• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Time to make Shohei an Angel for life

Taylor

6 minutes ago, True Grich said:

That's just blarg being blarg...

Yeah, not so myopic as to think this season and the previous share the same level of performance so the expectations for future seasons isn't based on a false premise. 

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Yeah, not so myopic as to think this season and the previous share the same level of performance so the expectations for future seasons isn't based on a false premise. 

You know, since we lost Lifetime there has been a real shortage of accusations of people being “myopic”.  Thank you Blargtime.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Wow, Blarg is actually doubling down on his special take. 

Bold move. 

I think it's more like I'm not living the moment of hype and thinking every game will be like last night. He faced the last place Royals, not the Yankees that knocked him out of the game in 3 innings. 

Ohtani is really good but he also can be really bad. His hitting this season is... slightly better than Jared Walsh? 

His pitching is... not as good as Patrick Sandoval? 

Yay! Lifetime contract at $50 million a year!!! 

It's only June, he could get better. Or maybe this is what he is on even years. But right now he's not an MVP caliber player. He is not a $50 million a year player. 

You guys are free to disagree. 

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I think it's more like I'm not living the moment of hype and thinking every game will be like last night. He faced the last place Royals, not the Yankees that knocked him out of the game in 3 innings. 

Ohtani is really good but he also can be really bad. His hitting this season is... slightly better than Jared Walsh? 

It's only June, he could get better. Or maybe this is what he is on even years. But right now he's not an MVP caliber player. He is not a $50 million a year player. 

Oh believe me, we will.

I think an Ohtani contract would look something like this:

2023: $30M, 2024: $35M, $2025-27: $40M, 2028-30: $45M.

+$5M for every MVP or Cy Young, $1M for 100 IP, $2M for 150 IP. 

That's 8/$320M + incentives, or $40M AAV through the Trout years and Ohtani's age 28-35 seasons. 

During that same time, Trout will make 8/$283.6M.

So he'd make $5M less than Trout next year when he'd normally be in his last year of arbitration, a fraction less than Trout in 2024, but more than him in 2025 and beyond.

Now whether or not he's worth that, who knows. I personally would prefer more a contract that is about $10M lower per year, but with innings incentives that could bring him up to those totals. But I don't think he'd accept that, and someone out there (the Yankees, Dodgers, etc) would give him a deal that didn't include that.

I could also see someone offering him 4/$200M for 2024-27. Meaning, much shorter but way more lucrative per year.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Since the beginning of 2021:

937 PAs, .910 OPS

198.2 innings, 3.10 ERA, 1.07 WHIP

That has to be worth an ultra contract, basically paying for a strong hitter AND ace pitcher.

Offer him $30 million AAV for 7 years, and include enticing bonuses for innings pitched, etc.   Gives him what he’s looking for, and gives the team protection should he not be able to pitch much in a few years.

Edit: Did see AJ’s post above, also incorporating incentives.

Edited by Angel Oracle

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Since the beginning of 2021:

938 PAs, .910 OPS

198.2 innings, 3.10 ERA, 1.07 WHIP

That has to be worth an ultra contract, basically paying for a strong hitter AND ace pitcher.

Offer him $30 million AAV for 7 years, and include enticing bonuses for innings pitched, etc.   Gives him what he’s looking for, and gives the team protection should he not be able to pitch much in a few years.

Edit: Did see AJ’s post above, also incorporating incentives.

But Blarg said it's just two good games.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

My guess is that Ohtani signs a contract with guarantee money around 30 million a year with incentives to earn as much as 10-15 million a year.

Last nights move of resting Trout and Walsh while trying to avoid a sweep by the Royals is inconsistent with a team 'trying' to win.  Resting with an off day the following day?   Ohtani is a competitor, he may not voice his displeasure because he's a class act, but that at least irked him, just a disappointing move by the team last night.  Besides, didn't the team give the same treatment to Rendont?  How did that work out?  Again, looking forward to Fletcher coming back soon and maybe providing this team with some kind of 'spark' the rest of the season. Ohtani likes the vibes of this team going forward and Arte goes above and beyond in the offseason.     

5 minutes ago, 79CAAman said:

Last nights move of resting Trout and Walsh while trying to avoid a sweep by the Royals is inconsistent with a team 'trying' to win.  Resting with an off day the following day?   Ohtani is a competitor, he may not voice his displeasure because he's a class act, but that at least irked him, just a disappointing move by the team last night.  Besides, didn't the team give the same treatment to Rendont?  How did that work out?  Again, looking forward to Fletcher coming back soon and maybe providing this team with some kind of 'spark' the rest of the season. Ohtani likes the vibes of this team going forward and Arte goes above and beyond in the offseason.     

How do you know that it irked him?

A player that says that he wants to win?  Look at him, he's a competitor.  You can't be that good and not be a competitor.  Sitting Walsh and Trout the game before an off day?  Not consistent with being a dozen games out of first and trying to avoid a sweep at the hands of a sub-500 team.  If, on the other hand, they were up 12 games, I would have been cool with the move.  

Just now, 79CAAman said:

A player that says that he wants to win?  Look at him, he's a competitor.  You can't be that good and not be a competitor.  Sitting Walsh and Trout the game before an off day?  Not consistent with being a dozen games out of first and trying to avoid a sweep at the hands of a sub-500 team.  If, on the other hand, they were up 12 games, I would have been cool with the move.  

You still don't know that he was actually irked. Oh, and every player wants to win.

Also, thete was an actual reason Trout wasn't in the lineup.

6 minutes ago, 79CAAman said:

Trout was sore. That’s why he was out yesterday.