• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Aaron Loup (2 years, $15 million + $7.5M club option/$2M buyout), DFA Yan

mmc

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

The problem with backloading it is at some point you have to have money available to sign Ohtani.  

This is true, and in truth, I think the most likely outcome is we don't really see anyone signed for more than 2 years, with the exception of maybe one contract.

I doubt we'll see Iglesias *AND* a SP like Scherzer, Gausman, Ray, etc.  I would suspect the FO would be more inclined to pursue a SP, and instead try to solve the bullpen with a variety of one and two year contracts.

In an ideal offseason, I'd opt to sign Scherzer, Knebel, and then patch the rest of the holes up with whomever.  A rotation headlined by Scherzer, Ohtani, and Syndergaard will make us incredibly competitive. 

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Nope. Well they might be out but they’ll sign another closer. 

I doubt that. This guy has all the attributes of a closer, he wasn't given the role because Edwin Diaz was the designated closer from previous seasons. 

The Angels will be looking for a setup arm but I believe the closer role has been filled. 

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not certain of that. If they had no intent on signing him they would have traded him last year before the deadline. 

Ever heard of a back up plan? Iglesias provided two possibilities, one is sign to an extended contract and if that wasn't practical get the draft pick on the QO which would compensate for their starting pitcher free agent choice. You guys are always thinking so linear instead of every choice has different options. 

They had since their season ended to broker a deal with Iglesias and obviously that wasn't possible so they went for the QO and Syndegaard early. I think if they had signed Iglesias at the going rate for closers they would have looked a tier lower for a starting pitcher that didn't have a draft pick attached. 

30 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Ever heard of a back up plan? Iglesias provided two possibilities, one is sign to an extended contract and if that wasn't practical get the draft pick on the QO which would compensate for their starting pitcher free agent choice. You guys are always thinking so linear instead of every choice has different options. 

They had since their season ended to broker a deal with Iglesias and obviously that wasn't possible so they went for the QO and Syndegaard early. I think if they had signed Iglesias at the going rate for closers they would have looked a tier lower for a starting pitcher that didn't have a draft pick attached

If they are serious about winning now then I think they would be willing to sign both. I guess we will see

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

This is true, and in truth, I think the most likely outcome is we don't really see anyone signed for more than 2 years, with the exception of maybe one contract.

I doubt we'll see Iglesias *AND* a SP like Scherzer, Gausman, Ray, etc.  I would suspect the FO would be more inclined to pursue a SP, and instead try to solve the bullpen with a variety of one and two year contracts.

In an ideal offseason, I'd opt to sign Scherzer, Knebel, and then patch the rest of the holes up with whomever.  A rotation headlined by Scherzer, Ohtani, and Syndergaard will make us incredibly competitive. 

Upton’s contract is not likely to be extended. His money will go to Syndergaard and Ohtani. 

I guess I like the player although the move is puzzling to me.  It's not like he's an elite reliever and had an elite season at age 33.  So a decent add depending on his potential role but damn if he's not a potential poster child for pen volatility.  And I agree that Iglesias is likely out as I don't see them spending 25 mil on two pen arms.  let alone 17-18m on one.  So maybe Syndergaard is an upgrade over Cobb and maybe Loup is good enough to where that upgrade off sets the downgrade from Iglesias.  

So the net result so far at 28.5 mil is probably a break even?  Maybe.  

Anyway, I understood the Syndergaard move and it made me think I kinda understood where they might be going.  With this move I'm now back to being fully confused.  It's got the potential to mean that they're about to go huge on spending or it means they're about to do some really stupid crap.  Or I guess it could mean that they'll leave the team unfinished

20 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I guess I like the player although the move is puzzling to me.  It's not like he's an elite reliever and had an elite season at age 33.  So a decent add depending on his potential role but damn if he's not a potential poster child for pen volatility.  And I agree that Iglesias is likely out as I don't see them spending 25 mil on two pen arms.  let alone 17-18m on one.  So maybe Syndergaard is an upgrade over Cobb and maybe Loup is good enough to where that upgrade off sets the downgrade from Iglesias.  

Anyway, I understood the Syndergaard move and it made me think I kinda understood where they might be going.  With this move I'm now back to being fully confused.  It's got the potential to mean that they're about to go huge on spending or it means they're about to do some really stupid crap.  Or I guess it could mean that they'll leave the team unfinished

i think he's intended to be the setup man and closer in reserve in case of emergency.

8 hours ago, mmc said:

I do worry if his high price tag means the ship has sailed on Raisel and we will look to add multiple cheaper relievers.

my initial thought exactly. If Loup is signed to complement Iglesias - great. But if to somehow replace him and then add 'multiple cheaper relievers' - YES - that's a concern given the Halos front office history on all this.

7 hours ago, Hubs said:

Upton’s contract is not likely to be extended. His money will go to Syndergaard and Ohtani. 

Truthfully, I think the FO is likely aiming to avoid long-term contracts on the whole.  Imagine if we signed Trevor Baur last offseason.  We'd probably only have maybe 15-20mil total to spend this offseason, which means we would have been screwed.

Rendon could be the "new" Upton.  His first year was good, but injured and ineffective last year.  His injury is not a minor one, so if he is unable to rebound, that means we have another 5 years left of an onerous contract.  

Given Trout and Rendon combine for 70mil a year, and Ohtani in 2 years will likely require 35mil+ as well, I think the FO will try to aim for higher AAV, short-term deals (like Syndergaard), vs signing anyone to 4+ year contracts.

I was hopeful for Scherzer, in that I think 3 years is probably the max we'd see for a contract, but he's probably beyond our budget, too.

That said, just because we can't dole out large contracts, doesn't mean we can't find good players.  We traded for Iglesias last offseason, after all - it just "cost" us Noe Ramirez and ~8mil.  

We'll see what happens.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

This statement kinda sums up my view of Minasian's tenure. 

Lots of moves that haven't really changed the complexion of much. Same process, same results, maybe even less shrewd and creative than Eppler. That didn't work either. 

I still feel the Angels and Perry need to make some move this winter that is bold and risky and goes against the expectation. Whether that's a shocking trade, spending much more than expected, a creative FA signing or two that dominoes other trades and therefore, smaller signings, whatever.

Edited by totdprods

35 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This statement kinda sums up my view of Minasian's tenure. 

Lots of moves that haven't really changed the complexion of much. Same process, same results, maybe even less shrewd and creative than Eppler. That didn't work either. 

I still feel the Angels and Perry need to make some move this winter that is bold and risky and goes against the expectation. Whether that's a shocking trade, spending much more than expected, a creative FA signing or two that dominoes other trades and therefore, smaller signings, whatever.

Yup. I'd like to see them spend more before they start making trades. I'd save the trades for mid-season. 
Loup is a good arm, but in no way is he a replacement for what we had in Iglesias. Syndergaard is high-upside/high-risk, but will still be on limited innings. Who knows how that plays in the playoffs as well. 

Ohtani has Ace material, but it's hard to fully count on him given his task at the plate as well. So to your point, Arte needs to be willing to spend a bit more to get that true #1 (Scherzer), or be safer with a healthy arm like Stroman. Then still give someone like Iglesias an offer. That makes the rotation and bullpen look MUCH better, deeper and safer. 

If the Angels can do that then they still have a TON of trade pieces they can flip mid-season for a shortstop or someone else if need be. 

What if those 4 cars were Minasian, Carpino, Arte and Upton and they're talking about waiving his NTC to clear salary. Who knows.....

I think it's a very real possibility that Thor will wind up being the big add, the Angels will add someone like Melancon to go with Loup and expect them to match Iglesias, and then with the last $15m or so they sign someone like Matz, a back-up catcher, and one more mid-reliever and call it an offseason. 

Bright side is they don't tie up payroll in the slightest and keep all the prospects, but, might not be enough for '22.

Edited by totdprods