• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

10 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I mean 5 years ago, we had Othani (*), Adell, marsh, C-Rod, Barria, Canning, Sandy, Thaiss, Suarez, Ward, Flec, and Walsh as our top prospects. Most of these guy are up now on the main roster. 

Sorry, but I don't count Ohtani as prospect (which I'm assuming you don't really, either, given the asterisk). Sandoval was acquired via trade in mid-2018, so he wasn't in the system 5 years ago.  Rodriguez has pitched about 3 innings in the last 5 years (I'm only slightly exaggerating there...).  Thaiss, Canning, Barria, and Ward have yet to contribute much, though there's certainly still time.  Suarez certainly showed some promise last year.  Hoping he can replicate it this year.  Jury is still out on Adell and Marsh, but obviously hopes are high.  Walsh still needs to improve against lefties or he won't be a starter for long.

There's still a lot of untapped potential in that group and some are still very young.  But as of this moment, I don't look at them and think, "Oh wow, that's a really solid group overall and shows that our farm system was good 4-5 years ago." 

Brett Kerry with a really nice outing for the Pandas.  5ip, 5h (all singles), 0bb, 8k.  I think all but one swinging.  He was our 5th rounder in 2021.  About 6'.  So not overly imposing.  

I watched him work.  Very efficient.  None of the hits were cheap but 3 oppo and two to CF.  No one really pulled him.  There were a couple fly balls there were deepish and the park seemed pretty large.  But by and large the dude was in complete control.  First 6 outs were via the K and whiffed his last batter as well.  

FB was 92-93ish.  Probably touch 94/95 a couple times.   Pretty good movement.  Interestingly, I think all the hits he gave up were on fastballs down in the zone.  And the ones up in the zone moved even more.  I think 5 or 6 of his K's were on fastballs up that had good armside movement.  He commanded the zone very very well.  Up, down, in, out.  

His out pitch is a pretty damn nasty slider.  He threw a couple early and I was like alright, not bad.  And then he got on top of hit and it was filthy when he did.  Really good depth and late break.  Guys swung and missed on it both in and out of the zone.  Pretty much threw it where he wanted.  A very nice pitch.  

Threw some changeups to lefties.  Pretty much a show me pitch though.  Seemed halfway decent with good armside break and drop but opposing batters seemed to spit on it pretty easily.  But it didn't get him in trouble.   Seems like it could be developed though.  

Seems pretty advanced overall.  Back end starter potential I think and maybe even a bit better if he can get that change going and tick up in velo just a touch.  Fastball up, slider, and command were definitely the highlights.  

Olthoff not bad for the Devils (high A).  9th rounder in 2021.  Big, imposing guy but didn't seem to be throwing very hard.  Nothing straight whatsoever.  Kinda hard to tell what he was even throwing half the time.  Fastball moves a ton.  Only one hard it ball that I saw for a solo shot on a fastball that flattened out up in the zone.  

Guy's delivery is like that of a knuckleballer.  Super short arm.  Short stride.  Pretty sure he was throwing at least 4 or 5 pitches.  My guess is that the two seamer (didn't see a four seamer) was in the low 90's.  Threw a lot of strikes but I wouldn't say he had much command.  More control.  So much movement that I'm pretty sure he just started everything down the middle and let it break.  Got a decent number of swing and miss with what looked to be a slider.  Worked fast and certainly wasn't afraid.  

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Brett Kerry with a really nice outing for the Pandas.  5ip, 5h (all singles), 0bb, 8k.  I think all but one swinging.  He was our 5th rounder in 2021.  About 6'.  So not overly imposing.  

I watched him work.  Very efficient.  None of the hits were cheap but 3 oppo and two to CF.  No one really pulled him.  There were a couple fly balls there were deepish and the park seemed pretty large.  But by and large the dude was in complete control.  First 6 outs were via the K and whiffed his last batter as well.  

FB was 92-93ish.  Probably touch 94/95 a couple times.   Pretty good movement.  Interestingly, I think all the hits he gave up were on fastballs down in the zone.  And the ones up in the zone moved even more.  I think 5 or 6 of his K's were on fastballs up that had good armside movement.  He commanded the zone very very well.  Up, down, in, out.  

His out pitch is a pretty damn nasty slider.  He threw a couple early and I was like alright, not bad.  And then he got on top of hit and it was filthy when he did.  Really good depth and late break.  Guys swung and missed on it both in and out of the zone.  Pretty much threw it where he wanted.  A very nice pitch.  

Threw some changeups to lefties.  Pretty much a show me pitch though.  Seemed halfway decent with good armside break and drop but opposing batters seemed to spit on it pretty easily.  But it didn't get him in trouble.   Seems like it could be developed though.  

Seems pretty advanced overall.  Back end starter potential I think and maybe even a bit better if he can get that change going and tick up in velo just a touch.  Fastball up, slider, and command were definitely the highlights.  

There was some debate when they drafted Kerry as to whether he would pitch out of the rotation or in relief, because he can do either. 

Looks like little has changed. He has the stamina to be a starter but lacked an effective third pitch, which if your fastball isn't mid-90's like Ervin's was (another two-pitch pitcher, who later developed a wicked two-seam to act as a third pitch) limits you as a pitcher. 

I'd say Kerry profiles similar to Nick Tropeano. Good fastball-change combo. Never developed the breaking ball like I thought he would.  Swing starter.

And that makes Jaime Barria's development all the more perplexing. Three workable pitches, decent control, clean mechanics, good stamina. His issue may be between the ears, or in that none of house three or four pitches profile as better than average offerings. 

Edited by Second Base