• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels looking for ‘aggressive’ starter to ‘set the tone’ for pitching staff

AngelsWin.com

On 11/13/2021 at 11:11 AM, totdprods said:

Sign a couple cheap $1m vet RP like we did Claudio, Cishek, Watson and hope we get lucky 

i think if we end up signing someone like scherzer, we'd better make sure we sign bullpen guys that a lot more reliable than who we had last year. i think he'd expect it, too.

On 11/14/2021 at 6:02 PM, Tank said:

i think if we end up signing someone like scherzer, we'd better make sure we sign bullpen guys that a lot more reliable than who we had last year. i think he'd expect it, too.

I agree somewhat, but spending money on the pen doesn't always guarantee success. Rockies tried it a couple years ago and it flopped. 

We have some PTSD around Watson and Cishek but by the end of the year, dollar for dollar, they wound up both being pretty solid. 
Watson: 1.01 WHIP, 57.1 IP, 3.48 FIP, 3.92 ERA
Cishek: 1.49 WHIP, 68.1 IP, 3.74 FIP, 3.42 ERA

Neither were great, and Cishek's peripherals hinted at much worse he was, but for a million bucks and slotted in as the low-leverage guys in the pen, they'd be fine (or their equivalents)

We need a closer and we need at least one set-up guy brought in, no doubt. But taking a flier on cheap vets is as sound as spending big, so long as you're managing expectations. I like the idea of having 5-6 kids in AA/AAA (Warren, Wantz, maybe Pina and Yan, Bachman, etc.) ready to call up as needed if the cheapies flop, rather than slotting them in to start the year and risk having thin depth.