• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Time to make Shohei an Angel for life

Taylor

5 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Thing with Ohtani if he hurts his arm still a monster bat. With 6 man rotation big help for him. I would not know where to begin money for him. Ace pitcher and big time hitter. 

As a hitter, is Ohtani among the top 5 in baseball?  Is his hitting alone worth 400 million?

How about 7 years for $280 million?

Would be less stress on the long-term payroll (we owe Trout another $296 million for 8 more years), and Ohtani might appreciate the chance for free agency at a relatively young age. I don't like the 10-year time frame as there are always uncertainties going forward. See Miguel Cabrera among others.

Of course Shohei would probably love 40 mill for ten more years. Who wouldn't? But then again, with inflation and assuming he's still performing at a high level, he might get $60 million or more each season after his 7-year deal expires here.

39 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

How about 7 years for $280 million?

Would be less stress on the long-term payroll (we owe Trout another $296 million for 8 more years), and Ohtani might appreciate the chance for free agency at a relatively young age. I don't like the 10-year time frame as there are always uncertainties going forward. See Miguel Cabrera among others.

Of course Shohei would probably love 40 mill for ten more years. Who wouldn't? But then again, with inflation and assuming he's still performing at a high level, he might get $60 million or more each season after his 7-year deal expires here.

Ohtani will be 28 in July so 7 year contract puts him at 35. 7 year for 280 with an opt out after 3 years he might do.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

To me Ohtani is most talented player ever to play this game. Top 5 hitter now I'm not sure. Trout, Soto, Vlad Jr., Freeman many more. 

I  not sure if ge is top 10.  

The catch 22 in extending him is that he is worth the contracts if he continues to hit and pitch.  Once he becomes a DH only he wouldn't be nearly worth the contract.

What happens if he gets a 10-year deal and then we need to move Trout to DH at some point? This assumes, of course, that Trout gets more frequent injuries as he moves through his 30's and the outfield day after day would be too much stress. Some big assumptions of course, but there's room for only one DH in the lineup.

A 7-year deal is safer for the franchise, in my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

What happens if he gets a 10-year deal and then we need to move Trout to DH at some point? This assumes, of course, that Trout gets more frequent injuries as he moves through his 30's and the outfield day after day would be too much stress. Some big assumptions of course, but there's room for only one DH in the lineup.

A 7-year deal is safer for the franchise, in my opinion. 

Trout isn't Pujols. I don't see him needing to become a full-time DH until he's like 40.

Shohei wants to win. So far, the Angels haven't won, and have had questionable interest in doing what is necessary to win. Not to mention, the NL now has the DH, opening up interest from 15 additional teams. Furthermore, the GM and manager that originally lured him here, are both long gone. 

If I'm Ohtani, I don't even negotiate with the Angels until they're a playoff team, and I see what their plans are next winter in bolstering the club. 

Down the road, the Dodgers and Padres look like strong contenders for a long time. Up the road, the Giants are getting it done too, as are the Mariners, so the whole West Coast thing isn't exclusive to the Angels. Granted SF and Seattle are shitholes, but Shohei doesn't really go out much anyway. 

I hate to say it, but I don't think he's an Angel beyond 2023. 

25 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Not to mention, the NL now has the DH, opening up interest from 15 additional teams.

Don't kid yourself, there will only be a few NL teams that can afford to sign him. (or willing to spend the money)

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Shohei wants to win. So far, the Angels haven't won, and have had questionable interest in doing what is necessary to win. Not to mention, the NL now has the DH, opening up interest from 15 additional teams. Furthermore, the GM and manager that originally lured him here, are both long gone. 

If I'm Ohtani, I don't even negotiate with the Angels until they're a playoff team, and I see what their plans are next winter in bolstering the club. 

Down the road, the Dodgers and Padres look like strong contenders for a long time. Up the road, the Giants are getting it done too, as are the Mariners, so the whole West Coast thing isn't exclusive to the Angels. Granted SF and Seattle are shitholes, but Shohei doesn't really go out much anyway. 

I hate to say it, but I don't think he's an Angel beyond 2023. 

This is a possibility.  That is why the Angels need to negotiate with him early do we could trade him  (if he has no interest in an extension) and get value in return.

23 minutes ago, stormngt said:

This is a possibility.  That is why the Angels need to negotiate with him early do we could trade him  (if he has no interest in an extension) and get value in return.

I think Angels will make a big offer with an opt out  after year 2 or 3. Problem in off season Angels once again will need starting pitching. Young pitchers in minors year or 2 away. Chris Rod and Canning just cannot stay healthy. Arte needs Ohtani more than Ohtani needs Arte. Star power in So. Calif is important. 

7 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I think Angels will make a big offer with an opt out  after year 2 or 3. Problem in off season Angels once again will need starting pitching. Young pitchers in minors year or 2 away. Chris Rod and Canning just cannot stay healthy. Arte needs Ohtani more than Ohtani needs Arte. Star power in So. Calif is important. 

Angels still control Ohtani for another year.  So next year they need to stabilize their SP.

39 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

When was the last time the Angels gave out a contract theat had opt outs? It doesn't seem to be something they do. I think a 7-8 year deal for 245-260 is the sweet spot. 

23 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is a fair point. 

I don’t think the Angels expect Mike Trout to be worth $36M a year when he’s 38. Essentially it’s like a 7-year contract deferred over 10, or something like that. 

As opposed to Pujols that was a 3 year contract differed over 10. 

38 minutes ago, Tony Two Bags said:

When was the last time the Angels gave out a contract theat had opt outs? It doesn't seem to be something they do. I think a 7-8 year deal for 245-260 is the sweet spot. 

It maybe something Ohtani wants, if so Angels may not have a choice. Ohtani will be 28 this year so maybe something he would want. I also think 245 to 260 is way to low. An ace pitcher plus big time bat that sells tickets. Many players now ask for opt outs so they can control their future.