• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

At what point does Adell get sent down?

mmc

This kid is struggling, and there's no sense keeping him up here to ride the bench and piss people off when he does get in the lineup.  He needs to be playing every day and get his confidence back.  It sure seems like the team wants him up though, but at what point does he need to go back?

12 minutes ago, mmc said:

This kid is struggling, and there's no sense keeping him up here to ride the bench and piss people off when he does get in the lineup.  He needs to be playing every day and get his confidence back.  It sure seems like the team wants him up though, but at what point does he need to go back?

His problem is mainly defense. He's hitting as well as many of the players. I hope they have a plan for him. I do agree he needs to play more but the team is pretty stacked at this point. Ward's success has also caused this problem, a good one to have. It's a very difficult decision though. Does he have anything left to learn in AAA?

6 minutes ago, Torridd said:

His problem is mainly defense. He's hitting as well as many of the players. I hope they have a plan for him. I do agree he needs to play more but the team is pretty stacked at this point. Ward's success has also caused this problem, a good one to have. It's a very difficult decision though. Does he have anything left to learn in AAA?

He can focus on defense there.

If he can’t get it by late in the season, then he is ultimately an athletic DH. 😢

38 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

He can focus on defense there.

If he can’t get it by late in the season, then he is ultimately an athletic DH. 😢

Part of what amazes me is that management (player development haha) must have known that he was pretty bad.  He’s not ready, period. Marsh is playing well enough to be the everyday LF and Adell can go work on learning baseball.  Surely they will assign him a coach to teach him, or at least drill him, until he’s better than this.

I haven't been watching but I've been listening on the radio, and Terry Smith keeps getting frustrated with Adell's defense.  It sounds like he is consistently getting bad jumps on balls, and just missing balls.  Today Terry said, if Marsh is in there, Marsh makes that play, and Langley said no doubt.  Also, on another play Terry said Adell missed the cut off guy Velasquez.  It doesn't sound good.

16 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

How does he improve playing under the lights without playing in actual games?

There's the rub. Is he that bad on defense that he needs to go back to AAA? My guts says no, but in the same vein he needs experience. How can he get it? It's a bit of a paradox. And as soon as you trade him, I get the feeling we'll regret it.

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

There's the rub. Is he that bad on defense that he needs to go back to AAA? My guts says no, but in the same vein he needs experience. How can he get it? It's a bit of a paradox. And as soon as you trade him, I get the feeling we'll regret it.

No his defense is so bad that he might be the worst defensive outfielder in the entire league.

The frustration with Adell is understandable.  But I don’t think sending him down is really the answer.  Just let him play.  Maybe he will never be an excellent defender but whatever.

If we can “tolerate” basically half players at other positions (a shortstop that is brutally horrible offensively) then I don’t really see the urgency to overreact on Adell due to poor defense.

Let him play through it.  If he needs extra coaching, he can get it as a major leaguer.

Adell improved significantly from '20 to '21.

His defense wasn't that bad last season. -1 OAA isn't good but Upton was far worse(-6). Rojas (-4) and Gosselin (-4) were also worse. DRS had Adell at (+1 overall but -3 in LF) while Upton was -11. Whatever the metric he wasn't terrible.

On offense he was striking out less (23%) while still occasionally walking (6%). At least he looked like a Major league player. 

This year he's taken about 3 steps back except for batting average and slugging. When he makes contact he's hitting it harder but you can't overcome 24 ks to 1 walk.

It's still only 18 games but you want to see improvement on the weak parts of his game, not regression. If he gets sent down he needs to to focus on defense and plate discipline.

If Aristides Aquino made it to the Angels on waivers, I'd claim him and option Adell.

Aquino is much better defensively and fills the role Adell is in (LF vs. LHP with huge power and questionable plate discipline) and allows Adell to play every day in AAA and get much-needed everyday reps in the outfield.

Right now, the Angels don't really have a better option to fill Adell's role. That's the biggest problem.

If they optioned him, they'd need to find a RHH outfielder who is an upgrade in totality.

I don't think we're quite at the point where it is clear that Marsh has run away with the starting job. It looked that way a few days ago, but then he went 0-13 with 9 Ks in his last three games. Every player goes through streaks, good and bad, but especially young guys. 

Maybe a platoon slows the long-term development of Marsh and Adell, but it has to be balanced with fielding the best team. I also question just how much it slows them: with off days from other players and late game replacements, both should still get into 70% of all games. 

Right now, Ward >>>>> Marsh > Adell. Until that single ">" between Marsh and Adell multiples, I think it makes sense to platoon them. And unless the ">>>>>" between Ward and the other two reduces significantly, Ward should be the everyday player.

44 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't think we're quite at the point where it is clear that Marsh has run away with the starting job. It looked that way a few days ago, but then he went 0-13 with 9 Ks in his last three games. Every player goes through streaks, good and bad, but especially young guys. 

Maybe a platoon slows the long-term development of Marsh and Adell, but it has to be balanced with fielding the best team. I also question just how much it slows them: with off days from other players and late game replacements, both should still get into 70% of all games. 

Right now, Ward >>>>> Marsh > Adell. Until that single ">" between Marsh and Adell multiples, I think it makes sense to platoon them. And unless the ">>>>>" between Ward and the other two reduces significantly, Ward should be the everyday player.

I expect Ward to come down to earth here soon and Marsh to sperate himself from Adell. I think Adell is the odd man out after all is said and done 

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

I expect Ward to come down to earth here soon and Marsh to sperate himself from Adell. I think Adell is the odd man out after all is said and done 

I think you're probably right, but neither has happened...yet. And even when Ward comes back down to earth, what will he settle into? It is hard imagining a guy who has hit like he has for a few weeks suddenly becoming just OK - I think he's a legit 120-150 wRC+ guy now, which is where we hope Adell will be in another year or two. Plus, better defense. 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

How do you figure that? 

Even with the 3 bad games in Chicago his overall hitting numbers are 3rd best of all the hitters on the team so far.

And that's not even bringing up Adell's 1.4% walk rate and 36% strikeout rate so far and Adell's horror show on the field.

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think you're probably right, but neither has happened...yet. And even when Ward comes back down to earth, what will he settle into? It is hard imagining a guy who has hit like he has for a few weeks suddenly becoming just OK - I think he's a legit 120-150 wRC+ guy now, which is where we hope Adell will be in another year or two. Plus, better defense. 

Agreed but I wouldn’t bet on Adell reaching that 

8 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

If we can “tolerate” basically half players at other positions (a shortstop that is brutally horrible offensively) then I don’t really see the urgency to overreact on Adell due to poor defense.

Adell isn't half good player.  He's bad at both defense and hitting.