• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

In what appears to be a lost season what are you looking forward to see happen for the rest of the campaign?

Chuck

Angels-beat-Rangers-July-3-2019.webp

The Mike Trout/Shohei Ohtani MVP watch. 

Ohtani's progression as a starting pitcher. 

Sandoval & Detmers continued success! 

Ohtani offered a lifetime extension! I don't believe the Angels should trade Ohtani. 

I say, play all the prospects and trade away everyone with a 1-year deals. Would love to see some of these arms from Double-A contribute, much like we've seen from Silseth. 

If you can get a haul for Taylor Ward, do it. 

Outside of that, I'm looking forward to seeing what Stefanic can do, Adell with consistent playing time as well as Rengifo who has slashed .321/.333/ .518 over his last 15 games. 

What say you? 

• Chuck changed the title to In what appears to be a lost season what are you looking forward to see happen for the rest of the campaign?

Sandoval has been awesome so seeing him continue that would be nice. I’m on the fence about Ohtani. Having a player like him will never happen again but this team has so many holes and weak points that trading him can land them a big haul. I just don’t trust the Angels ability to evaluate talent and get great ML players and prospects in return. I’d trade Ward too. I think his hot start was a bit of a fluke and he seems prone to injury already.  Trade Syndergaard for sure 

Edited by Jason

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

All those things above. In addition, Mike Trout getting his HOF batting stroke back and raking during the remainder of the season. I hope this is just a bump in the road and not the beginning of a long decline. 

I think his best years are behind him now. If he can stay on the field he will still put up great numbers and pad his HoF legacy 

Still looking forward to the trade deadline, and honestly that's the biggest reason I still follow heavily.  After that I'll probably pretty much check out, sad as it is to say.  I'll still follow individual player performances but I doubt I'll watch too many games

I would trade Taylor Ward in a heartbeat.  This is his high water mark for value.  His versatility and bat would be of high interest to a team in the hunt.

I personally don’t expect Ward to be a high impact player in future seasons so I am perfectly content to cash in on the spike in value today.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I would trade Taylor Ward in a heartbeat.  This is his high water mark for value.  His versatility and bat would be of high interest to a team in the hunt.

I personally don’t expect Ward to be a high impact player in future seasons so I am perfectly content to cash in on the spike in value today.

Ward is cheap and under team control. 

To be honest, nothing. Hard to watch 2 generational players being wasted. Perhaps Perry’s plan will take hold over this winter but as a fan (and worse as a retired journalist) I haven’t seen anything to give me optimism. But much as I’d like to dump them and root for some team with brighter hopes, we’re stuck with each other.

I look at each game as a separate entertainment opportunity.... I have the "I wonder what I'll see today" attitude.... It's still baseball and Ohtani definitely makes things interesting.

As far as "looking forward" - I'm more curious about whether or not Fletcher can make a meaningful contribution, whether or not Adell makes it back to the majors this year, If Marsh is going to be good or not, how good Detmers can actually be, etc., etc.

20 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Ward is cheap and under team control. 

Exactly

Plus, we still don’t know where Marsh and Adell will improve to.

Ward’s team control and solid hitting since 2021 and LF uncertainty = shouldn’t trade Ward.

Otherwise, totally agree with Chuck’s OP plus:

Need to see how Syndergaard continues to pitch.

If he continues to be solid enough, they also have to re-sign him.

Then they have Ohtani, Sandoval, Syndergaard, and Detmers for 2/3 of a solid rotation.

Then, Silseth, Suarez, Bush, Crow, Kerry, etc. battle for the other two spots.

One trade I would consider would be Barria, and then move Suarez into his long innings/spot starts role?

Barria deserves a chance to contribute more someplace, and maybe the Halos can get a clean peanut future contributor in exchange?   Suarez is solid the first time through a lineup.

Rest of the season, Fletcher at 3B, Rengifo at SS, and Stefanic at 2B, with Duffy backing up 1B/3B and Squid backing up MIF

Call up Adell to platoon with Marsh the rest of the season.

Call up Murphy and Torres, and see what they can bring to the pen.

Edited by Angel Oracle

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Exactly

Ward’s team control and solid hitting since 2021 and LF uncertainty = shouldn’t trade Ward.

Especially since we let Upton go and Adell's future is very uncertain. A top prospect who will figure things out, or a bust? Not clear. Same with Marsh.

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Exactly

Otherwise, totally agree with Chuck’s OP plus need to see how Syndergaard continues to pitch.

If he continues to be solid enough, they also have to re-sign him.

Then they have Ohtani, Sandoval, Syndergaard, and Detmers for 2/3 of a solid rotation.

Then, Silseth, Suarez, Bush, Crow, Kerry, etc. battle for the other two starts.

One trade I would consider would be Barria, and then move Suarez into his long innings spot?

Barria deserves a chance to contribute more someplace, and maybe the Halos can get a clean peanut future contributor in exchange?

Rest of the season, Fletcher at 3B, Rengifo at SS, and Stefanic at 2B, with Duffy backing up 1B/3B and Squid backing up MIF

Call up Adell to platoon with Marsh the rest of the season.

Call up Murphy and Torres, and see what they can bring to the pen.

You really think Syndergaard should be part of their future plans? It’s obvious he isn’t the same pitcher he was. I think they should trade him 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

You really think Syndergaard should be part of their future plans? It’s obvious he isn’t the same pitcher he was. I think they should trade him 

First year back from TJS, and it’s the second year where pitchers generally get back enough to where they were.   Tommy John, ironic enough, was not only the first to have the surgery, he was also the first to excel in his second season and beyond after returning.

Syndergaard is now hitting 95-96mph max, good pitch mix.  

Take away his 1st inning struggles (until the 1-2-3 first in recent outing), and his stats are really solid.

If you sign him to a 3 year deal (4th year team option), it won’t increase the payroll, since he’s making $21 million this season.

I can see him touching 96-97mph next season with the good pitch mix and heavy GB%, and solving the 1st inning issue.   Plus, have to love how he competes and doesn’t waste time.

Still only 30 in 2023, with not a huge innings pitched total in his career so far.

Edited by Angel Oracle

40 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

First year back from TJS, and it’s the second year where pitchers generally get back enough to where they were.   Tommy John, ironic enough, was not only the first to have the surgery, he was also the first to excel in his second season and beyond after returning.

Syndergaard is now hitting 95-96mph max, good pitch mix.  

Take away his 1st inning struggles (until the 1-2-3 first in recent outing), and his stats are really solid.

If you sign him to a 3 year deal (4th year team option), it won’t increase the payroll, since he’s making $21 million this season.

I can see him touching 96-97mph next season with the good pitch mix and heavy GB%, and solving the 1st inning issue.   Plus, have to love how he competes and doesn’t waste time.

Still only 30 in 2023, with not a huge innings pitched total in his career so far.

Yes, when Tommy John is the first to have the surgery, he is also subsequently going to be the first to have results one way or another from the surgery.  There is nothing “ironic” about that.

Rengifo has been a little asshole refusing to work any walks. The last 12 games he has a. 287 batting average but his OBP is the exact same with zero walks. In the previous 94 plate appearances he has a total of 2 walks. This is bullshit from a light hitting middle Infielder. He is one of the reasons the Angels offense sucks. 

Trout/Ohtani means that we are going to try to be competative. Assuming we are going to take another crack at it, I want us to enter the off-season with 4 set starters, 3 set bullpen pieces, and at least 6 set position starters. I don't mean we need to have stars at every spot, but we need to have that base to have any hope of competing. Part of this will include making decisions about Walsh,  Adell, Ward, and Marsh. 

Way I see it, we have:
- 3 set starters (Ohtani-Sandoval- Detmers) with Silseth making an argument for a third. 

- 2 Set bullpen pieces (Iglasias [contract] and Hertget). Wantz seems like he could join this, with Tepera and Loup having a chance to turn it around as well. Bush and Bachman could be included here next year as well. 

- 5 Set Starters (Trout/Ohtani/Ward/Redon [contract] and yes, I'm including Rengifo) with Walsh, Marsh, Stefanic, Stassi, Adell trying to turn things around to make this list.

With this list, it seems pretty clear that we are going to have to add, at minimum, two decent free-agent position players, a mid-rotation starter, and also take another 2 or 3 spins on the bullpen roulette.

All of this to say -- I could actually see us being "buyers" on the low end of the market, trying to get more solid contributers for next years team. -think Miguel Andujar, David Peralta, or Brandon Drury.

14 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I mean for Ward what are they going to get ? If it’s a couple of low minors prospects then I don’t understand how this moves along the project to make Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani winners with the Angels.  I don’t think Ward is getting near major league ready premium prospects.  

I don’t think we know what the Angels could get unless they are open to trading him.  I would certainly be wide open to find out (versus waving it off as “we need to hold on to this guy”).