• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reasons Why Callaspo, NOT Aybar Should Bat Second

Chuck

i dont. I think he will hit better, as he has historically, in the lower half of the order. Aybar was outstanding hitting between Trout and Pujols last year and I think he can continue that at least enough to be a valuable piece there. Callaspo took a couple steps back last year and I am not convinced that will change If he gets back on track, fine give him a shot there.

I think batting lines are vastly overrated. That said, you want your best hitters higher in the lineup so they get more PAs over the course of the season.

Kendrick, Callaspo, Ianneta and Aybar would probably be best for #2 spot. I'm quite open to:

Trout

Hamilton

Pujols

Trumbo

Kendrick

Ianneta

Callaspo

Aybar

Bourjos

Callaspo is a good hitter. Strikes out the least on the team, sees more pitches, can crush fastballs and handles the equally as well as Aybar.

Callaspo to me is the clear choice for #2. Aybar is better down in the order.

BTW, Aybar is 0-5 tonight hitting between Jose Reyes and Robinson Cano :-)

I was a fan of Aybar being there at first, but he's just gonna swing too much.  Trout will be stealing 6 times and aybar is gonna be fouling off pitches out of the zone.  Callaspo is the only one capable of a .360obp and need only hit about .280 to do so.  aybar needs to hit .330 to have an obp of .360.  Not gonna happen.  If we were gonna give someone a shot based purely on speculative potential, I would rather it be Howie. 

I was a fan of Aybar being there at first, but he's just gonna swing too much.  Trout will be stealing 6 times and aybar is gonna be fouling off pitches out of the zone.  Callaspo is the only one capable of a .360obp and need only hit about .280 to do so.  aybar needs to hit .330 to have an obp of .360.  Not gonna happen.  If we were gonna give someone a shot based purely on speculative potential, I would rather it be Howie. 

Callaspo has only had two years with a .360+ OBP, his average is .335.  Of course, he could benefit from being between Trout and Pujols (as might anyone in that position).

the thing is, it hasn't played out that way so far. And I'm not convinced Callaspo will hit .280 .360 ever out of the 2 slot. he has never really hit that well there.

I think too much is being made of splits in a specific spot in the batting order.

the point of looking at the splits is because some players tend to perform better in certain spots in the order. Callaspo has never really performed well in that slot. It's a part of the picture.

By most recently, you mean the 43 PAs he got there last year?

That hardly seems like a useful tool in determining who should hit in a spot in the order.

And I still think the idea that Callaspo isn't a good fit for the spot because he hasn't put up the numbers in limited opportunities in that slot is dubious at best.

yes it is a small sample, but it is also the only sample we have as a sandwich between Trout and Pujols. He has shown us that he can do well there so let him go and see what he can sustain. And as I stated before, Callaspo took a couple steps back last year at the plate. If he gets it together I wouldn't mind him hitting there to see how he does. Ultimately, I really don't think it matters much at all and I think fears of Aybar killing the top of the order production are unfounded.

Callaspo I don't like in the two hole. I don't like my number 2 hitter (one of the most important spots in the lineup) to have an OPS under .700.

I'd like a guy with better pop than Callaspo too. This is why Iannetta gets my vote. He could crush hitting between Trout and Pujols.