• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thoughts on Trevor Bauer?

18 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I also feel that the punishment was so inconsistent with the precedent set for others that were magically rehabilitated because they said sorry yet actually charged with a crime in many cases. 

Ozuna choked his wife in front of police and then did a diversion program so they dropped the charges.  He was suspended for 20 games without pay.  He apologized to his team and the fans and then was brought back without even a peep. 

Bauer had rough sex, was never charged, and appears to have been set up.  He acted indignant and got suspended without pay for 2 seasons. 

Taylor is not your friend anymore.

50 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

The Watson reference is probably the most applicable one I've seen.  I see references to Kobe, Chapman, etc, but I think those other transgressions occurred in "a different time," so to speak.

Watson, though - that is probably the best comparison for Bauer.

Timing is everything. Sign him on Christmas Eve. With Christmas, Football , and omnibus all will be forgotten by the new year. 

If the Dodgers release Bauer, does his salary still count against the tax? I know they still owe him the money but I am getting conflicting posts as to whether or not the salary still counts towards the tax. I was under the impression it did....

According to MLBTR it does:

Perhaps more meaningfully, that money now goes back onto the Dodgers’ luxury tax ledger for the 2023 campaign. As calculated by Roster Resource, Los Angeles’ CBT number jumps to approximately $232MM. That’s just $1MM below next year’s $233MM base tax threshold.

So that's that correct? It 100% counts towards the tax.

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

I feel like the unpaid suspension was a back room deal to benefit the Dogs who probably expressed to the league that they were going to release him no matter what.  So they did them a favor.  It seemed like it was more based on the fact that Bauer wasn't and isn't sorry and essentially wouldn't eat shit because he was thoroughly convinced he did nothing wrong.  

So essentially the league couldn't get him to apologize for being a sexual weirdo in the eyes of most.   So they punished him because it caused them bad press.  

Signs giant 3 year deal, immediately gets suspended for 3 years.

1 hour ago, cals said:

Taylor is not your friend anymore.

I don't disagree with anything he said. Bauer is a douche but I don't understand why he continued to be suspended even after the details of the case came out.

He's not some martyr, though. He's the exact kind of dude this sort of thing would happen to.

5 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I don't disagree with anything he said. Bauer is a douche but I don't understand why he continued to be suspended even after the details of the case came out.

He's not some martyr, though. He's the exact kind of dude this sort of thing would happen to.

I’m telling your wife you said this.

7 minutes ago, Rico said:

This organization is currently being sued alleging it knew one of their employees was giving illegal drugs to players that led to ones death. We're willing to overlook a lot for sports ball.

if we're ever expecting professional sports to establish a precedent and set a morality trend then we're going to be waiting for awhile.  They'll live in the gray and react with swift outrage when they are culturally obligated.  

3 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I feel like the unpaid suspension was a back room deal to benefit the Dogs who probably expressed to the league that they were going to release him no matter what.  So they did them a favor.  It seemed like it was more based on the fact that Bauer wasn't and isn't sorry and essentially wouldn't eat shit because he was thoroughly convinced he did nothing wrong.  

So essentially the league couldn't get him to apologize for being a sexual weirdo in the eyes of most.   So they punished him because it caused them bad press.  

my question on this, which is why i said earlier it almost like there has to be more, is where is the MLBPA on that? the MLBPA just let let them take 50-100 million from him and didn't say shit. that has never happened.

Edited by ukyah

7 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

If the Dodgers release Bauer, does his salary still count against the tax? I know they still owe him the money but I am getting conflicting posts as to whether or not the salary still counts towards the tax. I was under the impression it did....

According to MLBTR it does:

Perhaps more meaningfully, that money now goes back onto the Dodgers’ luxury tax ledger for the 2023 campaign. As calculated by Roster Resource, Los Angeles’ CBT number jumps to approximately $232MM. That’s just $1MM below next year’s $233MM base tax threshold.

So that's that correct? It 100% counts towards the tax.

Yes - the pro-rated version counts towards their tax.  So, since he is having 50 games of pay withheld, that means they are being charged 112/162 = 69% of his pay (that can't be a coincidence lol).  Think his AAV was 34mil/yr, so that means they are on the hook for roughly 23mil this year.

I am going to assume that Manfred or someone informed them of the decision coming a few weeks ago.  They were very quiet all winter, then suddenly signed both Syndergaard and JD Martinez to contracts that, when combined with the above figure, takes them literally right underneath the luxury tax.

The Dodgers weren't blindsided by this decision, they have known for weeks.

I’d assume that Bauer has a no trade clause, so he will get to choose where he plays next.  I could see Cohen offering to pay $5 million of his contract just to be sure they got him. The Mets/Cohen have so much good press right now they could trade for Bauer and hire OJ and Ray Rice to call the games on TV and their fans will still love them.  

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d assume that Bauer has a no trade clause, so he will get to choose where he plays next.  I could see Cohen offering to pay $5 million of his contract just to be sure they got him. The Mets/Cohen have so much good press right now they could trade for Bauer and hire OJ and Ray Rice to call the games on TV and their fans will still love them.  

This is my assumption too -- Mets feel like they are in the perfect position to do this.

37 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Cohen may not feel it is worth it.  Cohen can literally outspend everyone for any player.  He likely doesn't need the headache that Bauer would bring.  I think teams that are trying to get by with less money would be more inclined to pick him up.

FWIW, it appears Bauer has a no trade clause to AL teams, but he can be traded to any NL team.