• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels looking for ‘aggressive’ starter to ‘set the tone’ for pitching staff

AngelsWin.com

CARLSBAD — Perry Minasian has told anyone who asks that the Angels are looking for pitching, pitching and more pitching.

The general manager is also looking for a specific type of pitcher, which goes beyond just evaluating his ERA.

“We’re looking for quality, not only on the mound, but there’s a makeup component to it too,” Minasian said during the second day of the annual GM meetings on Tuesday. “There’s a certain type of personality we’re looking for on the mound to fit with what we currently have, to set the tone.”

Minasian further explained that the pitcher, or pitchers, he wants will be “aggressive.”

“Certain pitchers set tones, and I think there’s a trickle-down effect,” he said. “I think we’re lacking that area.”

The free agent pitching market is full of experienced veterans with successful careers who could fit that bill, most notably Max Scherzer. Scherzer, however, is going to be 37 next season, and the Dodgers are certainly going to make a run at re-signing him.

Clayton Kershaw also seemingly could fit that bill, but he too comes with questions surrounding his age and health. He’s going to be 34 and is coming off an injury.

Among the younger pitchers on the free agent market, the best are Robbie Ray, Marcus Stroman, Kevin Gausman, Eduardo Rodriguez and Carlos Rodon.

The trade market also could include plenty of other top starters, such as Cincinnati’s Luis Castillo and Sonny Gray, Oakland’s Chris Bassitt and Sean Manaea, the Cubs’ Kyle Hendricks and Colorado’s German Marquez.

“There’s a list of guys we really liked that we think are fits,” Minasian said. “It’s just a matter of obviously being in communication and seeing if there’s a fit.”

Minasian would not specify how many pitchers are on the Angels’ wish list as the offseason begins. He also didn’t say how it might break down between “big names” and “middle-tier” options.

“We’ve seen examples of the big résumé that’s gone and performed really well somewhere and the big résumé that’s gone and struggled,” Minasian said. “Similar, I think we’ve seen middle-tier signs or lower-tier signs that have been really productive. To me, it’s more about exhausting every option.”

‘NOT FORGOTTEN’

Griffin Canning had a breakthrough during the pandemic-shortened season in 2020, posting a 3.99 ERA in 11 starts. He struggled in 2021, though, getting sent to Triple-A and then suffering a season-ending back injury.

Canning is now healthy and working out in Arizona, trying to claw back into a spot in the Angels’ rotation.

“He’s not forgotten,” Minasian said. “We’re very high on Griff. He’s talented. He had some games last year that he showed significant potential of what he can be. Health is a big deal. He got hurt at the end of the year. He’s locked into having a productive offseason and coming into spring training 100 percent, showing what he’s capable of doing.”

OUTFIELD ROLES

Minasian wouldn’t commit to the roles for outfielders Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh and Justin Upton. He said it’s possible that Adell and Marsh could be the starters, along with three-time American League MVP Mike Trout.

Where does that leave Upton?

“We’ll work that out in spring training,” Minasian said. “Joe (Maddon) makes the lineup. We’ll see what happens this offseason and how things shake out. But Justin’s had an outstanding career. We saw spurts last year where he can be really productive. Health’s a big deal. We need him healthy. A healthy Justin Upton has a chance to be productive.”

View the full article

Out of any free agent i'd only feel confident in a game 7 situation giving the ball to Scherzer or Verlander (if healthy). 

Just my opinion, but adding others like Gray or Ray or anyone else will get you to the playoffs, but i'd still be terrified. The other two guys are proven contenders year in and year out. 

Minasian can sugarcoat it any way he wants, but the need is obvious if he says "Certain pitchers set tones, and I think there’s a trickle-down effect". That answer is very simple with who that player is. 

16 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Out of any free agent i'd only feel confident in a game 7 situation giving the ball to Scherzer or Verlander (if healthy). 

Just my opinion, but adding others like Gray or Ray or anyone else will get you to the playoffs, but i'd still be terrified. The other two guys are proven contenders year in and year out. 

Minasian can sugarcoat it any way he wants, but the need is obvious if he says "Certain pitchers set tones, and I think there’s a trickle-down effect". That answer is very simple with who that player is. 

I’d say you add Syndergaard to that list of healthy and Stroman is underrated and hasn’t had the opportunity to be that guy. But the Mets suck. 

5 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Verlander 2 years 46 mill a short term deal. Stroman 5 years 118 mill. Ohtani, Suarez, Sandoval, Canning, Detmers

No way in hell am I giving Verlander $23 million a year his first year back from TJ surgery.  How many pitchers have been good their first year back?  Smoltz and who else?

I wish Perry good luck in his holiday shopping along the top shelf of available pitching leases. I'll wait until he finalizes his gift list before rendering judgment. I have no real favorites. Prime Max would be nice, but is he still prime? Claytie has been slipping a bit for several seasons. Injuries can hit anybody, even guys who have never yet been seriously hurt. So I say, "Go Perry!, fly free in your search."

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

"Aggressive" is this winter's "culture"....  

I'm hoping for quality, period 

last year it was also defense and the importance of a quality backstop.  We got Fowler, Kurt and the second worst defense in baseball.

thank God he didn't say the focus was on depth and a quality bullpen.    

2 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Sadly, not for this. A fine distraction (Buttler has been pretty amazing at times) but poor therapy for my baseball trauma. Cricket just seems to be run that much better (pardon the pun).

Yes! Needed that wicket! (Conway.)

Got that wicket as soon as I posted. 

I love that they play Chelsea Dagger when an opposing player is sent off.