• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Managerial Search Thread

BTH

Not likely at his age (73) as a manager, but the type of important presence to have as a coach. Dave McKay. He's been around forever, including a long time with LaRussa. 

And with a younger manager, a valuable resource of knowledge and experience. And he's done well in Arizona and before that. Age obviously wasn't a factor and he seems to work well with a younger manager.

If not him, guys like that who are in sync with the manager and  involved with in game strategies and decision making.  

Assistants are often overlooked. They are liaisons between the manager and players, teachers, and involved in the games. As well as having input with the managers about technical and strategic factors. 

Any manager needs trusted and savvy assistants who can provide input as well as do useful work with the players.

McKay for instance has a tremendous wealth of experience.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_McKay_(baseball)

So even a young manager can be helped with veteran assistants. 

38 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Yes but he didn't play in the majors. I think veterans like a guy that played. If you look at the successful managers in 2023, for the most part the ones on the young side all had major league playing experience, and the ones that struggled did not.

There are undoubtably other factors at play, but the Cards with Marmol stand out as this type of manager. The two who made the playoffs who are younger and have success without major league playing career are Hyde and Schneider. Nevin obviously didn't have success and did have a major league playing career.

You may think it doesn't make a difference, but I'd argue younger players look up to successful major leaguers and veterans listen because they respect them as a peer. Just my 2 cents.

For the record:

The Playoff Managers -- (Younger Managers):

Kevin Cash - Played in Majors

Craig Counsell - Played in Majors

Rocco Baldelli - Played in Majors

Dave Roberts - Played in Majors (how is he 51?)

Brandon Hyde - No Major League Playing Career

John Schneider - No Major League Playing Career

Skip Schumacher - Played in Majors

The Playoff Managers -- (Older Managers)

Torey Lovullo - Played in Majors

Dusty Baker - Played in Majors

Bruce Bochy - Played in Majors

Rob Thompson - No Major League Playing Career

Brian Snitker - No Major League Playing Career

You can make argument both ways and show examples. Walter Alston played in majors (1 game 1 AB), Joe Maddon had success never played in majors. I just do not want a recycled manager. I would prefer someone new that has put his time in minors and majors as manager and coach. 

1 hour ago, BTH said:

It’s funny you say this:

but also say this:

Your Thompson examples shows that a manager who has never played in the majors can “create and cement a winning culture.”

Right, but he's got decades of managerial and coaching experience. Like Ebel for instance. 

I'm wary of going first time manager, but also wary of experienced older guys that wont connect, like Ausmus.

It's gonna be a hard choice, and I wish someone else was making it.

11 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Right, but he's got decades of managerial and coaching experience. Like Ebel for instance. 

I'm wary of going first time manager, but also wary of experienced older guys that wont connect, like Ausmus.

It's gonna be a hard choice, and I wish someone else was making it.

They may have more limited major league experience, but they do have extensive experience in pro ball.

Linares has been a manager/coach since 1999.

McCullough has been a manager/coach since 2007.

I don't care if they bring in Joe Biden to manage and Donald Trump to be bench coach along side him, as long as we finally get a good pitching coach (like we haven't had since Bud Black left).

(Here they are arguing about whether or not to put Velazquez in as a defensive replacement with a 1 run lead in the 6th inning.)

00078-1822732576.png

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Showalter never played MLB either.

The young players coming up to the team need solid fundamentals emphasis.  He works well with young players.

Being a previous player helps convince players that the person is qualified and capable of doing the manager’s job.

With Showalter, all of the players in mlb today grew up seeing Showalter actually in mlb dugouts managing, with plenty of success.

He doesn’t have to convince them he is qualified to get the job or that he is capable of doing the job.  They have seen him do it.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Being a previous player helps convince players that the person is qualified and capable of doing the manager’s job.

With Showalter, all of the players in mlb today grew up seeing Showalter actually in mlb dugouts managing, with plenty of success.

He doesn’t have to convince them he is qualified to get the job or that he is capable of doing the job.  They have seen him do it.

Phil Nevin played in majors long time. 

4 hours ago, Hubs said:

This was from 2022, when they fired Maddon.

Is this how he feels now? Who knows.

Hubs, the whole Scioscia returns to manage is just not going to happen. Not for the Angels, the Dodgers or even Philadelphia where he grew up. He walked away on his own terms and is at peace with that. You need to let the guy go. 

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Phil Nevin played in majors long time. 

Yes there are exceptions to my rule. 

I don't know that Darin Erstad will be better, but I think he might.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Quick, let’s compile a list of guys that have coached a college team and have also caught a fly ball in a postseason game.

If someone put out the name of a random former head coach of a college team as a viable candidate that person would be shredded on this board.

Former Angel should never  be a qualifying factor. 

3 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

i would be ok with Erstad. He could relate to younger players since he coached at Nebraska. He caught last out in 2002.

How does catching the last out in 2002 qualify you in any way to be a big league manager?