• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reasons Why Callaspo, NOT Aybar Should Bat Second

Chuck

Aybar

Kendrick

Callaspo

Bourjos

Ianetta

Bourjos moves update the list if he gets to hittin

+1

I know some have suggested that there's no evidence the #2 hitter will see more fastballs, but you'd have to be a dunce of a pitcher to not throw strikes with Trout on 1B AND Pujols on deck, followed by Hamilton.  Torii was one of the most aggressive free swinging hitters on this team and Trout still stole 49 bags.  The Angels will need a hitter who can take advantage of the fastball, and that's either Aybar or Kendrick.  With Aybar being a switch hitter, I think it should be his spot to lose.  Why anyone would want Callaspo just because he's supposedly a "patient" hitter is beyond me.  He'll be looking at too many strike 3 call fastballs if that's the case.

And FYI, Aybar and Kendrick were 2 of the best fastball hitting Angels in 2012.  Callaspo...one of the worst.  If due to his bat speed, I doubt his extra weight will make things easier.

Kendrick hasn't hit 2nd with Trout leading off yet. I think he should get that chance. Completely different dynamic than having Aybar or Izturis leading off which is who he hit behind last season.

I don't really believe in lineup protection, but I do believe hitting behind a guy that runs means more fastballs, especially if it's Pudge Rodriguez behind the plate.  Kendrick as a whole hasn't hit well in the 2 spot save for 2011 when he posted an OPS 0f .872 in 197 plate appearances there, no idea whether or not he was being sent up there to do something specific or whatever, but he can hit fastballs pretty well.  We can all roster-bate all we want, But I think we all know when it's said and done that MS will try Howie there at some point.  He will also try Callaspo, and Aybar, and likely PB.  The first time HK hits into a DP the usual suspects will act like it's the end of the world.  The first time Callaspo goes 0-3 with a walk, people will clamor for Jimenez.  The first time Aybar bunts for strike 3, people will call him stupid.

Circle of life...

I don't really believe in lineup protection, but I do believe hitting behind a guy that runs means more fastballs, especially if it's Pudge Rodriguez behind the plate.  Kendrick as a whole hasn't hit well in the 2 spot save for 2011 when he posted an OPS 0f .872 in 197 plate appearances there, no idea whether or not he was being sent up there to do something specific or whatever, but he can hit fastballs pretty well.  We can all roster-bate all we want, But I think we all know when it's said and done that MS will try Howie there at some point.  He will also try Callaspo, and Aybar, and likely PB.  The first time HK hits into a DP the usual suspects will act like it's the end of the world.  The first time Callaspo goes 0-3 with a walk, people will clamor for Jimenez.  The first time Aybar bunts for strike 3, people will call him stupid.

Circle of life...

We all have our opinions about the lineup, but at the end of the day when Mike rolls out his lineup on opening day, I've moved on from mine and will root on the Halos for a victory. We all know Mike won't keep a consistent lineup all season long anyhow. If Callaspo doesn't hit well this spring, he probably won't get to hit in the #2 spot. So far from what I've seen from him this spring, he's out of character, swinging are more pitches early in the count opposed to working it... But that could be because he's hitting lower in the lineup too in RBI situations. 

LOL @ roster-bate

And FYI, Aybar and Kendrick were 2 of the best fastball hitting Angels in 2012. Callaspo...one of the worst.

Aybar and Callaspo, yes. Aybar was good, Callaspo was bad. But your claim on Kendrick is false. He was second worst on the team against fastballs last season and hasn't performed well against fastballs since 2009. Out of 143 qualified hitters in 2012, Kendrick ranked 114th in his performance against fastballs. Over the last three years he hasn't been the amazing fastball hitter that we knew him to be in the minors and over the first part of his big league career.

Aybar and Callaspo, yes. Aybar was good, Callaspo was bad. But your claim on Kendrick is false. He was second worst on the team against fastballs last season and hasn't performed well against fastballs since 2009. Out of 143 qualified hitters in 2012, Kendrick ranked 114th in his performance against fastballs. Over the last three years he hasn't been the amazing fastball hitter that we knew him to be in the minors and over the first part of his big league career.

According to what I was looking at, he hit .337 overall against fastballs last year.  He hit .403 against anything over the plate (not just in the strike zone).  He hit worst with a .158 BA against fastballs on the inside and off the plate.

I will admit I only compared him to Aybar and Callaspo from last year since they're probably the only other realistic choices for the 2 spot.

Collaspo wasn't bad last year.  Just slightly below average offensively and above average defensively.  Equalling to someone who is just average.

He was way below average offensively and capable defensively. He doesn't screw up plays often, but doesn't have Aybar's range for instance, so he doesn't make errors. Also, he is short, so a lot of balls get over his head. Which from a fielding metric standpoint adds up to him being good defensively.

I also believe that a position player is judged on five tools, not just two. 1) Can he hit for average / get on base at a reasonable clip?? Callaspo has hit for nice averages in the past, but mostly no he doesn't. He does get on base often, due to his high walk total. Ok, then give him one point. 2) Can he hit for power? Slugging percentage is not a great metric, but he was 133rd of 143 qualified players in slugging percentage in 2012. Meaning almost every player in the majors with regular playing time hit for more power. So no. 3) Does he have speed? He had the same number of stolen bases as Miguel Cabrera in 2012. So. No. 4) Throwing arm. He has a good arm. 5) Fielding Ability. He's average at 3rd, can play 2nd. Probably ok in the OF. 

So, there you have it…average fielding skills, below average hitter, poor base running skills. So… 

He's very good defensively, and if he hits like he did in 2009 or 2011...he's more than adequate. His 2010 and 2012 seasons really sucked though. Here's hoping we get at least a .350 OBP out of him this year.

its an odd year so we should be good

I notice that in Aybar's absence during the WBC, we've seen quite a bit of rotation in this spot.  Callaspo, Kendrick and Bourjos have all appeared there.

My gut feeling is that Aybar's probably going to hit 2nd 75% of the time, with the other 25% being rotation between Kendrick, Callaspo and Bourjos.  The issue has been beat to death about who the best fit in, and while I still believe its Bourjos (gorgeous bunt and HR today btw), I just think my biggest overall concern is that whatever flaw these guys have, could in turn hurt Trout and thus the Angels ability to score. 

- Aybar, if the AB only lasts 2 pitches, Trout really doesn't have a lot of opportunity to make things happen.

- Callaspo, can't bunt, which means Trout absolutely has to be on the move because Callaspo can't sac him over.

- Kendrick, Trout can't be of much use if Kendrick leads the league in GIDP.

- Bourjos, he's going to swing and miss.

Of all the weaknesses, I see Bourjos' as the least of all evils because it doesn't affect Trout's ability or opportunity to steal and Bourjos can still bunt and motor.