• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels extend or trade Raisel Iglesias at the trade deadline?

Should the Angels extend or trade Raisel Iglesias at the trade deadline?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want them to do?

• Extend him
    • Trade him

AP21156151436699.jpeg

I am a little torn on this one. Iglesias is one of the few (if not only) valuable pieces to our bullpen. He also might be one of our only valuable trade chips if the team continues to fall further behind in the playoff race. Do we take a chance, trade him and try again to look for a closer via another trade or free agency? Or do we lock him up for the foreseeable future?

I’d say extend for two years if possible, but that extension ideally needs to happen before the deadline, be cost reasonable as compared to the cost of starting pitching.  Overall there isn’t much there in the bullpen and having a closer would make the off-season easier.

Angels figure to have 40-50 million to spend next winter and will need three starting pitchers, and almost an entirely new bullpen.  

Re-upping Raisel Iglesias will likely cost around 15 million, which severely eats into their budget.  And when you look at the Rays bullpen, Castillo, Fairbanks, Wisler, etc... you should be able to build a solid pen for cheap. Look at the Cubs, with Chafin and Tepera. Look how effective Hansel Robles has been for the Twins. So many examples. 

Good RP don't have to cost much money at all, you just need to be able to identify them, and one thing we lost out on when firing Eppler was his uncanny ability to find good RP for cheap. 

Furthermore, a closer like Raisel Iglesias brings in a huge bounty at the deadline, and can really help the farm and the major league team in 2022 and beyond.  And if they really wanted to keep Iglesias, they could always open the wallet in FA to try and bring him back. 

The Angels should be trading Iglesias. Hopefully for a pretty decent SP prospect in Advanced A Ball. Someone a year behind Detmers and Rodriguez but a year or two ahead of Kochaniwicz. 

Start rebuilding the rotation with one good prospect one year at a time.  

Edited by Second Base

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Trade him easily, when's the last time a reliver had consecutive good seasons as an Angel?

Although I can agree with trading him. Are you saying the play from now on is to only have relievers for no longer than a season because relievers don't have consecutive good years on the Angels?

3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

If it were me, id trade him for the best guy you could get. Then send over the SS iglesias and play dumb, like thats who you meant the whole time.

We need a "Genious" like button. @Chuckster70? It could be Einstein, although that would imply that it was actually meant as a complement.

31 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Although I can agree with trading him. Are you saying the play from now on is to only have relievers for no longer than a season because relievers don't have consecutive good years on the Angels?

Any reliever who has a breakout on this team that isn't young should be sold high on at the deadline or the offseason, unless we're coming off a playoff run, yes.

5 minutes ago, mmc said:

Any reliever who has a breakout on this team that isn't young should be sold high on at the deadline or the offseason, unless we're coming off a playoff run, yes.

Raisel isn't having a breakout on this team though and your reply has nothing to do with my question lol

1 minute ago, rafibomb said:

Raisel isn't having a breakout on this team though and your reply has nothing to do with my question lol

I should have phrased it as any reliever who is not young and is having a good enough season to where teams are willing to offer actual assets to trade for them should be sold high on.  As far as whether we should keep relievers around for more than one year, for depth guys that other team's aren't lining up to trade for, keep them around as long as you want, but my point is what we should not do is forego any opportunity we have to sell high on any reliever unless they are young enough to be with the team long term.  Basically if they are someone who you would move on from if they were to struggle the season after they do well (see Robles, 2019-20), I would sell high, however if they are young enough to where if they struggle you'd keep them in the organization anyways (Buttrey 2020 before he elected to retire), I'd keep them.  

i said it before in another thread. i'd trade him regardless of the angels being over 500. i don't see him as any kind of answer at closer, and i don't like him as a setup guy either. he throws so many two strike meatballs i can't get over it.