• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cleveland Indians new name is "Guardians"

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

Fans of the team with the hands-down, worst, most bastardized, red-headed stepchild name in North America are complaining about the Indian's new logo.  You can't make this crap up.

For a dude who likes to complain a ton you sure do like to call people out for complaining.  

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

Fans of the team with the hands-down, worst, most bastardized, red-headed stepchild name in North America are complaining about the Indian's new logo.  You can't make this crap up.

Also can you share the link from UtahJazzWins where the fans are complaining 

14 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Agree with this.  Ultimately I really don’t care what they call their team, but it is hard to not notice how meaningless this exercise was.  I laugh at the vision of people hugging and high fiving each other thinking this is some grand accomplishment that did something valuable and meaningful in life.

Now let’s start a rumor that the owners were willing to change the name but were hellbent on keeping the exact same tone of red to continue to hurtfully mock Native Americans, then pop some popcorn and watch all the insatiable indignaholics start a campaign to demand that the red color be banned.

Incredible post. 

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea because we all loved our name change.  

I liked Los Angeles Angels, just not the “of Anaheim” (stupid), the original name in 1961.

I personally liked California Angels the best though.   It’s what the name was when first becoming a fan in 1966.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I don't really care about the name one way or the other (I grew up a Braves fan with "Chief Noc-a-homa" and a teepee in the outfield stands, so I think I'm a little jaded), but for what it's worth, the Cleveland team was named the Indians in large part because of Lou Sockalexis, who played for the Cleveland team in the late 1890s (which technically is not the same team that exists today).  He was an Indian/Native American. Here's a bio of him, if anyone cares:

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/louis-sockalexis/

I went through most of the MLB team names in my head, and there were only a few that I thought were actually clever or cool: the Diamondbacks, the Rockies, and the Nationals.

All the others are named after generic animals* or something specific to their home city (or previous home city).

*Diamondbacks is cool because it has a double meaning.

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I went through most of the MLB team names in my head, and there were only a few that I thought were actually clever or cool: the Diamondbacks, the Rockies, and the Nationals.

All the others are named after generic animals* or something specific to their home city (or previous home city).

*Diamondbacks is cool because it has a double meaning.

I thought when Colorado was going to be a new team that they should consider the name “White Caps.”

The obvious reference to local mountains made sense, and the name sort of fit a team name style/format that already existed in mlb with Red Sox and White Sox.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The old joke about Washington was so great.  The joke was the Washington Bullets felt the team’s name was just too violent.

So they changed the name to just “The Bullets.”

That’s an ageless classic for me.

Can't believe that's the first time hearing that joke.