• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Managerial Search Thread

BTH

21 minutes ago, khouse said:

Knowing the team as many long-term fans do...will it surprise anyone when Perry ultimately hires Showalter but bills it as having "searched high & low" or some other claptrap...

Given this team’s struggles with fundamentals, Showalter may actually be who they need.   A balance of fundamentals with analytics 

Three years, and have him appoint as bench coach a solid candidate to take his spot after 3 seasons.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, khouse said:

Knowing the team as many long-term fans do...will it surprise anyone when Perry ultimately hires Showalter but bills it as having "searched high & low" or some other claptrap...

It’d be hard to top the Angels “search” for Joe Maddon.
They interviewed him, Farrell, Buck, and…

To fulfill the requirement of interviewing a minority, they interiewed Johnny Washington, the Padres hitting coach who has never once been uttered as a managerial candidate before or after that interview.

27 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Out of the 6 the LA Times mentioned I am ok with either Buck or Weiss

Not sure I like the idea of Walt Weiss.

He didn’t do anything with the Rockies. Granted, he didn’t have much to work with. But is he gonna have much to work with here?

And how much is he really contributing to Atlanta’s success?

Even Atlanta’s coaching staff isn’t perfect. See them leaving in Elder too long today, as an example.

14 hours ago, BTH said:

Not sure I like the idea of Walt Weiss.

He didn’t do anything with the Rockies. Granted, he didn’t have much to work with. But is he gonna have much to work with here?

And how much is he really contributing to Atlanta’s success?

Even Atlanta’s coaching staff isn’t perfect. See them leaving in Elder too long today, as an example.

Weiss is the only one of the list I was kinda 'meh' on as well, lest he has some sort of synergy with Perry. 

Honestly, Roenicke, Ferrell, Gil, Washington, or Showalter...none really thrill me but none really deter me either. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Weiss is the only one of the list I was kinda 'meh' on as well, lest he has some sort of synergy with Perry. 

Honestly, Roenicke, Ferrell, Gil, Washington, or Showalter...none really thrill me but none really deter me either. 

I’m also not a fan of Roenicke or Gil.

Roenicke doesn’t seem like a good fit in the modern game. He had a bad team, but his 2020 season with the Red Sox was a mess.

Regarding Gil, I don’t want another internal hire.

I’m OK with any of the others.

Ron Washington is beloved by players wherever he goes. I think you'd have to say that he had success in his previous managerial stint-- he was one pitch away from winning it a prime Neftali Cruz on the mound, got to the playoffs multiple times, and Texas didn't do much after he left until they got Bruce Bochy. Galling that he hasn't had other opportunities while Buck Showalter is given chance after chance to fail again. Walt Weiss is not a guy who inspires confidence either. 

There is a feeling of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic until we can get Arte Moreno to sell the team. (No 'Sell the team, Arte' signs or public heckling?) But if anybody could get players to go through the wall for him and get more out of less talent, I'd bet on Ron Washington.

2 hours ago, BTH said:

I’m also not a fan of Roenicke or Gil.

Roenicke doesn’t seem like a good fit in the modern game. He had a bad team, but his 2020 season with the Red Sox was a mess.

Regarding Gil, I don’t want another internal hire.

I’m OK with any of the others.

I don't disagree with this, but to play Devil's advocate, I think letting go of Maddon or Nevin were decisions made more around "well, someone's gotta get canned" than anything they were doing fundamentally wrong - at least to a level that merits an entire shift in managerial direction.

Some continuity might be a positive given all the change and Gil or Montgomery could provide that. I'm also more of the belief that the sheer volume of injuries are what truly tanked the team this year more than anything in Nevin's control, and the losing streak last year was similarly to blame. I think it led to just a total org conflict/loss of faith or direction that they couldn't just recover from. 

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:I'm also more of the belief that the sheer volume of injuries are what truly tanked the team this year more than anything in Nevin's control, and the losing streak last year was similarly to blame. I think it led to just a total org conflict/loss of faith or direction that they couldn't just recover from. 

I think the pitching struggles were just as big of an issue as the injuries. With both problems, the team was going nowhere.

The question they need to answer is: why did the pitching regress in 2023? I don’t know the answer to that, but they need to find the answer. Maybe, as some in the org speculated in Fletcher’s article, it had to do with the change in philosophy from the front office.

2 hours ago, NYC Angel Fan said:

Ron Washington is beloved by players wherever he goes. I think you'd have to say that he had success in his previous managerial stint-- he was one pitch away from winning it a prime Neftali Cruz on the mound, got to the playoffs multiple times, and Texas didn't do much after he left until they got Bruce Bochy. Galling that he hasn't had other opportunities while Buck Showalter is given chance after chance to fail again. Walt Weiss is not a guy who inspires confidence either. 

There is a feeling of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic until we can get Arte Moreno to sell the team. (No 'Sell the team, Arte' signs or public heckling?) But if anybody could get players to go through the wall for him and get more out of less talent, I'd bet on Ron Washington.

image.thumb.png.668a588ffac80205f287c4a0478cdee3.png

7 minutes ago, BTH said:

I think the pitching struggles were just as big of an issue as the injuries. With both problems, the team was going nowhere.

The question they need to answer is: why did the pitching regress in 2023? I don’t know the answer to that, but they need to find the answer. Maybe, as some in the org speculated in Fletcher’s article, it had to do with the change in philosophy from the front office.

For sure - and the pitching did regress, but I also don’t think it means the same group with the same coaches wouldn’t continue to regress in 2024.

I think Detmers up-and-down season and ‘regression’ was just natural for a pitcher getting in his first full year. Anderson regressed in a big way but I don’t think that was necessarily a surprise to anybody - bigger issue is what drew them to sign him, more than his actual output. Sandoval regressed, but I also don’t think he could be as good as he was last year on a consistent basis. Canning was pretty good this year in his biggest sample. Ohtani regressed as the year went on, but he was also becoming increasingly worn down and injured. Suarez regressed but also a shoulder issue. 

Definitely think there were issues in how the coaching staff gathered or distributed data, but I also don’t think it’s an immediate indictment. Many of these arms took a step forward in ‘22 too. Something clearly isn’t working but I don’t know that it’s so severe or uncorrectable that it necessitates a total tear down. 

It’s part of why I mentioned Giolito in my post; yeah, he sucked and maybe it was lip service, but I remember he made a comment about the data and analytics he had here opposed to CWS. Did it execute? No, but he seemed to be very much in favor of it and maybe it needed more than a half-dozen starts to get into rhythm. If he’s bought in and he thinks it’ll work, maybe it also helps other pitchers with buy-in, and maybe that lack of trust in the system is as big a culprit of the team’s issues as late as injuries. That also doesn’t mean the data or analytics are right either though.