• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels sign Moustakas this off season?

tomsred

7 minutes ago, tomsred said:

He is definitely the leader type some of you think we are missing, and he seems to be a really good backup for third base and first base.  His performance is impressing me so far.

The Angels are 7 games under .500 since he got here, so whatever "leading" he's doing isn't amounting to much. 

As I said on Twitter to Chuck earlier today, there's no reason to make a decision on him now.  He's been here for 31 games. He's been injured and mediocre the past few years. Yes, he's been hot recently, but I personally want to see it sustained before I'd consider bringing him back. 

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

The Angels are 7 games under .500 since he got here, so whatever "leading" he's doing isn't amounting to much. 

As I said on Twitter to Chuck earlier today, there's no reason to make a decision on him now.  He's been here for 31 games. He's been injured and mediocre the past few years. Yes, he's been hot recently, but I personally want to see it sustained before I'd consider bringing him back. 

Uh… yeah… that’s on Mous…?!?! Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot…?!?!

Great clubhouse presence… I don’t see how you don’t extend him an offer given his pedigree, versatility, and production…

Having nothing to do with the team shitting the bed since his arrival….

Just now, Deek said:

Uh… yeah… that’s on Mous…?!?! Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot…?!?!

Great clubhouse presence… I don’t see how you don’t extend him an offer given his pedigree, versatility, and production…

Having nothing to do with the team shitting the bed since his arrival….

My point is that "clubhouse leadership" is probably highly overrated. If the team is spiraling out of control, what does that phrase even mean in practical, real world terms? 

Also, paying 35+-year-old guys for their "pedigree" is pretty much never a good idea. 

If they somehow miraculously retain Ohtani, then it's a no brainer if he continues to stay healthy and produce. He can cover 3rd for when Rendon misses his 100+ games next year. He can play 1st. He can even play 2nd in an emergency. he hasn't been an everyday player since 2019, so I don't think he's going to get a big offer from anyone.

If Ohtani leaves, there's going to be 700 plate appearances at DH that need to be filled whether it's mostly by one guy, or rotating through the veterans to hopefully keep them healthier.

41 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Yes, extend him. But also enter into a rebuild after Shohei leaves and start cumulating prospects. Flip Moose and anyone else with value next deadline for more prospects. 

This will be the only path open the club if this goes south.
Trade everyone, rebuild. 
Yes... everyone. 

Moustakas has been a successful solution to the problem of Walsh failing.

Moustakas will play next year somewhere.

It seems to me that signing him to a one year deal (that’s all he is getting) would be fine, considering the team will need a 1B until Schanuel is ready, and nobody should be counting on Rendon playing 140 games at third.

Most of the arguments against signing him are some form of “don’t overpay”. . . 

But nobody said overpay.

Piggybacking on what was said on the podcast, I agree. I think he should be re-signed. Ohtani or not, I think this is going to a very tough offseason. Management will have a lot of decisions to make and if Mike is the leader that he seems to me, we need him to be a stabilizer of sorts. I like his versatility and again he'll back up Rendon and should get plenty of at-bats.