• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Velazquez offensively

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

If the Angels are in first place, or minimally in a position to make the postseason, then Velasquez batting .170 is not a problem.  

If the Angels are not in a position to make the postseason then it is a problem.

I don't like the idea settling for mediocrity. I'm sick of this team being boring and always watching the post season from their homes. Batting .170 is not acceptable for any professional position player at the MLB level. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Okay, let's use last year's 451 PA. He hit .223/.283/.274/.558. That is not an improvement over Squid when you are talking money spent.  

Yes, I agree. I wasn't saying that I'd rather have Simmons, just that his BA this year isn't particularly meaningful. Not sure why he declines so much over the last few years - if anything, I thought he had another gear in him with the bat.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I don't like the idea settling for mediocrity. I'm sick of this team being boring and always watching the post season from their homes. Batting .170 is not acceptable for any professional position player at the MLB level. 

You didn’t understand the context.  If the team wins, that is not settling for mediocrity.

Not winning and tolerating players in the lineup that are patently terrible is settling for mediocrity.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

You didn’t understand the context.  If the team wins, that is not settling for mediocrity.

Not winning and tolerating players in the lineup that are patently terrible is settling for mediocrity.

I get it but .170 is less than mediocre and I just don't want players that are that bad offensively, regardless of the team's record.  

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I get it but .170 is less than mediocre and I just don't want players that are that bad offensively, regardless of the team's record.  

It's awful, but it's not out of the ordinary even for good teams. Just look at the last 4 guys in the Astros lineup. Difference with them is they actually get consistent production from the top half of the lineup and their pitchers while we have Ohtani and Syndergaard putting up complete stinkers semi-regularly

image.png.52375ae3ebbf2a9746c2b5d360c30f6f.png

9 hours ago, tomsred said:

Should have signed Trevor Story.

Really?  25 mil a year for a guy posting a sub 100 OPS+?

His raw OPS is 715, this despite enjoying a boost from playing in Fenway.  His neutral park OPS this year is .671, which is almost identical to his OPS vs RHPs of .676.  This is the fourth straight year his OPS .vs RHPs has gone done.  Maybe even worse, Story's hard hit rate, exit velocity and pretty much every predictive indicator are at or near career lows.

We are talking about a player who's home park might be masking a deep decline in actual ability.

9 hours ago, Lou said:

6/$140M 

.671 OPS away from Fenway

But he's a name brand.  

14 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Batting .170 with an OPS below .500. Time to find someone else and the answer won’t be Fletcher either imo

He's gotta go. We just can't afford his bat. In a perfect world, with Ohtani, Trout, Rendon, and Walsh hitting on all cylinders, yes. But it hasn't been close to that and when you add Suszuki, Wade, and Rengifo, we can't keep him in the lineup.

5 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

If the Angels are in first place, or minimally in a position to make the postseason, then Velasquez batting .170 is not a problem.  

If the Angels are not in a position to make the postseason then it is a problem.

It's already a problem. There are too many people on this team that can't hit. And we can't seem to get all five of our top guys on the field at the same time.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Really?  25 mil a year for a guy posting a sub 100 OPS+?

His raw OPS is 715, this despite enjoying a boost from playing in Fenway.  His neutral park OPS this year is .671, which is almost identical to his OPS vs RHPs of .676.  This is the fourth straight year his OPS .vs RHPs has gone done.  Maybe even worse, Story's hard hit rate, exit velocity and pretty much every predictive indicator are at or near career lows.

We are talking about a player who's home park might be masking a deep decline in actual ability.

But he's a name brand.  

this is all good and useful info. thanks.

what i'm saying is that if the debate is would i rather have story or velazquez, i'd take story. if the debate is would i want story for a permanent solution vs. someone else, i'd shop around.

do you have your eye on a SS the angels should target, whether it be as a mid-season trade or a signing this winter?

1 hour ago, Tank said:

this is all good and useful info. thanks.

what i'm saying is that if the debate is would i rather have story or velazquez, i'd take story. if the debate is would i want story for a permanent solution vs. someone else, i'd shop around.

do you have your eye on a SS the angels should target, whether it be as a mid-season trade or a signing this winter?

Joey Wendle

Angels should have been all over him given what TB was willing to trade him for..

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=misner000kam

I think Doc is still talking to himself over how cheaply the Marlins got him.

I think Dansby Swanson will be a FA this winter, he's never lived up to his 1-1 draft pick status but he's been a solid MLB player.  He might be a reasonably priced option.

15 hours ago, Tank said:

next winter, they really need to target a SS who can hit and field. no one crazy expensive since that historically doesn't work well for us, but someone established.

honestly, i would be okay if they got simba again, but there hopefully are better options out there.

Shortstops that can hit and field aren't cheap.

5 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

Shortstops that can hit and field aren't cheap.

of course not, but that doesn't mean there aren't good deals out there to be found. this is a specific area where minassian needs to earn his paycheck.

2 hours ago, Torridd said:

He's gotta go. We just can't afford his bat. In a perfect world, with Ohtani, Trout, Rendon, and Walsh hitting on all cylinders, yes. But it hasn't been close to that and when you add Suszuki, Wade, and Rengifo, we can't keep him in the lineup.

I would rather keep Velazquez over all 3 of those guys because, besides his bat, he plays better defense than all of them. 

And I don't usually stick up for guys who's only plus side is their defense, but he is really really good out there and he doesn't make boneheaded mistakes either. 

It's not like Suzuki (.203) Wade (.211) Rengifo (.226) or Lagares (.222) are killing the ball either.