• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Time to make Shohei an Angel for life

Taylor

I am pretty sure that when Ohtani signs a new contract, it's going to be unlike other contracts, because Ohtani is unlike other players.

It won't just be X years and X dollars.

The problem is there is no precedent for two-way players. We have no idea if he's going to still be a two-way player in two years or five years or nine years. How do you do a contract then?

I suspect it's a contract with a lot of clauses and triggers that connect his salary to whether he's a two-way player. 

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I am pretty sure that when Ohtani signs a new contract, it's going to be unlike other contracts, because Ohtani is unlike other players.

It won't just be X years and X dollars.

The problem is there is no precedent for two-way players. We have no idea if he's going to still be a two-way player in two years or five years or nine years. How do you do a contract then?

I suspect it's a contract with a lot of clauses and triggers that connect his salary to whether he's a two-way player. 

That makes a lot of sense. Being this is the Angels, there should be clause included that covers permanent dehydration. If he blows out his arm in Year 4 of the deal and can only hit then the team needs to be protected dollar-wise. 

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The past two nights especially made it crystal clear.

I might be projecting, but the past two nights made me think he's going to leave (unless something drastic happens.)

He's pouring his heart and soul into games, on a sub-.500 team, and no kid ever dreams of watching the playoffs year after year, with never a hope of playing in them.

4 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Why not? His kids don't seem to be interested in baseball. This is a win-win-win scenario.

That’s precisely why I made that comment. Might as well give a piece of a the team to Sho. I think Arte will eventually sell the team though.

Edited by failos

17 minutes ago, failos said:

That’s precisely why I made that comment. Might as well give a piece of a the team to Sho. I think Arte will eventually sell the team though.

Sell to Shohei then he can pay himself whatever contract he wants.

15 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I'm sure two days of performance is exactly what the Angels need to use as the yardstick for Ohtani's worth. It has worked so well for them in the past.

IMG_PHi_j0129_14_.JPG_2_1_IV22GQ1D_L4890

Meh. For one, he's already ingratiated himself to the fanbase, unlike a Pujols, Rendon, etc who had all of their good years playing for a different team. Second, imagine our lineups in a few years without Ohtani. A 35 year old Trout taking every 3rd day off and Rengifo, still maintaining a .203 average, batting 2nd between a freshly extended Matt Duffy and Juan Lagares  

There will be lots of temptation from other teams. Unofficially at first because of tampering rules, but word will get out regardless.

Money likely won't be the issue. The Angels will have to make the best offer or be branded as cheap. That reputation haunted the Red Sox when they sold Babe Ruth. 

Maybe term and guarantees will be problematic. Especially in light of potential health issues over the long term. And usage also could be a factor as he goes through his thirties. 

Right now Ohtani has all the leverage. Marketing factor as well on field elite two way play. But as we know in sports, things can change instantly. So the risk cuts both ways. 

As an aside, wouldn't it have been interesting if there was a DH when Ruth played? We would have a great set of comparable stats. Mind you, Ruth wasn't exactly a fit athlete as he aged. And may have just been happy to be a one way player.