• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal

Amazing Larry

48 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Thoracic Outlet doesn't have nearly the recovery rate of Tommy John though. Circumstantially, it's similar because it's an injury related surgery. I have more confidence in a return to form for 90% of Tommy John-ers, but TO? Maybe 20%. I've noticed that even when they do come back, it isn't the same. 

Sure, they also weren't looking at him to come back from TOS, he had already done that.  They were looking for him to build on his second half showing and the uptick in velocity.  Like I said, he was the one guy I wanted no part of in large part because of the TOS.

My point...  There were differences, but both signings were rooted in high risk/high reward.

Interesting read...

https://nypost.com/2021/11/17/mets-ghosted-noah-syndergaard-opened-door-for-angels-pursuit/

Excerpt:

Minasian is about to start his second year as Angels GM as the successor to the presumptive next Mets GM, Billy Eppler, He came to New York armed with details on, among other things, how his club would have him pitch to individual players on each team in the AL West. He spoke of the success the Angels enjoyed last year with a six-man rotation, which helped get Shohei Ohtani through a season of hitting and pitching healthy. Minasian said the plan would stay the same and showed Syndergaard how pitching in a six-man rotation would give more time for recovery and lower his overall inning total when all he had in 2020-21 in the majors was two one-inning stints to close out the past season. Minasian brought data to show what the Angels liked about his delivery and pitch mix and how to make them even more effective.

More...

Many teams such as the Braves and Red Sox, at minimum, checked in. The Blue Jays, though, were the other team most interested. But Minasian, who had been part of the draft apparatus in Toronto when Syndergaard was selected and always valued him highly, was the most aggressive. The Angels did not want to lose a draft pick in compensation. But the cost for the high-end starters — such as Kevin Gausman, Robbie Ray and Max Scherzer — was giving them pause at this point of the offseason and Minasian felt he knew enough about Syndergaard to play the upside gamble before trying to find more rotation help.

Edited by True Grich

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

If the cause for pause is true... that's pretty telling.

Noah is a great first move. The upside is there if the cost for someone 'better' proves too high the rest of winter. We at least got someone with true #1-#2 potential checked off the list.

We can be a little more opportunistic with the guys at the top of the class now, and can build contingency plans should Syndergaard wind up being the 'best' SP we get.

24 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Meh. He'll put up a 5 ERA for 3 starts and then suffer another season ending injury, leaving us in the same position we started in. But it's not my money so I don't care. The upside is that now Chris Rodriguez will have company on the 60-day IL

Ok Canadian. 

20 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Interesting read...

https://nypost.com/2021/11/17/mets-ghosted-noah-syndergaard-opened-door-for-angels-pursuit/

Excerpt:

Minasian is about to start his second year as Angels GM as the successor to the presumptive next Mets GM, Billy Eppler, He came to New York armed with details on, among other things, how his club would have him pitch to individual players on each team in the AL West. He spoke of the success the Angels enjoyed last year with a six-man rotation, which helped get Shohei Ohtani through a season of hitting and pitching healthy. Minasian said the plan would stay the same and showed Syndergaard how pitching in a six-man rotation would give more time for recovery and lower his overall inning total when all he had in 2020-21 in the majors was two one-inning stints to close out the past season. Minasian brought data to show what the Angels liked about his delivery and pitch mix and how to make them even more effective.

More...

Many teams such as the Braves and Red Sox, at minimum, checked in. The Blue Jays, though, were the other team most interested. But Minasian, who had been part of the draft apparatus in Toronto when Syndergaard was selected and always valued him highly, was the most aggressive. The Angels did not want to lose a draft pick in compensation. But the cost for the high-end starters — such as Kevin Gausman, Robbie Ray and Max Scherzer — was giving them pause at this point of the offseason and Minasian felt he knew enough about Syndergaard to play the upside gamble before trying to find more rotation help.

I was just going to post the Joel Sherman article on the Syndergaard signing but True Grich already did.  Great work here by both Perry Minasian and True Grich for out hustling all.