• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reasons Why Callaspo, NOT Aybar Should Bat Second

Chuck

Case in point, this game on TV right now between Venezuela and the Dominican club.

In a close game with one out, Jose Reyes gets on base with a single. Erick Aybar up next (WITH SPEED ON FIRST BASE) slaps at the first pitch and grounds out to the first baseman, force out at second base.

Aybar just does not have the type of patience we need in this spot, then there's his tenacity to bunt.

Which brings me to my next point.

Do we really want Aybar sacrificing outs with Trout's speed on base? Do we really want to sacrifice outs before our big guns get to the plate in Pujols, Hamilton and Trumbo?

Put Callaspo in the two-spot and I bet he hits .300, 12 HR and scores a ton of runs. Callaspo's plate discipline, patience to see pitches with runners on base with speed (Bourjos, Aybar, Trout) and his lack of bunting skills is the reason I want Callaspo #2.

Back to Aybar. Batting him at the bottom of the order allows him to get on base via the bunt hit, sacrifice runners over for the top of the lineup in Trout and if on base in front of Bourjos, a chance for P-Bo to see more fastballs with Aybar looking to steal.

Eh, I like Aybar because of his bat-handling ability.  Hitting and running will be plentiful.

Not to mention that Trout will be on base only 40% of the time (or so).  I want speed (Aybar) on base instead of Callaspo for Pujols, Ham, Trumbo to knock in.

Also, Callaspo has looked horrible this spring.

A counterpoint could be that whomever hits in front of Pujols/Hamilton is going to see a lot more fastballs and pitches in the zone, so having a high-contact free swinger could benefit. He's also faster than Callaspo so he is less likely to GIDP.

Eh, I like Aybar because of his bat-handling ability.  Hitting and running will be plentiful.

Not to mention that Trout will be on base only 40% of the time (or so).  I want speed (Aybar) on base instead of Callaspo for Pujols, Ham, Trumbo to knock in.

I agree.  Callaspo is a below average base runner.  I think it's between Aybar and Kendrick.

Per the previous discussion on the old forum.  I liked Callaspo in the 2 spot.  But the way Kendrick is mashing it right now, makes me wonder.  It's still early, but if he can be all we hoped him to be many many many moons ago, it would be huge.

Per the previous discussion on the old forum.  I liked Callaspo in the 2 spot.  But the way Kendrick is mashing it right now, makes me wonder.  It's still early, but if he can be all we hoped him to be many many many moons ago, it would be huge.

Get ready to be disappointed.

Howie has always had good ST performances.

And then once the season starts he goes back to nothing spectacular and hacktastic. Not that that makes him a bad player, but his skillset just doesn't fit at the top of the order, and I've given up on him being anything more than what he is.

And Callaspo looking horrible this spring means what once the season starts, exactly?

He still seems like the best option for the spot to me.

Your number two hitter should be one of your three best hitters.  Aybar does not fit that mold.

This isn't correct.

Your best hitters go #3 and #4.  Your contact + speed goes #1.  #2 goes to the guy who is fast, can bunt, can move runners over and avoids grounding into double-plays.  If he has pop, that's a plus.  Additionally, batting a right-handed hitter 2nd may not be as smart as a left-handed (or switch-hitter) because the amount of real-estate that is open on the right side of the field is larger when the first baseman is holding a runner on.

My vote goes to Aybar 100%.  Callaspo, eh...I'd rather see him where he's been since he's been here.  Near the bottom.  He's fairly productive there, leave him.

By the way, when's the last time we have seen Kendrick bunt?  Also, last year he grounded into a career high 26 double plays.  Howie swings more freely than Aybar...especially at the first pitch.  NOT the kind of guy we need batting #2.

depends on which Callaspo shows up.  The 2011 or 2012 version.  Although preferably the 2009 version.  The 2011 Callaspo would be fine though. 

I am also, once again, getting sucked in by another Kendrick good spring although, he is such a good fastball hitter that I think he could still do well there. 

put ianetta 7th, Aybar 8th, and Bourjos 9th. 

Aybar, Bourjos, and/or Trout on base could be awesome. 

Callaspo is a good hitter. Strikes out the least on the team, sees more pitches, can crush fastballs and handles the equally as well as Aybar.

Callaspo to me is the clear choice for #2. Aybar is better down in the order.

BTW, Aybar is 0-5 tonight hitting between Jose Reyes and Robinson Cano :-)

Callaspo is a good hitter. Strikes out the least on the team, sees more pitches, can crush fastballs and handles the equally as well as Aybar.

Callaspo to me is the clear choice for #2. Aybar is better down in the order.

BTW, Aybar is 0-5 tonight hitting between Jose Reyes and Robinson Cano :-)

I thiought spring training stats didn't matter.

Aybar sees very few pitches.  He actually makes too much contact and with trout on and pujols behind him I fear he's gonna be swinging at everything

Callaspo was second best in the league at not swinging at balls out of the zone.  He walks more than he strikes out and sees a ton of pitches.  

Howie swing a lot, but he misses on balls out of the zone.  A good scenario for trout to run. He crushes fastballs which he would see a lot of.

My order of preference:

1. Callaspo

2. Kendrick

3. Aybar 

Aybar sees very few pitches.  He actually makes too much contact and with trout on and pujols behind him I fear he's gonna be swinging at everything

Callaspo was second best in the league at not swinging at balls out of the zone.  He walks more than he strikes out and sees a ton of pitches.  

Howie swing a lot, but he misses on balls out of the zone.  A good scenario for trout to run. He crushes fastballs which he would see a lot of.

My order of preference:

1. Callaspo

2. Kendrick

3. Aybar 

The main reason for my post Doc. Totally agree! 

he hit rather well behind Trout and ahead of Pujols last yesr

I think Callaspo can do better and help this team win the AL West in that slot. 

Never said Aybar sucked last year or he wasn't good hitting there for BA. I just think Callaspo is an overall better fit for that spot in the lineup for the reasons I laid out.