• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

At what point does Adell get sent down?

mmc

23 minutes ago, Don said:

I honestly wonder if a position change would help him. The vast majority of his OF issues involve tracking/reacting to fly balls. Makes me wonder if he might end up being more passable defensively somewhere on the infield. Or if his offense improves significantly, he could just be a fulltime DH. He's getting dangerously close to bust status if this stuff doesn't get figured out though.

Upton used to struggle with the initial read off the bat in LF, and I've noticed Adell take a wrong first step fairly often which implies a poor initial read of the ball off the bat too. Anyone know if there is anything particularly tricky about playing LF at Angels Stadium, a backdrop or advertising or something? I'm reaching here, I know.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

What happens to Adell is out of our control...  I just feel bad for the guy.  I really want to see him succeed and live up to his potential as a baseball player.  I'm just rooting for him.  I hope he figures it out.

I think everyone feels this way.  A successful Adell changes everything.  My concerns are more connected to the perpetual mediocrity that has plagued the Trout years.  I think the frustration towards Adell is more rooted in impatience.  Adell does deserve an opportunity to develop, but Trout deserves a better immediate player.

1 minute ago, Don said:

Keep him as our fulltime DH? Note that I didn't say who Adell should be DHing for. I was just commenting on his potential career path in general.

Yeah, this is kind of where I'm at with him. I don't think he has much of a future in the org barring a substantial injury to one of the other OF guys 

1 minute ago, WicketMaiden said:

Upton used to struggle with the initial read off the bat in LF, and I've noticed Adell take a wrong first step fairly often which implies a poor initial read of the ball off the bat too. Anyone know if there is anything particularly tricky about playing LF at Angels Stadium, a backdrop or advertising or something? I'm reaching here, I know.

I think it is a difficult skill to develop requiring both disciplined movements and experience.  There is a lot to think about in the .25 seconds of decision-making involved in making the first step correctly.

3 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Anyone know if there is anything particularly tricky about playing LF at Angels Stadium, a backdrop or advertising or something? I'm reaching here, I know.

I don’t believe so @WicketMaiden.  Right field and Second Base seem to have more trouble at Angels Stadium when the sun is high, or the shadows creep in.

I think it’s just a matter of poor reads and routes than any visual issues related to the stadium.

12 hours ago, rageous said:

How do you figure that? 

Even with the 3 bad games in Chicago his overall hitting numbers are 3rd best of all the hitters on the team so far.

And that's not even bringing up Adell's 1.4% walk rate and 36% strikeout rate so far and Adell's horror show on the field.

We're still early enough that a few good or bad games can swing stats wildly. I agree that Adell isn't looking good, but his 96 wRC+ is close to league average. One good game and he's above average. 

I'm not opposed to sending him down, I'm just saying that another week or two isn't terrible - especially considering Marsh's inconsistency. 

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

What happens to Adell is out of our control...  I just feel bad for the guy.  I really want to see him succeed and live up to his potential as a baseball player.  I'm just rooting for him.  I hope he figures it out.

He will. I have no doubt.

25 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

I don’t believe so @WicketMaiden.  Right field and Second Base seem to have more trouble at Angels Stadium when the sun is high, or the shadows creep in.

I think it’s just a matter of poor reads and routes than any visual issues related to the stadium.

The Chicago adventure showed that it’s not the stadium alone.

It sounds like learning to judge FBs is one of those things both innate and something lots of practice may help solve?

Problem is, this is possibly the first contention season since 2015.   Do they really want Adell learning on the job here and causing damage defensively? 

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

It's ridiculous to give up on him and put him as a full time DH. He's 23. He is struggling, but even his current struggles as a hitter have him close to league average. He's hitting the ball as hard as almost anyone (EV), so some of this is just bad luck. He still has a chance to turn it around. 

Offensively, you're right. The potential is still there. But it's becoming less and less likely that he'll ever be a competent OFer from a defensive standpoint. I mean if he's still struggling after this much time, he might be beyond helping. His issues are things most major league quality OFers have worked out late in highschool/early on in college/minors.

4 hours ago, Don said:

I honestly wonder if a position change would help him. The vast majority of his OF issues involve tracking/reacting to fly balls. Makes me wonder if he might end up being more passable defensively somewhere on the infield. 

All the infield positions are much more demanding.  

31 minutes ago, Rico said:

All the infield positions are much more demanding.  

True, but they are different. Adell just seems to suck at judging/breaking on fly balls. He has the pure physical ability to play anywhere. He could suck at reacting to grounders and pop ups too though. Who knows?

1 minute ago, Don said:

True, but they are different. Adell just seems to suck at judging/breaking on fly balls. He has the pure physical ability to play anywhere. He could suck at reacting to grounders and pop ups too though. Who knows?

Me