• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Grading Minasian's First Trade Deadline

How would you grade his first deadline?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Perry Minasian's Deadline Grade

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

i'm at the point where i just plain and simple dislike arte as an owner. he keeps a business buddy as the head of the franchise, but not a baseball man. he spends the money, but he spends it foolishly and he doesn't invest in the system or it's infrastructure.

mix in his personal "attributes" and i'm pretty much over supporting anything moreno.

2 hours ago, Torridd said:

The Angels haven't been to the playoffs since 2014. I think the main reason for that is they haven't focused on increasing the pitching enough. How would making the Angels all-out sellers help the team so much more? Maybe we can keep Cobb and Iglesias in '22 and get healthy for once. If we're not healthy, it won't matter if we're selling or buying. 

The Angels being stuck in no man’s land since 2014 has been the problem. Rinse repeat. 

5 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

All Angels GM's are pretty much just a mouthpiece for Arte. Of course Arte said to not trade Cobb and both Inlesaisaisias. This is the same thing every year. Why do people here continue to think it's going to change?

Of course this is on more than just your own speculation.  

I give a C.

Heaney return was about what we could hope for.

I am suprised we got that much for Watson.

Cobb injury maybe the reason why he wasn't traded so I give him a pass.

However, the "we can still get the WC was a pipe dream".  Once they knew Trout was not coming back for any significant time they should have put up the for sell sign.

Iglesias should have been traded. In fact Cobb should have been traded before his last outing.

6 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Maybe @Jeff Fletcher could ask him if he was instructed not to trade Cobb and Iglesias.

He would never say that publicly if that were the case. 

I did ask him why he didn’t trade those guys and he just basically said they don’t want to give up on the season.

I assume they would have given up if anyone had offered something they couldn’t refuse though. 

it seems like they got overpays on both Watson and Heaney so maybe he wanted an overpay for any deal. 

He traded an Enigma in Heaney and a Loogie in Watson for 5 arms, got his Top Draft pick starting Sunday in Detmers and brought in another Loogie...

C+/ maybe a B- depending on Detmers starts!

Should had moved more! I know why he didn't.... So, I understand the overall outcome!

Now DFA Quintana and Bundy, re-sign Raisel and Cobb and get the kids some starts and innings in and let's see about 22...

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He would never say that publicly if that were the case. 

I did ask him why he didn’t trade those guys and he just basically said they don’t want to give up on the season.

I assume they would have given up if anyone had offered something they couldn’t refuse though. 

it seems like they got overpays on both Watson and Heaney so maybe he wanted an overpay for any deal. 

I believe this is probably the most true although I still don't like it.  

Go ahead and accept a trade if you can get more than what you'd expect.  

So I think he did pretty well ie a B for what he was allowed to do.  

And I agree.  He's gonna tow the company line.  

But we all know that Minasian and his crew know the math here.  He knows they're betting on a long shot.  So it's either that he wasn't allowed or he's already looking over his shoulder and hoping for a miracle so he doesn't get called into the principal's office.  Whatever the reason though, even a fair return would have been enough to move other parts.  Parts that should have gotten a better return than the ones he did sell.  

BTW, if Minasian felt the team really had a chance to remain competitive and make the playoffs he would have kept Heaney and Watson.   Lesser players went in trade than our two biggest assets and the returns seemed fair.  Especially considering that in two months, they're worth nothing.  Not even a draft pick.  

I gave him a "C" because I don't hate (I actually like), the moves he did make but I think he gets an F for not moving Iglesias....

The lone positive in not selling off completely is at least he didn't piss off/alienate the clubhouse.  Players may get it when a team does it, but I'm sure they hate seeing the white flag go up.

If they extend Iglesias before reaching FA it will be less "meh".

The lack of creativity shown is very concerning. When you have a team mired in mediocrity, you HAVE to be willing to make some bold moves to try to move the needle forward. We’re just going in circles

I think a lot of this is Arte though. Felt like Eppler was limited too. Even Dipoto has a better track record in Seattle than he did here

28 minutes ago, Blarg said:

What bold move would you suggest and what is the payoff? 

I would have traded both Iglesias' for sure. The payoff is a couple more prospects (one potentially very good one). That's the move you have to make when you're 6.5 GB in August...you would think

If they don't re-sign Raisel it's a complete failure...maybe they will...maybe they won't

So we hung onto him for a maybe

31 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I would have traded both Iglesias' for sure. The payoff is a couple more prospects (one potentially very good one). That's the move you have to make when you're 6.5 GB in August...you would think

If they don't re-sign Raisel it's a complete failure...maybe they will...maybe they won't

So we hung onto him for a maybe

I seriously doubt anyone inquired about Jose Iglesias. No way a contender is looking at adding horrible defense and a marginal bat at the SS position 

I said yesterday that with it feeling like such a sellers market I would have sold virtually everything.  I would have kept Trout, Ohtani and Detmers but pretty much everybody else I would listen on.  I would have listened on Fletcher or Sandoval.  Obviously the return would have to make it worth it, but when 1.3 seasons of Berrios gets you two top 100 guys, you gotta at least listen.  If someone wanted to make an offer on Walsh, I’m listening.  Certainly I’m not giving them away but I’m looking for deals I can’t refuse. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

I seriously doubt anyone inquired about Jose Iglesias. No way a contender is looking at adding horrible defense and a marginal bat at the SS position 

He’s not a horrible defensive SS. He’s made some errors, they all do. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

He’s not a horrible defensive SS. He’s made some errors, they all do. 

13 errors and a .958 fielding percentage isn’t really good either. My point is that he doesn’t make a contender better. 

Just now, Stradling said:

He would be a valuable insurance policy and utility guy for a contender. 

If they view him as insurance then they won’t pay very much for him. I guess it would have been fine to take whatever you could get for him but I guess we’ll never know what the interest level was