• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OK, Trading Time

I'm finally willing to concede defeat. Actually, I was ready yesterday but today further seals the deal.

So let's take a look at what the Angels have, who is staying and who might be going. The conventional wisdom is that the Angels won't trade big because of the way the team is configured - to (hopefully) win within the next few years, while Weaver, Wilson, and Hamilton are still around. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Dipoto clean out a lot of parts in order to create some breathing room. I also don't think Dipoto will dive deep into the minors, unless he ends up trading an excess player like Cron or Grichuk, but even those guys will probably be kept to see if they can up their trade value.

Definitely Staying: Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, Weaver, Burnett, Madson

Probably Staying: Bourjos, Aybar, Kendrick, Callaspo, Conger, Field, Cowgill, Wilson, Richards, Hanson, Blanton, Vargas, Jepsen, Kohn, Williams

Possible Trade Candidates: Trumbo, Shuck, Iannetta, Calhoun, De La Rosa, Frieri + minor leaguers: Jimenez, Cron, Grichuk

Serious Trade Candidate: Downs

Downs, in my view, is the only player likely to be traded. The next group up are all possible, but they either don't have enough value to part with (Iannetta, Shuck, De La Rosa) or Dipoto would have to get the right deal (Trumbo, Calhoun, Frieri).

The four I say are "definitely staying" are relatively obvious - Trout because he's Trout, Weaver because he's Weaver, Albert and Josh because they're untradeable. Burnett and Madson are on the DL so aren't going anywhere.

Of the next group, I don't think any are likely to be traded but I wouldn't be surprised. Most have little value and/or would be hard to trade with their contracts, but some have value but probably won't be traded as they're part of the core of the team (Bourjos, Aybar, Kendrick, Wilson).

So who will be traded?

Who knows. I think the most likely candidates, though, in terms of having some value for a decent return but limited utility for the future are Downs, Trumbo, De La Rosa, Frieri, and maybe Shuck.

Plus if Cards are desperate enough for a SS, id take a return of Martinez + their SS in AAA (Jackson?) for Aybar

I wouldn't care for that trade.   Kozma is a decent enough defender and cheap.   

I think the current Angel most Cardinal fans would like to see with Birds on the Bat is Peter Bourjos.

"Definitely Staying: Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, Weaver, Burnett, Madson

Probably Staying: Bourjos, Aybar, Kendrick, Callaspo, Conger, Field, Cowgill, Wilson, Richards, Hanson, Blanton, Vargas, Jepsen, Kohn, Williams

Possible Trade Candidates: Trumbo, Shuck, Iannetta, Calhoun, De La Rosa, Frieri + minor leaguers: Jimenez, Cron, Grichuk

Serious Trade Candidate: Downs"

I think that's a pretty good assessment.  

- Weaver and Wilson are needed to give some semblance of a rotation next season.  

- I'd keep Vargas and offer him a contract, definitely make him a qualifying offer.   

- Bourjos has value but he can't be traded while he's on the DL so he's not going this deadline.  Elite defensive CFers who can manage a .750 OPS are valuable commodity, so, if they do trade him, it better be for a solid SP propsect

- Conger is not untouchable but he has shown improvement defensively.  Truth is we don't have much in the way of catchers in the organization so I think he's more valuable to us then to another team, especially when your other options are Ianetta and Hester.

- Richards could be an answer at SP so, unless he's package with someone like Trumbo or Bourjos for someone special, I think they hang on to him to see what they have for next season.

- Hanson will bring nothing so start him all season and see if he can be an option for 2014

- Blanton will bring nothing so keep him in the BP where he can't hurt anyone

- With Vargas and Hanson coming back, Jerome Williams will be back in the BP

- Jepsen need to go...somewhere...anywhere.  The guy has had many opportunities to prove he's an asset and he's taken a dump.

- I think one of Trumbo or Calhoun could be packaged but probably won't.  If Trumbo gets traded, it needs to be for SP.

- If you can get a starter from the Cardinals for Aybar, I think you'd have to consider it.

- Kendrick is in the same boat as Aybar...relatively cheap with no evident replacement.  Neither are untouchable.

- No reason to hang onto to Downs.  Try to get a solid, single A+ SP prospect in the deal.

Dipoto has some options...they are definitely sellers at this point

I think the current Angel most Cardinal fans would like to see with Birds on the Bat is Peter Bourjos.

I can understand why, for probably the same reasons I would like to see him kept: Speed, youth, already a Gold Glove level defender, will probably turn into a very good hitter if he can stay away from injuries. If I were St. Louis, he is the one guy on the Angels' roster who I would target. Strangely, there seem to be a number of people on here who see him as nothing more than trade bait.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this team did absolutely nothing at the trading deadline. The only way I can see that changing is if suspensions are announced before the deadline.  Trades will probably not happen until the offseason in which hopefully this team will get starting pitching.

Like I said in a thread yesterday. Send Kendrick (and Downs possibly) to the Dodgers for Zach Lee, Ross Stripling, and another prospect. Their fans are into it and both teams get what they need. We get two AA sp studs and they get their 2B for the next 3+ years plus Downs to strengthen their pen.

Interesting trade scenario.

Halos should trade an authentic and unworn Ryan Madson Angels uni

You are too simple minded. Someone needs to be convinced to part with a game worn commodity for the betterment of the team. When you are dealing with the advantage of a trade tool as precious as a Honus Wagner card, you MUST explore all trade scenarios.