• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OK, Trading Time

Also keep in mind gents, I was taking my guess at what the Angels would do, I wasn't specifically stating what I'd do.  Though I've heard the Angels connected to Hellcikson for two years now and have fell in the love with the idea more and more, I'm also cognizant of the fact that a big reason why this deal hasn't been completed yet despite discussions the last two years is simply the Rays asking price.  When Trumbo was offered for Hellickson straight up a couple years back, the Rays were smart to consider it but say no because as a pitcher, they knew Hellickson's long term value was only going to get higher.  Fast forward to present day and while the Rays could still use Trumbo in the middle of their lineup, I think it's safe to say it'd take more than just Mark Trumbo to land Jeremy Hellickson.  Which is why Kendrick, Cron and Grichuk would do the trick I think.  Kendrick takes over 2B, Zobrist moves to RF, Myers to LF.  Cron serves as DH starting midway through next year and a couple months after that, Grichuk's ready to come up and contribute offensively.  It'd quite literally change the entire face of that franchise, they'd finally have the offense in place long term to go with their elite pitching.  

But being the optimist that I am, I feel the Angels will eventually get their prize. 

Wow. This is interesting and very good news.

Lindsey is ready to at least hold his own and Romine/Nelson could work for a rebuilding year. Love it.

Lindsey couldn't be that much worse than a guy whose OPS is up and down like the stock market.

Kendrick WAS at .863 OPS some 5 weeks back, and is now around .790.

Aybar needs to stay though, as Stamets is still some 1 1/2 years away and Rondon is still some 3-4 years away.

Iannetta can go and they can sign a veteran presence behind the plate in the off-season to mentor Conger.

Callaspo can go, and they can go get a 1-2 year stop gap until Cowart is ready.

Jepsen does NOT have the juevos to pitch well in clutch spots. At age 29, I've waited more than long enough for his act to change. Good bye!

With Morin arriving sometime in 2014, or even this September, see if you can center around Frieri to get Smyly.

Bourjos stays, and either Calhoun or Trumbo is traded. I wish we could keep Calhoun, but that loser bat Hackilton mucks everything up.

I don't trust Hanson, Williams, or Blanton as the 5th starter, although I like Williams in the pen. Richards has to finally show that he can start all season by 2014.

I don't like the idea of trading Grichuk, but again having that washed up POS bat Hackilton mucks up everything.

Speaking of which, I finally acknowledge that Pujols may have been an important signing.

The problem is following that up with signing a guy who they should have known (due to past drug use) would break down soon from it.

It's not Pujols messing up the roster as much as Hackilton and his POS sub .700 OPS.

Yarbrough, Borenstein, and Wood is too much for the meh Ian Kennedy.

I think many here have way, way too much faith in our position "prospects" being at least MLB regulars. History indicates it is best to be very cautious only seeing upside.

If we trade Aybar and or Kendrick their replacement probably comes from free agency. Somebody we can land at a discount on a one year deal due to our substantial payroll issues next year.

Orioles Willing To Move Dylan Bundy
By Tim Dierkes [July 29 at 8:39am CST]

The aggressive Orioles are "even willing to move" top prospect Dylan Bundy "for the right return," sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.  Perhaps any player can be moved for the right return, but Rosenthal's report implies the Orioles are more willing to listen on Bundy than teams usually are on top prospects.

Bundy, 20, was generally regarded as one of the three best prospects in baseball prior to the season.  He was drafted fourth overall in 2011 out of high school and rocketed through the minors last year despite delicate handling by the Orioles.  However, the righty underwent Tommy John surgery last month, dropping him to 11th on Keith Law's midseason list for ESPN and 17th on Baseball America's list.

The Orioles are targeting Jake PeavyJustin Morneau, and Michael Young, writes Rosenthal, confirming previous reports.  I think it's clear Bundy would not be involved in discussions for those players, even Peavy.  I imagine a Bundy trade is unlikely, but if he is dealt, it would involve a big name not currently in the rumor mill much.  As Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports noted, Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos has the ability to be a game-changer, on the remote chance he gets an offer enticing enough to move Jose Bautista or Edwin 

Tigers Acquire Jose Veras

By Tim Dierkes [July 29 at 9:02am CST]

The Tigers acquired reliever Jose Veras from the Astros, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.  The Astros received outfielder Danry Vasquez and a player to be named later, tweets Brian McTaggart of the Houston Chronicle.  The PTBNL will be decided on or before September 15th.

Veras, 32, has successfully served as the Astros' closer this year after signing a one-year, $2MM free agent deal in December.  In a big benefit to his trade value, Veras' contract includes a $3.25MM club option for 2014.  "We are pleased to add an experienced arm to our bullpen," Tigers' president, CEO, and GM Dave Dombrowski said in a statement.   "Jose can pitch in a variety of roles, provides depth in the bullpen, and complements the roles ofJoaquin Benoit and Drew Smyly."  Veras has a 2.93 ERA, 9.2 K/9, 2.9 BB/9, 0.84 HR/9, and 45.3% groundball rate in 43 innings this year.  He's always thrown hard and racked up strikeouts, but this year he's been able to trim his walk rate significantly.  The Tigers add Veras at a time their larger bullpen concerns seemed behind them.  They entered the season with uncertainty at closer, and re-signed Jose Valverde to a minor league deal in April.  Valverde saved nine games for the club, but was removed from the closer role in late June and ultimately replaced by Benoit.

Vasquez "adds to an already formidable group of prospects at the A ball level," Astros GM Jeff Luhnow said in a statement.  The 19-year-old left fielder was hitting .281/.333/.390 in his second stint for the Tigers' Low-A club.  Prior to the season, Baseball America ranked Vasquez sixth among Tigers prospects, noting that the offensive-minded Venezuelan "projects as a solid hitter with plus power potential."  The Veras trade is Luhnow's second this month, as he acquired Ronald Torreyes from the Cubs for international bonus pool money.  "There's nothing else close at this point," McTaggart quotes Luhnow as saying this morning.  StarterBud Norris is thought to be the Astros' other major trade chip this month.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--jake-peavy-the-best-of-a-thin-trade-market-as-players-brace-for-biogenesis-suspensions-052915787.html

Santana’s days as a trade chip again seem to be dwindling. Following the Royals’ sixth consecutive win that brought them back to .500 Sunday, the team no longer is considering selling Santana or reliever Luke Hochevar for future pieces, sources said. Kansas City wants major league-quality players who can help for a playoff run, the sources said, with the focus on upgrading their second-base black hole. Kendrick would be a perfect fit, and the Royals do have Danny Duffy, one of the hardest-throwing left-handers in baseball, stashed away at Triple-A coming off Tommy John surgery.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/duffyda01.shtml

No. Career WHIP of 1.61 and ERA of 5.28.

In fact, **** no!

I don't think we match up well for Bundy. It would take a major piece for a club to acquire him.

You cannot see Duffy's stats in isolation. His stuff is quite good. If he recovers 100% from TJ surgery he would become our top prospect.

Except that he's now had 133 innings in the majors. No longer a prospect.

Well to me personally, the most exciting components in the system aren't as well known.  

1. Kole Calhoun - I think he's a legit major league starter and will be a great asset for the Angels now and in the future.  Left-handed, great plate discipline, power, very good defense, speed, intelligence.  He's going to be quite good. 

2. Jose Rondon - Great approach at the plate, very similar to Trout in that when he walks on the filed, you can just tell that athletically, he's on a completely different level than everyone around him.  He's going to be a good offensive SS with a refined game that makes it to the Major LEagues by age 22/23. 

3. Natanael Delgado - Very similar to Rondon.  Spent no time in DSL, was signed for a lot of money, came straight stateside and is just killing everyone in the AZL.  He's very young and very raw, but he's just oozing tools. 

4. The future RP.  I'm talking Mike Morin, R.J. Alvarez, Nick Maronde and Cam Bedrosian.  Very projectable arms could pay big dividends in the majors. 

5. The plethora of young SP just making it's way through the lower levels.  Hunter Green we all know about and yeah, I really like him.  But I'm also talking about Arjenis Fernadez, Kyle McGowin, Reid Scoggins, Cole Swanson, Yency Almonte, Victor Alcantara, Dan Hurtado, Gabe Perez and Key Middleton.  That's a ton of young pitching talent that's all the result of Dipoto and Ric Wilson.  I'm not saying they'll all be starters or even major leaguers.  But with a crop that deep, you're bound to come across at least two or three that will do big things as starters. 

I agree with most of what you've said in this thread, Scotty, but you really nailed it with this post - I like your optimistic, but realistic, take on the merits of the farm system. Like you, I think Calhoun has been underrated. I like to tout my horn as being high on him when he arrived, even when others here were saying he wouldn't make it far. I think he is a legit major league starter, perhaps even a borderline star.

I'm also most excited about Rondon and Delgado - both seem to have the tools to be elite prospects. The caveat emptor being so does/did Chevy Clarke and Ryan Bolden. But unlike those two duds, Rondon and Delgado are actually having success in professional baseball. My sense is that Rondon has a higher floor but a slightly lower ceiling than Delgado, who could be either a superstar or a flame-out once he faces AA breaking pitches. Now if someone could actually work with his plate discipline, jeez.

I agree with most of what you've said in this thread, Scotty, but you really nailed it with this post - I like your optimistic, but realistic, take on the merits of the farm system. Like you, I think Calhoun has been underrated. I like to tout my horn as being high on him when he arrived, even when others here were saying he wouldn't make it far. I think he is a legit major league starter, perhaps even a borderline star.

I'm also most excited about Rondon and Delgado - both seem to have the tools to be elite prospects. The caveat emptor being so does/did Chevy Clarke and Ryan Bolden. But unlike those two duds, Rondon and Delgado are actually having success in professional baseball. My sense is that Rondon has a higher floor but a slightly lower ceiling than Delgado, who could be either a superstar or a flame-out once he faces AA breaking pitches. Now if someone could actually work with his plate discipline, jeez.

Rondon and Delgado are much more grounded than Bolden and Clarke ever were.  I think growing up in Venezuela and the DR respectively will do that.  Rondon, like I have said before, could be a superstar.  If you watch the Owlz games you can see he is just leaps and bounds above everyone else, has incredible baseball instincts and is already a physical specimen.  All at the ripe age of 19.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was the 66ers opening day SS next year at the age of 20.

Delgado is different, like you said AJ.  Bigger swing, with arms and legs all over the place.  Great arm in the outfield, but let's wait and see until he looks at a curveball to determine what he can do at the plate.  Oozing tools.

As soon as the possibility of Aybar is mentioned, my brain starts screaming Wacha Wacha Wacha.  It would rule.

Oddly enough, if the Angels hadn't signed Albert, Wacha could very well be in the Angels farm system right now.    He's got future ace written all over him.

Given this season, trade scenarios are perhaps the only useful exercise remaining for Angel's fans.  Some thought provoking scenarios in here, however, no matter what trades are made among the supporting cast, the specter of aging Pujols & Hamilton (who aren't going anywhere) gumming up the lineup for years to come remains.  

The optimistic among us will hope Pujols returns healthy and Hamilton somehow exorcises the demons at the plate.  Either way, the Angels should address the long term problems at catcher, 3B, and more recently with SP.   The challenge at hand is to offset the known (and untradeable) liabilities, and get younger.  It took the Angel's years to dig this hole.  Will likely require years to climb out.