• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cleveland Indians new name is "Guardians"

12 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Why did they make the decision to change the name?

Because of political pressure from activist groups

6 minutes ago, St1ck said:

Business decision 

Yes and yes.  It all starts with politically correct complaining from activist groups.  However, this causes sponsers to stop supporting the team so they aren’t associated with anything perceived to be offensive.  That is the business decision. So they are both correct. 

Just now, stormngt said:

And you know they are white?  And why incorporate all white people in your assessment?

My ancestors were from Asia

It's not all white people, of course. Or just white people. But it's mostly white people.

12 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Because of political pressure.  They weren't losing money.  In fact they may lose money because of their decision.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if this pays off for them. 

1 minute ago, St1ck said:

I guess we'll have to wait and see if this pays off for them. 

My bold prediction: they won't lose any money, and will actually gain a ton of money on fans buying the new merchandise. A small, vocal minority will "boycott" while the remaining 95% will shrug and continue attending games and supporting the team.

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Why does it upset you so much?

I never once complained about the name change.  Doesn't bother me at all.  Cancel culture and political correctness bothers me.  

I don't  understand how naming a sports team after a group of people is insulting. The sports team us supposed to be a sense of pride and symbolizes determination and pursuit of excellence.  It shouldn't be insulting at all.

Chief Wahoo on the other hand should be viewed as insulting.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

My bold prediction: they won't lose any money, and will actually gain a ton of money on fans buying the new merchandise. A small, vocal minority will "boycott" while the remaining 95% will shrug and continue attending games and supporting the team.

95% may shrug.  They may laugh at the name.  At the end they won't care.

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

I never once complained about the name change.  Doesn't bother me at all.  Cancel culture and political correctness bothers me.  

I don't  understand how naming a sports team after a group of people is insulting. The sports team us supposed to be a sense of pride and symbolizes determination and pursuit of excellence.  It shouldn't be insulting at all.

Chief Wahoo on the other hand should be viewed as insulting.

Are you a member of a people group whose had a team named after then?

Just now, Taylor said:

Are you a member of a people group whose had a team named after then?

Actually no.  But if the Fresno minor league team changed their name to the Fresno rug merchants I really wouldnt give a shit about it.

My wife is Irish,  and her father is a proud alumnus of Notre Dame.  I do not see people insulted by being called Buccaneers or Pirates.  I don't see white people pissed off with the name "cowboys".  Maybe because a large population of cowboys were not white.