• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The thing I don't understand about Scioscia defenders

I'm not the type of person to call for management's head.

But I find myself shaking my head at some of his decisions.  Some he makes night in and night out.  And it's happened more and more this season than ever.

to me it's not even about his in-game decisions, which have been questionable, but are at least arguable. It's about the team looking unprepared, uninspired, and sloppy for years now.

I only defend him these days when the person isn't using logic when they are bashing him. For example, when someone wants him fired right now. My point would be, why now? Let him play out the string and handle it in the off season. The other time I defend him is when he is called out for being a boring interview, who really cares. Lastly I defend him when he is called out this season for his bullpen management. They all suck so what's the point.

Are there still Scioscia defenders?

I think a lot of us don't care either way, and strangely even say so but the anti-Sosh crowd lumps us in with them.

I think Wally just misconstrues rational logic and empirical facts opposed to feelings and emotions....like the team is playing with no heart, like it is a gauged stat. For the most part these defenders seem to be the logic rebuttalists, which is probably pointless because like this thread some don't get the actual posts and arguments and clearly just want to group sides.

You even see clowns erroneously throw around Pollyanna if it doesn't fit with their pouting.

I also think a lot of people, while not pro-Sosh, at least can see no coach is going to correct our injuries or plethora of under performing players.

That and the fact the fire Sosh crowd doesn't even come up with viable solutions and seem to always just knee jerk pout here after every loss looking for a scapegoat.

If you could offer me a guarantee that by firing Scioscia the team as currently constructed would suddenly start playing significantly better and contend for the division title in 2014, I'd say "Thanks for the memories, Mike."

But since you can't do that, I'd just as soon keep him. He's an exceptional big league manager. He represents a stability in that role that this franchise had never experienced in the nearly 40 years that preceded his hiring. He's as even-keeled as you could ask of a manager, not visibly riding the highs and lows of a season. Most players, with the exception of a handful, seem to like playing for him.

I don't think it's Scioscia's fault as much as people make it out to be. But I do understand there has to be a fall guy somewhere. When this team was successful, it was built completely different. They had solid pitching, solid bullpen, were aggressive but smart on the base paths, and played great defense. They manufactured runs by getting on base, moving runners, going first to third. They don't do that anymore. We have too many free swingers on this team. That's why I don't think Trumbo has a place on this team. He's a one dimensional player and that doesn't fit into what Mike Scioscia does. Remember back when everyone was raving over the Mike Scioscia style of baseball? Then the Angels started getting players who didn't fit that mold and crappy pitchers and look where they are now.

. Most players, with the exception of a handful, seem to like playing for him.

Really?  I've never heard a manager called out by former players as much as Mike Scioscia has been.  In fact I've never heard a manager called out by any player except Mike Scioscia and that says it all.

I'm like MS as a manager and have no problem him coming back next season. I also have no problem with a new manager but that doesn't necessarily mean things will change. I could see the fans here calling for the new managers head within a couple seasons or sooner ... reference Jerry Dipoto.

No manager in baseball makes all the right moves ... much like a great hitter doesn't get a hit every at bat. It's gets troubling that fans here expect Arte to keeping eating contracts if things don't go the way they want.

My best guess, if Scioscia is relieved of duties ... they will hire a young inexpensive manager as his replacement and Scioscia moved into the front office. Cardinals is a good reference point amongst others.

have they not paid attention to the Boston Red Sox the past 3 years?  Is it not painfully apparent that a new manager can inspire a group of players to play at their maximum potential?

I'm sure the reason the Sox are doing better is because of the manager not because Pedroia came back and they have a very different team than last season. It's definitely not that they traded away a bunch of over paid past their prime veterans for good young players that represented a major upgrade in talent.