourjos will swing and miss too much, but he's the ONLY one that offers the necessary speed, bunting ability and sees enough pitches to be a good 2-hitter.

6. Honestly, the best option is probably Kole Calhoun, he's left-handed, has patience, enough speed, can bunt....  Problem is, he won't be playing over Bourjos and because of our manager's idiotic tendency to favor veterans, he'll be firmly planted behind Vernon Wells on the depth chat.

Bourjos is clearly the best choice.  He'll see more fastballs, Trout would get enough time to steal second, Bourjos can lay down bunts that'll get Trout to 3rd, when Bourjos reaches base he too can steal and will always be capable of taking the extra base.  Without Calhoun, my vote is Bourjos, and it honestly isn't even that close.

I don't want to be sacrificing any outs with Trout on base or before our run producers get to the plate. 

While Callaspo isn't as fast as Aybar and not nearly as fast as Bourjos, he isn't that slow. He's not a stolen base guy, but he's not Iannetta or Bengie Molina at 2B either. He can score on a routine run scoring single from 2B without a problem. 

Is there any research to back up this claim?

not aware of any formal research. I know I have observed many players who struggle to produce in certain spots in the lineup yet thrive in others. this is something that has been discussed many times on message boards over the years. My guess is this is mostly due with treating the spot as a role player and thinking you need to change your approach to suit that perceived (or stated role). 

#5 Aybar is fast and a good bunter. Not that I want to be giving up oits to move Trout over. Oh and Aybar did well there last year in case you missed it.