• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Managerial Search Thread

BTH

The more I think about it, Showalter makes the most sense. He should be a good influence on the younger players and I would assume that he’s got good connections to better hitting and pitching coaches than we’ve had in years past. However, given his age and propensity to get fired, it would also be good to have a younger coach who he can develop to eventually manage the team. I would think he’s mature enough to realize the value of that. 

If nothing else, he is still very much respected in the game and has shown he can work with younger talent.

(I almost typed that he would “groom” a younger coach but in this day and age that would hold an entirely different meaning).  

8 hours ago, bruin5 said:

I would assume that he’s got good connections to better hitting and pitching coaches than we’ve had in years past.

idk, these names don’t really pop off the page

Pitching Coaches:

Jeremy Hefner

Roger McDowell

Dave Wallace

Rick Adair

Mark Connor

Orel Herschieser

Hitting Coaches:

Jeremy Barnes

Eric Chavez

Howie Clark

Scott Coolbaugh

Mark Quinn

Jim Presley

Rudy Jaramillo

1 hour ago, BTH said:

idk, these names don’t really pop off the page

Pitching Coaches:

Jeremy Hefner

Roger McDowell

Dave Wallace

Rick Adair

Mark Connor

Orel Herschieser

Hitting Coaches:

Jeremy Barnes

Eric Chavez

Howie Clark

Scott Coolbaugh

Mark Quinn

Jim Presley

Rudy Jaramillo

Oral Herschieser is too busy selling cars and making stupid commercials.

2 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Again, if Bill Hasselman is receiving interest from the Giants, and he's the Angels 3B coach, why aren't the Angels talking to him?

How do you know they aren’t talking to him?

2 hours ago, BTH said:

How do you know they aren’t talking to him?

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Or, maybe they know him well enough to scratch him from their list of candidates. 

I really don't know.  What I do know is this.  The Giants are being run by people who were once employed in the Dodgers organization.  

Hasselman came to us from the Dodgers organization.  

The only sustained success that this organization has ever had was when it was being run by Mike Scioscia, who came from, you guessed it, the Dodgers organization.  

I don't think it would be so bad to invest a few dollars more into the farm system, scouting and player development, and try to copy the Dodgers business model.  

Maybe if we do that, the Angels can have sustainable, season after season, success. 

18 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I don't think it would be so bad to invest a few dollars more into the farm system, scouting and player development, and try to copy the Dodgers business model.  

Maybe if we do that, the Angels can have sustainable, season after season, success. 

I don’t think it would be bad either.

You were just asking “why aren’t the Angels talking to him” and I’m saying that for all we know, they are.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:34 AM, DMVol said:

You can pick apart any manager’s record.  Joe Torre had a similar record to Showalter when the Yankees hired him. Some success but he’d been fired multiple times. There just isn’t a guy out there who would fit the expectations for some of you. Yes, Ron Washington had success with the Rangers but he hasn’t managed in a decade. You would think somebody might have hired him?  Most of you would do better with a first time guy. Clean slate, nothing to pick apart. But I’m not sure that would be smart. 

This whole ‘he hasn’t managed in 10 years’ argument would imply that he’s been sitting at home, out of baseball, all this time— missing out on the modern game. He hasn’t been, he’s been around it. (And being related to Braves fans, I have heard unprompted how popular he is with their players.)

This idea that he isn’t smart enough to manage again when he’s a baseball lifer who’s still coaching also feels like an unevenly applied concept.

Do you really think that just because owners do something, it must be based on facts because they never do anything ill-advised, and that’s why he’s never been rehired? Arte is not the only owner who’s not infallible. So, if owners have never hired him again, why hasn’t he been rehired? Gee, that’s a really good question. 🤔

The idea ‘sure he was successful, but only a manager in one place’ is also puzzling to me. Why choose somebody we know is mediocre over somebody with a track record of success who we fear was a fluke and is secretly mediocre?

I mean when one sees guys like Showalter, Mattingly, and Walt Weiss, potentially, getting recycled for 2nd and 3rd chances and not Ron Washington… it’s almost like affirmative action… but for mediocre managers.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:26 AM, Stradling said:

1999 Showalter lead the DBacks to the playoffs while winning 100 games.  The 2000 team traded for Schilling and he only started 13 games for them. That team missed the playoffs but won 85 games. The 2001 team had Schilling the entire year and won 92 games and the World Series. 

The Yankee teams were before Jeter, before Posada, before Rivera was closing, and with a 23 year old Petite. 

The Rangers team never had pitching. The team needed 3 more years to be relevant after he left, so it wasn’t like he left and the team immediately blossomed. 

Those are fair points, though Wetteland was a top-drawer closer with whom they won a World Series. 

But while these are sort of mitigating reasons to understand Showalter only advancing to the ALCS once in 22 years, there seems to be all sorts of contortions to try to explain away why Ron Washington was the all-time most successful manager for the one franchise he was given a shot to manage.

It puzzles me. 🤔

4 hours ago, NYC Angel Fan said:

This whole ‘he hasn’t managed in 10 years’ argument would imply that he’s been sitting at home, out of baseball, all this time— missing out on the modern game. He hasn’t been, he’s been around it. (And being related to Braves fans, I have heard unprompted how popular he is with their players.)

This idea that he isn’t smart enough to manage again when he’s a baseball lifer who’s still coaching also feels like an unevenly applied concept.

Do you really think that just because owners do something, it must be based on facts because they never do anything ill-advised, and that’s why he’s never been rehired? Arte is not the only owner who’s not infallible. So, if owners have never hired him again, why hasn’t he been rehired? Gee, that’s a really good question. 🤔

The idea ‘sure he was successful, but only a manager in one place’ is also puzzling to me. Why choose somebody we know is mediocre over somebody with a track record of success who we fear was a fluke and is secretly mediocre?

I mean when one sees guys like Showalter, Mattingly, and Walt Weiss, potentially, getting recycled for 2nd and 3rd chances and not Ron Washington… it’s almost like affirmative action… but for mediocre managers.

Who said he "wasn't smart enough to manage again"?  Good grief, drama queen much. I'm not just related to Braves fans I am a Braves fan.  Angels are 1a and Braves are 1b with me.  I watch every game. He is a whole lot of the reason (along with Walt Weiss) that Snitker has been successful. Snitker and AA hired good people.  My only point was it seems odd that Washington hasn't had a chance to manage since the Rangers.  No more, no less.  Playing the race card is way over the top.  

We all watched Molina for 19 seasons we know what he's not going to put up with, how he takes charge and that he won't back down. Seriously, five months into retirement he managed team Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic and took them to the Quarterfinals. Add that to being a 10-time all-star, a two-time World Series champion, a two-time National League Champion, nine Gold Glove Awards and four Platinum Glove Awards — what more could you ask for in a manager? 

22 minutes ago, DMVol said:

He is a whole lot of the reason (along with Walt Weiss) that Snitker has been successful.

Just curious… what is Walt Weiss doing to help make the Braves successful?

With Washington, it’s easy to point towards his defensive work with infielders.

With Weiss, it’s less clear to those outside.

49 minutes ago, BTH said:

Just curious… what is Walt Weiss doing to help make the Braves successful?

With Washington, it’s easy to point towards his defensive work with infielders.

With Weiss, it’s less clear to those outside.

Kind of always an imprecise thing to know how much a “bench coach” contributes but Snitker likes him and he seems to get high marks. Did Maddon contribute to Scioscia’s success? I dunno but (despite the negative perception here about Maddon), he seemed to get a lot of credit…🤷‍♂️