• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thoughts on Trevor Bauer?

Dodgers haven’t made their minds up 100% but unless he apologizes for his behavior I don’t see anyone offering him a multi year deal. But dodgers are on hook for salary so all the pitching needy teams will consider him, but probably best for him if he goes east coast.

Ok so here's my thing. Apparently, this wasn't assault as most come to see it. Bauer is just kinky AF and ally afterward, some girl didn't like it. 

Having said that, teammates either love him or hate him. It's feels like more than anything, MLB penalized him because he embarrassed them by exposing the ball doctoring that was going on, and dominated when he started doing exactly what Gerrit Cole was doing. 

If he can shut up and pitch.... Maybe. 

11 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

So he's reinstated immediately, but no pay for the first 50 games?  What kind of decision is that?

"Okay Bauer, you can pitch, but you have to do it for free until May 24."

Weird.

Yeah, really weird right?

So just digging around a little into it, this is what I think has transpired:  he was put on "administrate leave" starting in 2021.  He was paid all that time.  So he was sort of "suspended" but being paid.

This decision basically acknowledges that he has been suspended since 2021, so it credits him for that time, but to "even out" the pay part, they are deducting him 50 games this year.  Very odd, but that is my interpretation of what has transpired.

Thus - his luxury tax hit is roughly 2/3 of his salary (to the Dodgers), but he is eligible to pitch the entire year.

I would pass on him.  I think the circus is not worthwhile, and the random reports of him being a crappy teammate may not be worthwhile either.

That said, for a team that likely doesn't have a lot of payroll left, the allure is pretty convincing isn't it?  A 3-4 fWAR pitcher on a minimum equivalent contract.  He would, no doubt, help a ton towards making this a significant contender.

All that aside though, given Arte is selling the team, I am guessing he won't want to do anything that may create complications.  Having Bauer on this team, with all of his baggage, is likely not worth the risk to Moreno in terms of his sale.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

He has not been officially released. I was waiting on the official announcement before making a thread but I guess we are all just jumping the gun now and expecting it.

Bob Nightengale reported they're going to be releasing him, so what could go wrong?

9 minutes ago, Cosmo_Kramer said:

Julio Urias was also suspended for violating the domestic violence policy (couple years ago), but Dodgers have kept him.

Osuna, Chapman, etc. Talented players tend to get another shot, so Bauer probably lands somewhere

Urias violated it as well, but those situations were a bit different from one another.

I think the Dodgers will assuredly move on from him, but maybe they will find someone who will toss a few mil their direction in the form of a trade of some kind.  The bottom line seems to always be the #1 priority for organizations, so maybe they are holding out for someone to make that offer.

But I would still say the most likely thing we'll see is they DFA him in the upcoming days.  They likely knew exactly what the penalty would be, which is why they signed Syndergaard + Martinez for exactly what they did.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Urias violated it as well, but those situations were a bit different from one another.

I think the Dodgers will assuredly move on from him, but maybe they will find someone who will toss a few mil their direction in the form of a trade of some kind.  The bottom line seems to always be the #1 priority for organizations, so maybe they are holding out for someone to make that offer.

But I would still say the most likely thing we'll see is they DFA him in the upcoming days.  They likely knew exactly what the penalty would be, which is why they signed Syndergaard + Martinez for exactly what they did.

Could see a smaller market team take a flier on him

3 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Yeah, he isn’t ever pitching again in the big leagues. 

It'll be interesting to see.  I think there are a number of fans who feel he is innocent and should pitch.  As mentioned upthread, there are various others who egregiously violated the domestic violence policy, yet are still playing today.  I think someone will take a gamble on him, but will do it in the context of him participating in various charities, or something along those lines.