• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Managerial Search Thread

BTH

On 10/11/2023 at 5:05 PM, BTH said:

It’d be hard to top the Angels “search” for Joe Maddon.
They interviewed him, Farrell, Buck, and…

To fulfill the requirement of interviewing a minority, they interiewed Johnny Washington, the Padres hitting coach who has never once been uttered as a managerial candidate before or after that interview.

Yes...he point is every "search" that's been done has involved some sad & bogus element to it...

I was curious... so, I went to every MLB team's web site to look at their rosters for their front office.  Almost every team had an extensive list of front office executives, player development staff, scouts, medical/training staff, baseball operations staff, etc. - Guess who did not?  Yup, the Angels.  The Blue Jays didn't show the entire list either and the Rockies list was small. The rest show a very extensive list of personnel. 

We often talk about and wonder who is in the front office here on AW.  Apparently, the Angels aren't being very transparent.

33 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This one is gaining traction.

This could actually happen. I would take him over the retreads already mentioned. I just hope they interview as many as possible and hope someone unexpected knocks their socks off in the interview process.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Within at least a couple MLB teams on the East Coast.

The public (Angel fans) have had a hard on for Erstad to manage forever.  

I can see Arte doing it because he recognizes the fan pressure and wants to “throw them a bone.”

Another thing is that after Salmon and Finley were put into the dugout the last month, I can’t shake the feeling that it was done by Arte.

If it was, they are likely still in his ear and would be on board with hiring Erstad.

6 hours ago, Taylor said:

Erstad would be no better and no worse than Phil Nevin.

Supposedly he's quite intelligent and some feel he'd already be managing if he was willing to move his family.  He was a finalist for the Dodgers' job along with Bud Black, Gabe Kapler, and Dave Roberts.

He withdrew, but some felt he had made a huge impression on Friedman.

While I understand fans liking the idea of Erstad, it just seems extremely far-fetched to me.  I really don't know anything about how he works in terms of analytics, other than he introduced its use at Nebraska when he was hired there.  I don't know the extent of his understanding of how teams currently implement data at the MLB level, and he has no experience in the sea-change of the managers role from the time he was a player.  Also, while noted that he was a finalist for the Dodger job back in 2015, it's 8 years later and he hasn't worked at any MLB coaching or front office capacity so he is still an unknown to GMs who want to know that their manager is willing to subjugate their will to that of the FO.  Even if he's committed to analytics, he's never lived with having to implement decisions that he may be opposed to personally.  I especially don't see Minasian being okay with someone like Erstad being that his job is likely on the line based on the results of the 2024 season.

I was the biggest Scioscia fan around here. I disliked Maddon quite a bit. Neither ever factored into whether or not I would go to a game. 
We had a bozo around here, name escapes me, who said he’d never go to another game as long as Scioscia was manager. I can’t imagine anyone truly meaning they’d go to more games with Erstad as manager 

1 hour ago, Junkballer said:

While I understand fans liking the idea of Erstad, it just seems extremely far-fetched to me.  I really don't know anything about how he works in terms of analytics, other than he introduced its use at Nebraska when he was hired there.  I don't know the extent of his understanding of how teams currently implement data at the MLB level, and he has no experience in the sea-change of the managers role from the time he was a player.  Also, while noted that he was a finalist for the Dodger job back in 2015, it's 8 years later and he hasn't worked at any MLB coaching or front office capacity so he is still an unknown to GMs who want to know that their manager is willing to subjugate their will to that of the FO.  Even if he's committed to analytics, he's never lived with having to implement decisions that he may be opposed to personally.  I especially don't see Minasian being okay with someone like Erstad being that his job is likely on the line based on the results of the 2024 season.

My thought too....I wouldn't cast my lot with a guy who has no big league background....

34 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I was the biggest Scioscia fan around here. I disliked Maddon quite a bit. Neither ever factored into whether or not I would go to a game. 
We had a bozo around here, name escapes me, who said he’d never go to another game as long as Scioscia was manager. I can’t imagine anyone truly meaning they’d go to more games with Erstad as manager 

I got the threads confused. My bad.

Thought I was responding to the other thread about free agency.

In terms of Erstad, I do think he’s a popular name among fans. That doesn’t really translate to increased attendance, but it probably garners better fan reaction than other candidates would.