• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Per his Instagram, Ty Buttrey is retiring from the game of baseball

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Nah, I'm not bothered by it.  I just don't understand why you and some others are taking such an ardent stance on this and why you keep insulting and belittling other people. 

You didn't really address anything that I said in the post you quoted,  but at this point, it seems like you're just in this to attempt to rile people up. 

I don't wear a badge or name tag, by the way. 

My Grandmother once told me not to waste my time trying to teach pigs to sing, because it only annoys the pigs.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Typical lack of accountability you'd expect from a millennial.

And somewhere there's a boomer who is face-palming because his entitled son is walking away from a professional baseball career.

My guess is you voted for a certain someone who has failed to take accountability for their actions all their life but won’t call said person out for it.  Typical.

Just now, cals said:

Like Lou said, you and some others are making this guy out to be sort of hero to the “job hating 9-5’er.”  He’s not. He’s a quitter.  He released that self-serving (and immature) statement to cover his ass and you guys bought it.  I also don’t give a shit about Buttrey.  I am somewhat fascinated by the defense of him by some and what the motivation for that is.  At this point I think it’s pretty clear it’s generational.  That’s fine.  You all will grow up and see this for what it truly is someday.  

1. I specifically said I don't think he's a hero. 

2. I've said repeatedly what my motivation is for simply accepting what he said: because there's nothing wrong with it and people should be able to make a decision about their career for whatever reason they want to.  Also, as I've said, I've left behind a job that most people in my business would covet because it was the best thing for me at the time. So I get it. 

3. I'm 46, so unless you're like 60, I don't think it's a generation gap that's causing the difference in our opinions. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Typical lack of accountability you'd expect from a millennial.

And somewhere there's a boomer who is face-palming because his entitled son is walking away from a professional baseball career.

There's one thing that the millennials you can't stand have in common. They were raised by boomers (or early Gen Xers). 

It's easy to blame the younger generations for the world's problems. It demonstrates a complete lack of accountability, but it's easier than taking stock for your own generation's shortcomings.

A lot of millennials suck and are entitled, selfie-taking wannabe narcissists. But one thing we get right is that we don't tend to make our identity about our career.

Some of the same people calling Buttrey a "quitter" were in the Simmons thread calling people out for calling Simmons a quitter.

For all we know this is a similar situation. The douchebag part of me hopes it is so you assholes look like complete c*nts. 

4 minutes ago, Taylor said:

But one thing we get right is that we don't tend to make our identity about our career.

I actually think this is a key point, and it's what I was alluding to earlier in the thread when I said it was almost like certain people here were afraid of something.  I'm sure no one will admit it, but I do think there's a segment of the population who has invested so heavily in the belief that a career shapes and defines who you are and how "successful" you are that they lash out against anyone who doesn't subscribe to that way of thinking because it could crumble their carefully created world-view.

this is the worst thread on AW in some time. a guy retires from baseball and you guys project all your textbook narcissism at it. pretty poor showing, imo. you can't even make an argument that this is baseball and that's what we talk about here. it's a guy not playing baseball. people want different things. people do things for different reasons. debating the validity of his reasons for an action that has no impact on your life at all is a sad testament.

27 minutes ago, cals said:

Like Lou said, you and some others are making this guy out to be sort of hero to the “job hating 9-5’er.”  He’s not. He’s a quitter.  He released that self-serving (and immature) statement to cover his ass and you guys bought it.  I also don’t give a shit about Buttrey.  I am somewhat fascinated by the defense of him by some and what the motivation for that is.  At this point I think it’s pretty clear it’s generational.  That’s fine.  You all will grow up and see this for what it truly is someday.  

It isn’t generational.  You have been an asshole this entire thread.  Being an asshole isn’t generational.  

11 minutes ago, cals said:

Listen, it’s possible I’m wrong.  My opinion is mostly based on timing and his weird statement.  But obviously I could be wrong.  I just don’t think I am.

I mean this is all I wanted to read from you.

Other than what you're feeding me for Easter.

42 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I actually think this is a key point, and it's what I was alluding to earlier in the thread when I said it was almost like certain people here were afraid of something.  I'm sure no one will admit it, but I do think there's a segment of the population who has invested so heavily in the belief that a career shapes and defines who you are and how "successful" you are that they lash out against anyone who doesn't subscribe to that way of thinking because it could crumble their carefully created world-view.

This. I was trying to get at this as well.

I would add that it is a very definition of "success," which is variable depending upon the person.

Cals is now bagging on badge-wearing folks, but some of them are working class folks that not only support his lifestyle, but might take pride in what they do and have a lifestyle they enjoy as best they can.

1 hour ago, cals said:

And by badges, I of course mean name tags.

Umm, Airline pilots wear name tags. So do Generals and Admirals and Chiefs of Police. Astronauts have them. Judges have big ones on their desks. Pretty sure elite sportspeople wear their names on their uniforms too. Unless you're a Mexican bandit that doesn't need any stinking badges, they seem like a pretty good thing to me.

18 hours ago, Stradling said:

I’ve said it on here before, but this is a good thread to say it again, I guess. If I was capable of being a Major League Baseball player, I would not leave my current job to go make league minimum.  I wouldn’t leave my family for 6 months of the year for $550k.  Now if I was broke and didn’t make a good living, sure, because at some point you have to provide.  But, no, I wouldn’t give up what I have to go do that job, if I had the skillset.  

That's not really a fair comparison since you've already put in decades of time getting to the point you're at now. A more apt comparison would be turning down the $550k MLB job to start at the bottom at In N Out.

3 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Umm, Airline pilots wear name tags. So do Generals and Admirals and Chiefs of Police. Astronauts have them. Judges have big ones on their desks. Pretty sure elite sportspeople wear their names on their uniforms too. Unless you're a Mexican bandit that doesn't need any stinking badges, they seem like a pretty good thing to me.

All this, but also so does the person at Chipotle and they're making you're food, so be nice to them and respect the fact that--for whatever reasons, none of which are our business--they're working at Chipotle and doing something that benefits those that eat at Chipotle.

The derision for working class and poor people, from one member of this board at least, is just ugly.

1 minute ago, cals said:

I think it’s pretty clear that if you’re wearing a name tag or badge at work, your life didn’t go the way you thought it would.  Obviously there are exceptions.

Most companies have security badges. 

5 minutes ago, cals said:

When I show up to work, people know who I am without a reminder.  That’s the definition of success.

People know me when I show up. That's when they usually start walking the other direction or pretend to be on their cellphone. Sometimes it's the old look at the watch and come to a sudden realization they are late for something. 

20 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Or anyone in healthcare - neurosurgeons, CEOs of hospitals, etc, all of whom would likely be considered rather "successful" in terms of their education, degrees, net worth, etc - whatever measure one ascribes to "professionally successful."

17 minutes ago, cals said:

I think it’s pretty clear that if you’re wearing a name tag or badge at work, your life didn’t go the way you thought it would.  Obviously there are exceptions.

Do you not know what a medical id badge is?

My primary md has one.