• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Anyone know what's up with Jack Kochanowicz? I can't find him on any rosters - is he sticking in the Arizona complex (demoted)?

Anyhow, the Angels have a nice collection of high floor college arms, and most of their first showings are positive. They should build up very nice depth for the major league staff over the next year or so.

Listed as "injured" here.  Looks like they're waiting for him to recover from whatever it is before deciding where to assign him

18 hours ago, mmc said:

As you can probably tell by my posts I've had way more fun tracking that so far this season than watching the major league team.

Ha...  The minors can be so much more fun than MLB, especially when you are watching things play out you knew were avoidable.

2020 without a minor league season was the absolute worst.

On 4/10/2022 at 8:50 AM, Stradling said:

So Erla is 24 and will be 25 by the end of the season.  So he kinda has to be on fast track, right?  His stuff looked really good in that clip.  Fastball had some life and that change is just dumb. 

He doesn't have to be on a fast track just because he's 24.

Players really only have to be put on the fast track when they are close to becoming Rule 5 eligible, and Erla still isn't Rule 5 eligible until after the 2024 season.

I think Jeremiah Jackson got put on the fast track (skipping High-A and right to AA) because he is Rule 5 eligible after this season.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Ha...  The minors can be so much more fun than MLB, especially when you are watching things play out you knew were avoidable.

2020 without a minor league season was the absolute worst.

So true. This is the one thing throughout the Angels bad seasons since the early 90's (via BA magazine subscriptions) that has kept me enjoying the baseball season when the team has played poorly. 

Once there was access to online box scores on USA Today's Minor League page back in the early 2000's I would hit refresh on those game box scores throughout the evening. We've come a long way, where now I can watch MILB games. I love it. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Trey Cabbage slashed .264/.346/.535 with 27 HR last season. 

FQEMEotXwAAXrTD.jpeg

His insane exit velos are likely what attracted the Angels to him. They seem to be placing an emphasis on exit velos in their minor league free agent signings.

The Walsh comp feels a little strong, particularly because Cabbage has K'd way more than Walsh did in the minors and because Cabbage became a minor league free agent. The Twins wouldn't let him become a minor league free agent if he was tracking like Jared Walsh.

7 minutes ago, Trendon said:

He doesn't have to be on a fast track just because he's 24.

Players really only have to be put on the fast track when they are close to becoming Rule 5 eligible, and Erla still isn't Rule 5 eligible until after the 2024 season.

I think Jeremiah Jackson got put on the fast track (skipping High-A and right to AA) because he is Rule 5 eligible after this season.

Hey, I'm sorry if this is a lot of work to comprise, but can you tell me all of our prospects who will be rule 5 eligible for the first time after this season?

4 minutes ago, mmc said:

Hey, I'm sorry if this is a lot of work to comprise, but can you tell me all of our prospects who will be rule 5 eligible for the first time after this season?

Spotrac will have it. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/los-angeles-angels/prospects/

All the guys listed as Rule V eligible now are eligible next year unless protected.

In the Major League portion of the Rule 5 Draft, players not on a 40-man roster, plus who were signed at age 19 or older and have been in professional baseball for four years were eligible to be selected. Players who are 18 or younger and not on a 40-man roster were eligible after five years.

So after the 2022 season, anyone drafted or signed out of college in the 2018 draft or anyone drafted or signed from high school in 2017.

I don't think Jackson or Adams are eligible until the 2023 offseason Rule V. If they are they and possibly Kochanawicz would have to be added but I think that's one year away.

24 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The Walsh comp feels a little strong, particularly because Cabbage has K'd way more than Walsh did in the minors and because Cabbage became a minor league free agent. The Twins wouldn't let him become a minor league free agent if he was tracking like Jared Walsh.

Yeah, just a vibe not an exact comp. LHH with some pop and good exit velo's who can play OF and 1B. 

Walsh did strikeout 154 times over 130 games in 2018 when he clubbed 29 HR's, and fanned 115 times over 98 games in 2019. 

But yeah, Walsh has made more consistent contact over Cabbage over the course of their minor league careers as a comparison. 

As for why the Twins let him become a minor league free agent. Sometimes it's a depth thing and they have too many at one or two different positions so they release the player so they can pick up another team to play for in the minors, in hopes of making it to the big leagues. Wouldn't be the first time a minor leaguer became a free agent and took off with his new club and made it to the big leagues and had success. 

Almost all prospects have imperfections, the only ones without are either elite, like Wander Franco, or are AAAA players because they don't have a single stand out tool. 

For most prospects, it's about minimizing those flaws as they develop so they can accentuate their strengths. For Cabbage specifically, it's working the count and making enough contact so that his power can carry his value. 

For Stefanic it's proving versatile and capable enough defensively that he isn't a liability, which I feel he's done. 

For Adams it's making enough meaningful contact that his speed, strength and athleticism can be useful somewhere other than the outfield. 

2 hours ago, mmc said:

FanGraphs/Roster Resource is a great resource for that stuff. https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/angels

Based on their info:

Top 30 Prospects that are Rule 5 Eligible after the 2022 season: Davis Daniel, Ryan Smith, Jeremiah Jackson, and Jordyn Adams

Non-Top 30 Prospects that are Rule 5 Eligible after the 2022 season: Anthony Mulrine, Zach Linginfelter, Kolton Ingram, Jack Dashwood, Jose Guzman, Brent Killam, Dakota Donovan, and Chase Chaney.

2 hours ago, greginpsca said:

Question. Didn't the cancellation of the minor league season in 2020 give the players an extra year before being rule 5 eligible?

I don't believe so. It just accelerated the Rule 5 eligibility timelines for all those players.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

Another strong game for Nick Jones with Tri-City

2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K

I meant to comment on the vid earlier in this thread.  That dude is pure nasty.  In some scouting video's he was more 3/4s but now he seems to have dropped down a bit from that.  Not sidearm but lower than he was.  And stepping more toward 1b coming across his body.  And either there's some velo there or it just gets on guys pretty quick.  

This could be a really big year for the Angels' minor league pitching. I would not be surprised if by the end of '22 we're looking at a farm that resembles a bit of what the Braves had five years ago or so. I remember something like 16 of their top 20 prospects were pitchers - and something like every single starter in the rotation at AA and AAA had strong peripherals and ERAs in the 3's or better. It was nuts. 

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

This could be a really big year for the Angels' minor league pitching. I would not be surprised if by the end of '22 we're looking at a farm that resembles a bit of what the Braves had five years ago or so. I remember something like 16 of their top 20 prospects were pitchers - and something like every single starter in the rotation at AA and AAA had strong peripherals and ERAs in the 3's or better. It was nuts. 

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

We aren't anywhere near that level yet. The Braves system that was packed full of SP, had a surplus of projetable, hyped bonus babies. You don't get that level of talent without superior scouting combined with high draft picks and years of a strong Latin American presence. 

The Angels spent one draft class on a bunch of high floor college starters.

There's a difference. 

Now oddly enough, many of those hyped Braves pitching prospects flamed out in the majors. So in the long run, the Angels draft class may accumulate as much success as the hyped Braves system. However, of we also view prospects as trade currency, their system dwarfs the current Angels crop. 

Edited by Second Base

19 minutes ago, mmc said:

The guys in Low-A badly need to start hitting.  Only one who really is so far is Knowles, and he's had very limited ABs

5 BB to 2 K 😍

I still think D'Shawn could be a fantastic prospect. All the tools are there, just hasn't clicked. If it happens his stock could shoot way up.