• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reasons Why Callaspo, NOT Aybar Should Bat Second

Chuck

I don't want to be sacrificing any outs with Trout on base or before our run producers get to the plate. 

While Callaspo isn't as fast as Aybar and not nearly as fast as Bourjos, he isn't that slow. He's not a stolen base guy, but he's not Iannetta or Bengie Molina at 2B either. He can score on a routine run scoring single from 2B without a problem. 

The types of groun ball singles Pujols, Hamiltona nd Trumbo make are usually screamers, not dribblers.  Ebel being as aggressive as he is will waive Callaspo, but he doesn't have the speed to score on these.  I also wouldn't consider Bourjos as a man that just sacrifices outs.  We want someone in the 2-spot with the capability tolay a bunt down, not necessarily that they have to every time.  Callaspo I just wouldn't trust in that situation.  We'd have to bring in a pinch hitter just to bunt for him.  But if I were to rank them, I'd say Callaspo is the 4th best option behind Calhoun, Bourjos and Aybar.  He's better than Howie. 

My guess is, we'll see a continual merry-go-round of #2 hitters.  Aybar will begin the season in the 2 spot, that won't work, they'll try Kendrick, that'll be a disaster, then they'll go to a trimeshare between Aybar, Bourjos and Callaspo.

April 1st, 2013.

Top of the First… Angels Mike Trout lines Johnny Cueto's first pitch into the gap in right center for a double. Next AB, Callaspo walks. Pujols up… and hits a towering flyball to right for an long flyball out, runners can't advance. Hamilton up, strikes out swinging. Trumbo up, singles to left. Trout scores, Callaspo at second. Kendrick up, grounder to the infield, fielder's choice. End of the inning.

Angels 1-0.

Or 

Top of the First…. Angels Mike Trout lines Johnny Cueto's first pitch into the gap in right center for a double. Next AB, Bourjos bunts to the third baseline, Frazier hesitates with the throw to first, Trout gets to third, Bourjos beats the throw. Pujols up towering flyball out to right, Trout scores on the sacrifice, throw goes to second, too late for Bourjos. Hamilton up, strikes out, Bourjos steals third on the second pitch. Trumbo up, singles to left. Bourjos scores. Trumbo advances to second on the throw home. Kendrick up, high chopper to the infield, throw is rushed, over Votto's head. Trumbo scores from second. Kendrick to 2nd on the error. Iannetta up, singles to left, Kendrick scores from second, Iannetta to second on the throw. Callaspo walks. Aybar up, singles to short center. Bases loaded, Trout hits a grand slam, chases Cueto after 2/3 of an inning. Bourjos strikes out to end the inning.

Angels 8-0.

Okay, I forgot they are going to be in Cincinnati, hence no DH. Push this to Arlington on April 5. 

The lineup in Cincinnati will obviously have Weaver batting ninth. No Trumbo or no Bourjos. Still...

April 1st, 2013.

Top of the First… Angels Mike Trout lines Johnny Cueto's first pitch into the gap in right center for a double. Next AB, Callaspo walks. Pujols up… and hits a towering flyball to right for an long flyball out, runners can't advance. Hamilton up, strikes out swinging. Trumbo up, singles to left. Trout scores, Callaspo at second. Kendrick up, grounder to the infield, fielder's choice. End of the inning.

Angels 1-0.

Or 

Top of the First…. Angels Mike Trout lines Johnny Cueto's first pitch into the gap in right center for a double. Next AB, Bourjos bunts to the third baseline, Frazier hesitates with the throw to first, Trout gets to third, Bourjos beats the throw. Pujols up towering flyball out to right, Trout scores on the sacrifice, throw goes to second, too late for Bourjos. Hamilton up, strikes out, Bourjos steals third on the second pitch. Trumbo up, singles to left. Bourjos scores. Trumbo advances to second on the throw home. Kendrick up, high chopper to the infield, throw is rushed, over Votto's head. Trumbo scores from second. Kendrick to 2nd on the error. Iannetta up, singles to left, Kendrick scores from second, Iannetta to second on the throw. Callaspo walks. Aybar up, singles to short center. Bases loaded, Trout hits a grand slam, chases Cueto after 2/3 of an inning. Bourjos strikes out to end the inning.

Angels 8-0.

Okay, I forgot they are going to be in Cincinnati, hence no DH. Push this to Arlington on April 5. 

The lineup in Cincinnati will obviously have Weaver batting ninth. No Trumbo or no Bourjos. Still...

orrrrr.....

Top of the First... Angels Mike Trout hits a solo home run...Callaspo singles....Pujols hits a 2-run HR...Hamilton hits a solo HR....Trumbo hits a solo HR

Callaspo I don't like in the two hole. I don't like my number 2 hitter (one of the most important spots in the lineup) to have an OPS under .700.

I'd like a guy with better pop than Callaspo too. This is why Iannetta gets my vote. He could crush hitting between Trout and Pujols.

I kind of like the idea of a base clogger in front of Pujols.

Keeps him from doing stupid shit on the base paths.

Who am I kidding? He runs with his head down.

Aybar: Trout singles to lead off, takes off on 2nd pitch to Aybar who grounds a ball to the shortstop, since Trout was running, safe at 2nd, one out.  Pujols up, hits a deep fly to CF, Trout tags to 3rd, 2 outs.  Hamilton hits a double off high wall in RF (would've been a HR in Texas), Trout scores.  Trumbo strikes out.

Callaspo: Trout single, steals 2nd base.  Callaspo grounds out to 3rd, Trout unable to advance.  However, same result, Pujols fly, Ham double, Trumbo K, Angels score 1 run.

Kendrick: Trout single, Howie GIDP, Albert flies out to deep CF, end of inning.

Bourjos: Trout single, steals 2B, Boujros bunts him over to 3B, beats the throw, 1st and 3rd nobody out.  Pujols deep fly to CF scores Trout, Bourjos advances to 2B, one out.  Hamilton doubles, Bourjuos scores.  Trumbo strikes out, 2 outs.  Kendrick grounds out sharply to end the inning.

I like the Bourjos scenario.  

I'm optimistic about Bourjo's ability to hit enough, but there's no way I would put him at the top of the lineup until he actually shows it.

The fact that he's fast and can bunt isn't nearly enough for me to want to see him there.

Aybar: Trout singles to lead off, takes off on 2nd pitch to Aybar who grounds a ball to the shortstop, since Trout was running, safe at 2nd, one out.  Pujols up, hits a deep fly to CF, Trout tags to 3rd, 2 outs.  Hamilton hits a double off high wall in RF (would've been a HR in Texas), Trout scores.  Trumbo strikes out.

Callaspo: Trout single, steals 2nd base.  Callaspo grounds out to 3rd, Trout unable to advance.  However, same result, Pujols fly, Ham double, Trumbo K, Angels score 1 run.

Kendrick: Trout single, Howie GIDP, Albert flies out to deep CF, end of inning.

Bourjos: Trout single, steals 2B, Boujros bunts him over to 3B, beats the throw, 1st and 3rd nobody out.  Pujols deep fly to CF scores Trout, Bourjos advances to 2B, one out.  Hamilton doubles, Bourjuos scores.  Trumbo strikes out, 2 outs.  Kendrick grounds out sharply to end the inning.

I like the Bourjos scenario.  

aybar: trout single, aybar fouls off multiple pitches out of the strike zone with trout trying to steal.  Trout gets tired.  pulls a hammy on a weak aybar grounder to 1b.  Trout out at second.  Wells replaces trout in the OF.  Trout on the DL.  Aybar gets picked off.  Pujols doubles.  Hamilton singles.  Pujols out at home after running through an ebel stop sign.  Hurts his knee.  Pujols to the DL.

Callaspo:  Trout singles.  Steals 2b on the 5th pitch in the AB.  Callaspo walks.  Pujols sac fly.  Hamilton double.  Callaspo to third.  Trumbo sac fly.  Howie double, hamilton scores. Ianetta walks.  Aybar tries to bunt for a single but get thrown out.  Three runs. 

Kendrick:  Trout singles.  Trout steals on a low and away slider in the dirt that kendrick swings and misses on.  Trout steal third on another low and away slider that kendrick misses.  Kendrick grounds out.  Trout scores. Pujols flies out.  Hamilton doubles. Trumbo k's.  1 run

Bourjos:  Trout singles.  Bourjos whiffs on three pitches.  Trout tries to steal but bourjos called for catchers interference and trout out.  Pujols flies out.

Ianetta:  Trout singles.  Steals 2b.  Ianetta walks.  Pujols grounds into a triple play.

no to howie in the # 2 spot.

During his career Howie has put up the following OPS batting in the following positions in the line-up

batting 2nd - .694 OPS (784 PA's)

batting 5th - .715 OPS (419 PA's)

batting 6th - .783 OPS (648 PA's)

batting 7th - .807 OPS (784 PA's)

His lowest OPS comes when he bats 2nd in the line-up and increases as he moves down in the line-up.

During 2012, with Pujols, etc. behind him, Howie put up the following OPS in the following positions in the line-up

batting 2nd - .717 OPS (92 PA's)

batting 5th - .600 OPS (174 PA's)

batting 6th - .772 OPS (188 PA's)

batting 7th - .816 OPS (127 PA's)

Again, his lowest OPS came batting in the 7th spot in the order.

Rather than make Howie fit into the 2-hole (hehe)...it makes more sense to let him bat in a position in the line-up he is obviously more comfortable in, its obvious they will get more production out of him. Howie just has not performed well batting 2nd.

How many of those AB's in the 2 spot were in front of Pujols outside of last April when Pujols was back to being Pujols?

I just think he is better equipped and can do more damage with a fastball than Aybar can.

How many of those AB's in the 2 spot were in front of Pujols outside of last April?

I just think he is better equipped and can do more damage with a fastball than Aybar can.

lol...i don't know..you look it up. I found all that other stuff

I cringe at the thought of Aybar in the #2 spot.  He would be an awful #2 hitter, not giving Trout a chance to steal bases and not a high OBP in front of our power hitters.  The #2 hitters job isn't to drive in the #1 hitter, it is to get on base and score runs for your 3-5 hitters.

A

Trout singles.

Kendrick GIDP.

Pujols singles, thrown out at 2nd.

B

Trout singles.

Aybar sac bunt. Trout to 2nd.

Pujols singles. Trout scores.

Throw home cut off, Pujols out at 2nd.

Hamilton strikes out.

C

Trout singles.

Bourjos whiffs on sac bunt attempt, Trout steals 2nd.

Bourjos strikes out.

Pujols singles. Trout scores, Pujols out at 2nd.

Hamilton strikes out.

D

Trout singles.

Trout steals 2nd.

Callaspo walks on 7 pitches.

Pujols singles.

Trout scores, Callaspo to 2nd, Pujols out at 2nd.

Hamilton strikes out.

Trumbo strikes out.

E

Trout singles.

Trout steals 2nd.

Iannetta singles, Trout scores.

Pujols safe on FC, Iannetta out at 2nd, Pujols out at 2nd.

Hamilton strikes out.

Howie is a good fastball hitter, but I don't know that he'll really see that many more fastballs batting between Trout and Pujols.

There really wasn't a big jump in the number Torii saw last year.

Correct. Hunter said he was more patient at the plate hitting between Trout and Pujols. You saw the success. This is the reason I want a guy who sees more pitches and doesn't strikeout much in the 2-spot. Callaspo is his name!

This isn't correct.

Your best hitters go #3 and #4.  Your contact + speed goes #1.  #2 goes to the guy who is fast, can bunt, can move runners over and avoids grounding into double-plays.  If he has pop, that's a plus.  Additionally, batting a right-handed hitter 2nd may not be as smart as a left-handed (or switch-hitter) because the amount of real-estate that is open on the right side of the field is larger when the first baseman is holding a runner on.

My vote goes to Aybar 100%.  Callaspo, eh...I'd rather see him where he's been since he's been here.  Near the bottom.  He's fairly productive there, leave him.

By the way, when's the last time we have seen Kendrick bunt?  Also, last year he grounded into a career high 26 double plays.  Howie swings more freely than Aybar...especially at the first pitch.  NOT the kind of guy we need batting #2.

Nope, your fifth best hitter should hit number three. 

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

If you look at fangraphs, the numbers (last year's only) tell somewhat of an interesting story.  Between Aybar, Kendrick, Callaspo and Bourjos...here's what it looks like:

Aybar and Callaspo made contact 90.2% and 90.1% of the time respectively.  However, Aybar swung at more pitches out of the strikezone.

Kendrick swings at a percentage similar to Aybar, yet only maded contact 79.6% of the time.

Bourjos is more similar to Callaspo, yet only made contact 78.7% of the time.

Some more numbers:

Aybar batted .432 (16 for 37) with 2 walks and 1 strikeout in the number 2 hole last year.  .475 OBP.  1 GIDP

Kendrick batted .273 (24 for 88) with 3 walks and 23 strikeouts.  .297 OBP.  2 GIDP

Callaspo batted .260 (19 for 73) with 8 walks with 5 strikeouts.  .333 OBP.   1 GIDP

Bourjos batted .333 (1 for 3) with 3 walks, 0 strikeouts.  .667 OBP.  1 GIDP  (Obviously, limited time batting 2nd - or anywhere for that matter)

In my lineup, Kendrick is not batting 2nd for me.  I just don't think we're going to see Bourjos batting 2nd.  It has to be between Aybar and Callaspo.  I have to have high-contact hitters...unfortunately, neither Aybar or Callaspo have high OBP numbers.  Tough decision.  I'm sticking with Aybar.

So far in this thread it's been mentioned numerous times that a guy hitting between Trout and Pujols will "see more fastballs" as though it's a fact. Is there any research to support this? If I'm a pitcher and I have Trout on first, or even if he's not I'm trying to get the guy out at the plate. If Howie Kendrick is up there why would I throw him a fastball when I know he's a good fastball hitter? Why am I pitching him any differently than if I have Aybar hitting behind him?

April 1st, 2013.

Angels 1-0.

Or 

Angels 8-0.

When did Texas trade for Johnny Cueto? Why is he their fourth starter?

So far in this thread it's been mentioned numerous times that a guy hitting between Trout and Pujols will "see more fastballs" as though it's a fact. Is there any research to support this? If I'm a pitcher and I have Trout on first, or even if he's not I'm trying to get the guy out at the plate. If Howie Kendrick is up there why would I throw him a fastball when I know he's a good fastball hitter? Why am I pitching him any differently than if I have Aybar hitting behind him?

The thought is, if Trout is on first or second, the pitcher is less likely to throw breaking balls because it would make it easier for Trout to steal 2nd or 3rd. It's not to say a breaking ball won't be thrown at all. But a higher percentage of fastballs are usually thrown when a speed guy is on base. If Trout is not on base, then whoever bats 2nd should be looking for a way to get on base. That is when the OBP comes into play. That is why people like Ianetta batting 2nd. (will never happen). I just see Kendrick, who can hit to all fields, being able to succeed more with Trout on base rather than Aybar or Callaspo. It might just take the idea of Kendrick bunting out of Scioscia's head as Kendrick is not as good of a bunter as Bourjos or Aybar. Not to say he would never ask him to do it. But I think he would ask a lot less of Kendrick.