• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OK, Trading Time

Teams that are ahead and in to win it all.  

Doggies.  Could use a 2B.

Braves.  Could use a SS.

Cards.  Could use a SS.

Maybe you could get them in a bidding war?  Wouldn't hurt to try at the very least.  But I would hate to help the Dogs.  And we have dealt with the Braves and the Cards before.  

well, it's not so much as 'giving up' on Frieri, it's more of a case, he's about the only real player of value we have that some contender would over-pay for.

As for Frieri, we really got him for a steal in a deal with the Padres last year -- so he cost us nothing -- he has performed very well for us and way over expectations.....

the analysis now has to be (and this is the economics of baseball today and for some time now) have we gotten the most value out of him before 1.) his skill/effectiveness declines and/or 2.) his salary demands increase to the point it exceeds his remaining value to us.

not sure about Frieri -- he came over from San Diego after having some real terrible outings and was in funk, couldn't get folks out -- change of scenery did him wonders, became our closer and has pitched effectively in most outings with a few blips which happens to every pitcher/ closer from time to time.......

so, have we squeezed the most value for the least amount of payment out of him and is it time to now cash in?  I think some team might be willing to over-pay for him as a set up guy down the stretch and a potential closer for next year and beyond........meanwhile, we could fetch a real starter prospect who could be in our rotation in 2015.........hard to say.  We must rebuild our farm system.

Teams that are ahead and in to win it all.  

Doggies.  Could use a 2B.

Braves.  Could use a SS.

Cards.  Could use a SS.

Maybe you could get them in a bidding war?  Wouldn't hurt to try at the very least.  But I would hate to help the Dogs.  And we have dealt with the Braves and the Cards before.  

?  The Braves have Andrelton Simmons, who might just be one of the best young SS in mlb.

contenders need pitching (rotation help -- good luck on that -- the best opp to receive an over-payment for a player, is a rotation rental guy dealt at deadline time) and pen help. Frieri is our best candidate for someone to over-pay US (for a change) for pitching......

the other thing teams need is  a power hitter for either DH duties or PH.

some teams like MIF or OF depth with a speedster/ defense oriented guy who can Pinch run in the 8th/9th inning and then play late inning D.

those are the kind of guys who can help teams down the stretch........

Trade market isn't great this year for 2 reasons in my opinion.

1. Addition of 2nd WC makes more teams believe they are contenders.

2. The growing trend of teams locking down their young talent early on.

Plus, look at what the price teams want for rental players.

This whole trade market is very chaotic. We may look back and see a team like the Rangers regret the acquisition of Garza because the prices may have gone down closer to the deadline. Or they may look like geniuses because the prices continue to rise the closer we get to the deadline.

Just seems like there is no way to know which way the wind will blow.

We might be witnessing the beginning of the Andrew Romine/Tommy Field era.

May they lead us to great glory.

It really wouldn't shock me to see Luis Jimenez at third base, Taylor Lindsey at second base with Tommy Field replacing Lindsey (and occassionally Jimenez) against left-handed pitchers.

?  The Braves have Andrelton Simmons, who might just be one of the best young SS in mlb.

Doesn't look like much offensively, but his War is huge which means he must be a beast on the defensive side.  So I guess between the Dogs and Cards.

Sources: Even as they dangle Joe Nathan, Rangers are seriously considering standing pat. Questions whether team is good enough to upgrade.

Since July 10, Rangers are 3-12 with minus-26 run differential. With big offseason ahead, it's legit question whether to put more into 2013.

I hope they spend a lot on a bat and still miss the playoffs. 

Sources: Even as they dangle Joe Nathan, Rangers are seriously considering standing pat. Questions whether team is good enough to upgrade.

Since July 10, Rangers are 3-12 with minus-26 run differential. With big offseason ahead, it's legit question whether to put more into 2013.

I hope they spend a lot on a bat and still miss the playoffs. 

I still don't understand their trade.  Good for us though.  

Contenders with possible needs at SS:

Braves (Andrelton is not hitting a lick)

Reds (ditto for Cozart)

Cards (Kozma has an OPS of .589)

Contenders with possible needs at 2B:

Rays (Zobrist goes back to being a superutility guy)

Contenders with needs at 1B:

Nationals (assuming that they think they're still contending, LaRoche has fallen off from last year)

Yankees

Pirates

Contenders with needs in OF:

Rays

Indians

Hey guys, just thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.  

1. I think Dipoto's just getting an early start on his homework for the offseason with Kednrick and Aybar.  They won't be dealt at the deadline. 

2. Scott Downs is a goner and I think he'll net the Angels a "B-" prospect.  Someone with as much value as Travis Witherspoon, decent solid prospect.

3. The Angels decided to become seller a bit late in the game so I don't think three days will be enough to really search out exactly what the Angels can get done. 

Anyway, here goes.  

Scott Downs traded to Atlanta for Luis Merejo

In the offseason the Angels will trade Howie Kendrick + 5 million, C.J. Cron and Randal Grichuk to the Tampa Bay Rays for Jeremy Hellickson.  They will also trade Alex Yarbrough, Zach Borenstein and Austin Wood to the D-Backs in return for Ian Kennedy.  

Next years rotation will be Weaver, Wilson, Hellickson, Kennedy and Richards. 

Contenders with possible needs at SS:

Braves (Andrelton is not hitting a lick)

Reds (ditto for Cozart)

Cards (Kozma has an OPS of .589)

Contenders with possible needs at 2B:

Rays (Zobrist goes back to being a superutility guy)

Contenders with needs at 1B:

Nationals (assuming that they think they're still contenging, LaRoche has fallen off from last year)

Yankees

Pirates

Contenders with needs in OF:

Rays

Indians

Thats a pretty bad list.

We match up well with

Pittsburg for Aybar

Oakland for Aybar

Tigers for Frieri/ possibly Aybar hinging on suspension to Peralta

St Louis for Aybar

Atlanta for Downs

Arizona for Downs

Baltimore for Howie

1. I think Dipoto's just getting an early start on his homework for the offseason with Kednrick and Aybar. They won't be dealt at the deadline.

2. Scott Downs is a goner and I think he'll net the Angels a "B-" prospect. Someone with as much value as Travis Witherspoon, decent solid prospect.

3. The Angels decided to become seller a bit late in the game so I don't think three days will be enough to really search out exactly what the Angels can get done.

Anyway, here goes.

Scott Downs traded to Atlanta for Luis Merejo.

In the offseason the Angels will trade Howie Kendrick + 5 million, C.J. Cron and Randal Grichuk to the Tampa Bay Rays for Jeremy Hellickson. They will also trade Alex Yarbrough, Zach Borenstein and Austin Wood to the D-Backs in return for Ian Kennedy.

That would kinda suck. Arent we trying to get younger? Agree on Downs to Braves. Either them or Arizona. Also agree on no big name being dealt until the offseason. But why does TB need Howie? Why would we want Kennedy? Arent we trying to get younger?

1. I think Dipoto's just getting an early start on his homework for the offseason with Kednrick and Aybar.  They won't be dealt at the deadline. 

2. Scott Downs is a goner and I think he'll net the Angels a "B-" prospect.  Someone with as much value as Travis Witherspoon, decent solid prospect.

Anyway, here goes.  

Scott Downs traded to Atlanta for Luis Merejo

In the offseason the Angels will trade Howie Kendrick + 5 million, C.J. Cron and Randal Grichuk to the Tampa Bay Rays for Jeremy Hellickson.  They will also trade Alex Yarbrough, Zach Borenstein and Austin Wood to the D-Backs in return for Ian Kennedy.  

And then who remains in the minors? Assuming these trades are made, you're talking about an infield of Callaspo/Aybar/Lindsey/Pujols and nobody to speak of as a prospect.

You know what would be great and totally unrealistic and has a 0% chance of happening? Halos trade Aybar and something else to the Cards for Wacha or Carlos Martinez and Kolten Wong. With them now having Kolten Wong(2B prospect), they can trade Howie for another SP

Yeah, that would rule

As soon as the possibility of Aybar is mentioned, my brain starts screaming Wacha Wacha Wacha.  It would rule.

I think I have a better handle on what the Angels have in the minors than most.  They'd have Lindsey take over next season.  They still have Cowart, Rondon, Calhoun, Sappington, Stamets, Jimenez and a plethora of arms they just added this year. The Angels as a system would still be fine without Cron, Yabrough, Grichuk and Wood, though to be honest I do like all of them. 

I think I have a better handle on what the Angels have in the minors than most.  They'd have Lindsey take over next season.  They still have Cowart, Rondon, Calhoun, Sappington, Stamets, Jimenez and a plethora of arms they just added this year. The Angels as a system would still be fine without Cron, Yabrough, Grichuk and Wood, though to be honest I do like all of them.

Please tell me thats not Luis Jimenez you are mentioning as being a prospect. The guy seems to me like a career backup/ plattoon corner infielder