• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I really want them to snag one of the FA OFs for like 1/$5m-$12m, even if we don't trade anyone. Flip 'em at the deadline if the kids are ready. 

Jorge Soler would be a great add, IMO. Worst case scenario he's basically an expensive version of Jo Adell. Low contact, lots of strikeouts, iffy defense, still has big power. Best case scenario he's a huge offensive boon for a year. He may be fine with a one-year too, because a universal DH would greatly expand his market next year.

Upton is still on the roster. So in effect they have their outfield set. Soler would be a waste of money. 

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Upton is still on the roster. So in effect they have their outfield set. Soler would be a waste of money. 

Or he'd put up the best OF slash we've had outside of Trout in the last couple of seasons, if he replicated his Braves line or his 2018-2019 seasons. 

There's room on the roster for Upton, Trout, Soler, and one of the OF kids. The other can keep working in AAA or get shipped out in a trade...Adell for Castillo, Marsh for Meyer...

Or they can both go to AAA and keep working for the first couples of months and come up if we see Upton and Soler aren't cutting it. Stack the depth, or else we wind up with Kean Wong and Luis Rengifo types in RF.

Edited by totdprods

27 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

And many others are “so fucking tired” of having a subpar rotation.

I don’t want to NOT have Marsh or Adell.   But I also believe it is easier to find a third outfielder that it is to get the quality starting pitching the team needs.

Then buy a fucking pitcher but don't fuck over another 5 years of sub replacement players bungling around in the outfield when you have two studs ready to play with Trout. These three guys together play 90% of the games, your pitcher (the one position with the highest volatility) shows up 1/6th of them. Can you see the difference or are you always stuck on name brands?

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Absolutely. That's why I'd rather keep Detmers. I'm actually pretty on-board the idea of Bachman being a reliever even on the Opening Day roster. 

Being an Ohio product, I could see Cincinnati having a smidge of over-valuation of Bachman, so he might mean more to them than to us or other teams. If that's true, 'exploiting' that interest and value makes the shrewdest sense.

I would totally deal Bachman, Barria or Canning, Rengifo, Adams for Castillo. 

Just now, totdprods said:

Or he'd put up the best OF slash we've had outside of Trout in the last couple of seasons, if he replicated his Braves line or his 2018-2019 seasons. 

There's room on the roster for Upton, Trout, Soler, and one of the OF kids. The other can keep working in AAA or get shipped out in a trade...Adell for Castillo, Marsh for Meyer...

Or they can both go to AAA and keep working for the first couples of months and come up if we see Upton and Soler aren't cutting it.

This is really dumb. Neither Adell or Marsh needs any more time in AAA. You are stuck on name brands and the last thing you saw on TV. Soler does not move the franchise forward, he keeps them spinning their wheels in the same place.

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Then buy a fucking pitcher but don't fuck over another 5 years of sub replacement players bungling around in the outfield when you have two studs ready to play with Trout. These three guys together play 90% of the games, your pitcher (the pone position with the highest volitility) shows up 1/6th of them. Can you see the difference or are you always stuck on name brands?

We all want them to just buy a starter.  If that doesn’t work I am willing to make a deal to solve the rotation.

To me, the least acceptable/excusable roster vulnerability going into 2022 would be the starting rotation.  That’s my view.

And let me point out that it may be very fair to say that the fans overly coveting their own prospects are actually the ones “stuck on name brands.”

Edited by Dtwncbad

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

This is really dumb. Neither Adell or Marsh needs any more time in AAA. You are stuck on name brands and the last thing you saw on TV. Soler does not move the franchise forward, he keeps them spinning their wheels in the same place.

Cool, let's see how Soler, Marsh, Upton, and Adell are looking a couple months into the season. I hope beyond hope Marsh and Adell are kickin' fucking ass but I'd bet Soler (or Joc, Pham, Rosario, Canha) will likely be outperforming them. 

I still believe in Adell’s power being elite.  I would move Marsh over Adell because of it.

It appears by reading all the chatter that the market puts more trade value on Marsh than Adell and I would be perfectly happy utilizing that higher trade value to get the best possible return and hold on to Adell’s power bat.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am not comfortable with “they have added two starting pitchers.”  They have added one, and added a reliever they will let TRY to be a starter.

I am not ripping on Lorenzen but I don’t view him as any kind of lock to be better than the parade of bodies the Angels have marched out there over the last couple of years.

We all hope he is good.  But I view him as a lottery ticket, and not evidence that they have added what they need to the rotation.

Ill add here.

IMO, viewing Ohtani as a starter is "unique". Hes one of the best, for sure. But hes a once a week guy. And if he gets tired, less than that.

And at any point he could miss time from sliding into 2cd or something..... (someone needs to say it).

Syndegaard should be back, and has the motivation (2023) to crush it. But my understanding is he will be limited, too.

Lorenzen is a giant unknown.

They need another starter. Im just not sure they want to spend on one.

Im with Blarg. Buy a pitcher, dont trade. For all I know, adell and marsh end up sucking, who knows. 

But we need position players almost as much as pitchers. Sure, we could snag a 3rd outfielder. And that, in theory, is easier than a one year number 5 SP.

But then again, whos the last good position guy we've acquired? Rendon? Then who else?

Our pitching has sucked for years. But quietly, so has our offense. The stop gap guys we keep cycling through have been bundyesque (see @Angelsjunky, i can do it too).

Id love to see the castillo trade.... but the cost is going to suck. We have more money than depth, and a farm

Keep the outfielders.  Buy a pitcher.

I really want to see what Marsh can do at the top of the lineup with Trout and Rendon back in the lineup.  Adell will be that wildcard in the 6 or 7 spot and Upton rotates in when needed.  

Continue to develop Bachman, Davis etc and if we’re close, make a trade at the deadline for a TOR pitcher. 

You guys wanting to trade Adell or Bachman or I’ve even suggestions of more than that ! You guys really have brass balls.  I don’t have the stomach for that.  That’s crazy.  I can really cautiously accept trading Bachman but Adell and Marsh are fully controlled probably major leaguers.  I think you’re really risking a big mistake trading for a pitcher that’s going to be a FA soon.  It’s not like Castillo puts the Angels into serious World Series contention.  I don’t know.  This doesn't make sense to me.  They have to figure something else out. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I am so fucking tired of having only two outfielders the last 5 years that the thought of trading one of Adell or Marsh sickens me. Buy a damn pitcher but leave those two guys alone. 

Exactly

No more rotating guys like Robinson, Victorino, Revere, Maybin, Young, etc. in the 3rd OF spot

Edited by Angel Oracle

8 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Im with Blarg. Buy a pitcher, dont trade. For all I know, adell and marsh end up sucking, who knows. 

But we need position players almost as much as pitchers. Sure, we could snag a 3rd outfielder. And that, in theory, is easier than a one year number 5 SP.

But then again, whos the last good position guy we've acquired? Rendon? Then who else?

Our pitching has sucked for years. But quietly, so has our offense. The stop gap guys we keep cycling through have been bundyesque (see @Angelsjunky, i can do it too).

Id love to see the castillo trade.... but the cost is going to suck. We have more money than depth, and a farm

I think most agree to buy a guy like Stroman and hold on to the OFers.  That’s a party.

But if he signs elsewhere, what do you do?

If that happens then we kinda have to decide. . .are you more comfortable with a big question mark in the OF or a big question mark in the rotation?

There is no right answer.  I personally just can’t stomach another year of not having a top half of a starting rotation.

I feel like if the team was firing on all cylinders in terms of having horses on the mound, but had a glaring need for a decent OF, that is a much easier trade to make than trying to solve a hole in the rotation.

8 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Get Taylor, and add a few more bullpen arms.   Ryan Tepera seems like a great add.  Get Matthew Boyd and use him as a long reliever. 

Taylor would be the main guy I'd target now.  What's great about Taylor is he can be our primary SS, but if Rengifo somehow surprises and looks good at SS, we can pivot Taylor into LF (if Adell struggles or Upton looks like Upton) or wherever.  His versatility (SS, 2B, 3B, CF, LF) is absolutely huge.

Lineup:  Taylor SS, Ohtani DH, Trout LF, Rendon 3B, Walsh 1B, Adell RF, Marsh CF, Stassi C, Fletcher 2B.

Bench would then be whatever backup catcher we have, IF Wade, either Rengifo or Mayfield, and Upton.

I'd be good with that.

11 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Exactly

No more rotating guys like Robinson, Victorino, Revere, Maybin, Young, etc. in the 3rd OF spot

I hated that rotation too.

But you know what I hated even more?  Rotating a volume of #4/5/6 starters through the vast majority of starts over the last couple of years.

Emotionally as a fan, I am specifically thirsting for being excited about who is starting on the mound tonight.

As objectively as possible I also think if you get to the playoffs, I want to have a roster that features high end starters with the view that this gives the team a better chance at advancing through series.

But to repeat, sign Stroman and keep the OFers and make everyone (well almost everyone) happy.

I have somewhat ignored the expiration of the CBA and just accepted that there will be a negotiation to get a new deal in place.

But now that it is upon us, what is the feeling about how long the negotiation could take place?

Do we really believe it could be unresolved and threaten the upcoming season?

I hope the sides are not dumb enough to have the actual games affected.

19 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I have somewhat ignored the expiration of the CBA and just accepted that there will be a negotiation to get a new deal in place.

But now that it is upon us, what is the feeling about how long the negotiation could take place?

Do we really believe it could be unresolved and threaten the upcoming season?

I hope the sides are not dumb enough to have the actual games affected.

I am guessing the lockout will continue until at least February.  Likely no traction will occur until games start getting threatened.