• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Managerial Search Thread

BTH

11 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

The Mets did win 101 games in 2022, his first season there and a 24 wins improvement.

Granted adding Bassitt and Scherzer for the 2022 season.

Angel Oracle,

Buck was MOY in 2022 and they played aggressive stellar baseball winning 101 Games but hit the wall in September choked the division to the Braves and made an early exit in postseason.  It was all downhill for him from there.  

He has flaws and can't get over the top.  Unfortunately he is a bit tone deaf and is incapable of pushing the right buttons.  He is no Bruce Bochy.  

If I were inolved in the decision here I would go with an up and comer.  One of my Favorites would be Yadier Molina who recently coached Team Puerto Rico in WBC and who has family history in the organization.

I would say right now, with virtually nothing of substance being reported, my preferences are 

1) Craig Counsell

-- Is he retiring? Is he leaving the Brewers? Is he going to the Mets? If the answers are No, Yes, and No, he's my first choice.

2) Skip Schumacher. 

-- If the Marlins let him walk after letting Ng walk, then bringing in a manager of his caliber is worth every penny.

3) Walt Weiss

-- Deserves another shot. Atlanta's Bench Coach since 2018 and a 14 year major league career... his 4 year stint with the Rockies was a rebuilding time and he repeatedly clashed with GM Bridich, still, he's a smart baseball mind, and young enough to be the manager for the next 10 years.

4) Darin Erstad 

-- Almost got the Dodgers job when they hired Roberts, so he is well thought of. And a World Series hero.

5) Mike Scioscia

-- If he wants the job back, I'd give it to him. And all of you haters can just kiss my ass.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I would say right now, with virtually nothing of substance being reported, my preferences are 

1) Craig Counsell

-- Is he retiring? Is he leaving the Brewers? Is he going to the Mets? If the answers are No, Yes, and No, he's my first choice.

2) Skip Schumacher. 

-- If the Marlins let him walk after letting Ng walk, then bringing in a manager of his caliber is worth every penny.

3) Walt Weiss

-- Deserves another shot. Atlanta's Bench Coach since 2018 and a 14 year major league career... his 4 year stint with the Rockies was a rebuilding time and he repeatedly clashed with GM Bridich, still, he's a smart baseball mind, and young enough to be the manager for the next 10 years.

4) Darin Erstad 

-- Almost got the Dodgers job when they hired Roberts, so he is well thought of. And a World Series hero.

5) Mike Scioscia

-- If he wants the job back, I'd give it to him. And all of you haters can just kiss my ass.

I'm with you on the first 2. Those would be my top 2.

Idk about Weiss. Nothing suggests to me that he gets more out of teams. The Rockies were bad, and they stayed bad. The Braves were good, and they stayed good.

I'd be OK with Erstad or Scioscia, but I think the latter is extremely unlikely.

Just now, BTH said:

I'm with you on the first 2. Those would be my top 2.

Idk about Weiss. Nothing suggests to me that he gets more out of teams. The Rockies were bad, and they stayed bad. The Braves were good, and they stayed good.

I'd be OK with Erstad or Scioscia, but I think the latter is extremely unlikely.

The Braves were 72-90 in 2017. 

They were 90-72 in 2018, Weiss's first season as bench coach.

Snitker has been the manager since 2016 season. I know they had Acuna in 2018, for the first time as well, so I'm not giving Weiss all the credit, but he's just as likable for Atlanta's success as Ron Washington, and a good baseball mind.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Giants already looking at Melvin. So Melvin to Giants, Kapler to Red sox as GM and Nevin to SD. That leaves halos with Rodney Linares. 

I can't see the Padres allowing Melvin to go to SF, as they are a divisional rival.  The Angels have no such issues.   

Also, I haven't heard or read that the Angels have any interest in Linares.  

Kinda surprised we haven’t anything about who the Angels will interview.

The Giants and Guardians each have more than a handful of candidates who have/will interview.

CLE: Craig Albernaz, Rob Cerfolio, Clayton McCullough, John McDonald, Carlos Mendoza, Chris Valaika.

SF: Kai Correa, Mark Hallberg, Alyssa Nakken, Jason Varitek, Stephen Vogt.

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

1) Craig Counsell

2) Skip Schumacher. 

3) Walt Weiss

4) Darin Erstad 

5) Mike Scioscia

Craig Counsell has max leverage right now. After Halloween his Brewer contract expires and he can negotiate a Bruce Bochy max deal by playing Brewers against Steve Cohen's wallet.  Interesting to watch this one from the sidelines as he has David Stearns in his corner.

Best move here is to hire Buck for his experience and skillset as the safe choice and to hire Yadier Molina to groom him for future manager.  He has managed Team Puerto Rico and Venezuela team and he is top quality player with organizational connections.  

3 minutes ago, Robrock30 said:

Best move here is to hire Buck for his experience and skillset as the safe choice and to hire Yadier Molina to groom him for future manager.  He has managed Team Puerto Rico and Venezuela team and he is top quality player with organizational connections.  

I doubt Yadi would come here as a bench coach.

If he’s gonna be a bench coach, I’d assume that St. Louis would offer him that job.

4 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Giants already looking at Melvin. So Melvin to Giants, Kapler to Red sox as GM and Nevin to SD. That leaves halos with Rodney Linares. 

There is zero chance Nevin gets another gig this offseason. And Kapler isn't taking a front office job.