• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Grading Minasian's First Trade Deadline

How would you grade his first deadline?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Perry Minasian's Deadline Grade

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

3 minutes ago, mmc said:

Hard to say really because I have no idea if keeping Iglesias and Cobb was his decision or Arte’s.  C if it was his, he did well in the moves he did make but keeping them was a mistake.  B otherwise, nothing sexy but he got decent value

Maybe @Jeff Fletcher could ask him if he was instructed not to trade Cobb and Iglesias.

Personally, he gets a "C" as my one jerk reaction. 

The good: He got a bigger return from both Heaney and Watson than I thought. He got a legitimate backend starter it seems in Junk who is in AA, and a big bodied hard throwing reliever in Peguero, also in AA. Watson's return want quite at that level, but s couple lotto tickets and depth arm is more than you can ask for. 

The bad: The Cubs got Nick Madrigal and then some for their elite reliever. That's amazing. If Raisel Iglesias could garner such a return, then it was foolish not to trade him.

The meh: I would've kept Cobb because he really does have a positive effect on the young starters and wouldn't mind seeing an extension. I would've kept Jose Iglesias too, because I'd like to see them re-upped to play SS. However, because they haven't signed extensions yet, this is still a risk.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Maybe @Jeff Fletcher could ask him if he was instructed not to trade Cobb and Iglesias.

All Angels GM's are pretty much just a mouthpiece for Arte. Of course Arte said to not trade Cobb and both Inlesaisaisias. This is the same thing every year. Why do people here continue to think it's going to change?

F. He may have done a nice job with the Heaney and Watson trades, but ultimately they don't move the needle. He had a chance to get a potential impact prospect for less than half a season of Iglesias and didn't do it. Instead they'll still miss the playoffs, but likely win a few more games than they would without Iglesias thereby lowering their draft position as well. Angels have perfected the art of mediocrity.

D alright C- because we're not privy to what's really going on within the organization.

It was underwhelming to say the least.

I hope a few of these arms he acquired work out.

I just expect a little more creativity or "balls" from a GM...I had the same opinion of Eppler....

This trade deadline has really got me suspicious of Arte.

2 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Unfortunately, that's the mentality that has kept the Angels from the postseason. It's short-sighted.

The Angels haven't been to the playoffs since 2014. I think the main reason for that is they haven't focused on increasing the pitching enough. How would making the Angels all-out sellers help the team so much more? Maybe we can keep Cobb and Iglesias in '22 and get healthy for once. If we're not healthy, it won't matter if we're selling or buying. 

why can't people understand that an expiring contract has no value for 2022? we're not going to the playoffs in 2021. their contracts expire at the end of this season. sell them, get the better prospects that your few desirable players can bring you, then resign the motherfuckers in the offseason if you want them back. players go to who offers them the most money, keeping them for the rest of 2021 doesn't change that. there is rarely a hometown discount.

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Given the results, I guess that's how you know Minasian did the right thing. No one loves what he did, but no one also hates what he did and is calling for him to be fired. 

Everyone is just kind of meh. 

And that's compromise.

It’s not big brained to “compromise” on an obvious need or course of action.  He should have sold off.  He didn’t use his most valuable chip.  Very sad. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

46 minutes ago, Torridd said:

The Angels haven't been to the playoffs since 2014. I think the main reason for that is they haven't focused on increasing the pitching enough. How would making the Angels all-out sellers help the team so much more? Maybe we can keep Cobb and Iglesias in '22 and get healthy for once. If we're not healthy, it won't matter if we're selling or buying. 

All out sellers? Lol

Trading Cobb and/or Iglesias, who are free agents at the end of this season is not going all out. It's selling the pieces that will likely be gone anyways. They could have traded for really good pitching prospects instead of "roll-the-dice" type prospects that they got in the trades they made.  That would be focusing on pitching. 

It isn't being healthy that's the issue. Every team deals with pitching injuries every year. It's about building your farm so you have cost controlled pitching depth. Part of that is done through the draft and good teams also increase that depth by trading rentals like Cobb and Iglesias when they have a long shot of making they playoffs like the Angels this season. 

11 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Given the results, I guess that's how you know Minasian did the right thing. No one loves what he did, but no one also hates what he did and is calling for him to be fired. 

Everyone is just kind of meh. 

And that's compromise.

I don't hate what he did. I hate what he didn't do.

58 minutes ago, Revad said:

Minasian is making judgements as he should.  No reason to doubt him plus he hasn’t quit yet.

Having a vastly negative run differential is a reason to doubt. Not being a true seller when your team has been terrible against over .500 teams is reason to doubt. Building the terrible bullpen he built is reason to doubt. 

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

I was tempted to give a B, but not trading Raisel or Cobb is a missed opportunity to add a couple good prospects. But he gets a C, because he got something--even if fringy prospects--for basically nothing (beyond this year), and he didn't trade away any prospects. 

C+, really.

Edited by Angelsjunky