• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Per his Instagram, Ty Buttrey is retiring from the game of baseball

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Neither Maddon or Buttrey tweeted anything.

Buttrey left a typed up message on his Instagram and Fabian or whomever quoted Maddon on Twitter.

That's also a dumb argument.

Same thing, Defender of Twitter. 

Just now, totdprods said:

Maybe he was doubting himself throughout spring and not making the team was the nail in the coffin. Doesn’t have to be a reaction to not making the team. Could have just been the acceptance he was done.

But he didn't quit because he doubted himself, he quit because he never enjoyed playing baseball.

Oh, and after pocketing a cool couple million dollars.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, we just don't know - not enough info to go on. So why assume the worst (as some are doing)?

He could be burnt out and needs to rekindle his passion for baseball. Maybe working as a floor manager at Home Depot will do that.

Or it could be, as I said, there's more to the story and he wants to pursue something else.

I'm not assuming the worst of anything.  I don't really care.  I just think it's ironic that the reason he's quitting is the exact opposite of why you'd put out a public statement detailing that and then do a mic drop.  I don't give two craps about what he's gonna do now other than I hope he enjoys it.  But he obviously still cares that people who don't know him try to understand him.  He wants other to get where's he's coming from and based on what he said, he shouldn't care if he truly figured out that that was the problem.  It's just inconsistent in my mind.  And short sighted.  

Guys have left the game before.  Have at it.  Go for it.  Did you ever consider that it's actually offensive to someone who busts their ass working a shit job or two or three to makes ends meets for some guy with the talent to be a major league baseball player walks away and makes a statement like he did?

Of course people are going to personalize this.  For all the reasons stated that we shouldn't judge him and that some are narrow minded for projecting, there are also reasons why we shouldn't judge the person who views him walking away as the wrong move.  

I'm not here to judge Buttrey or the guy/gal that disagrees or agrees with what he did.  

Only the people that disagree with me about actual baseball.   

3 hours ago, halomatt said:

Question:  How many of you are truly happy at whatever career you have chosen?  (As in, "I can't wait to get to work and see what's happening there!" type career. )

There have been articles that state 70% of people hate their jobs. I have no idea how accurate that is but I have to think it's true since so much is made about the weekend and TGIF and more and more places having 3-4 day work weeks etc. I still think it's comical that so many people(mostly women) ask what do you do like right away when you first meet. Hey, let's talk about something you most likely hate. I applaud Ty for doing what he felt was right. Gil Meche I think it was retired with like 10 million left on his contract or something like that. Oh and players don't need to tell us why they made the decision they did. Personal reasons is enough.

11 minutes ago, Lou said:

I care about the success of the Angels. One thing I don't care about is Buttrey's future happiness.

I'd care if his happiness was in direct conflict with the success of the Angels or my own or that of several others (except lou).  Otherwise, I hope he's happy.  I can hope for his happiness in about a second.  There I just did it.  Now I don't really care anymore.  

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm not assuming the worst of anything.  I don't really care.  I just think it's ironic that the reason he's quitting is the exact opposite of why you'd put out a public statement detailing that and then do a mic drop.  I don't give two craps about what he's gonna do now other than I hope he enjoys it.  But he obviously still cares that people who don't know him try to understand him.  He wants other to get where's he's coming from and based on what he said, he shouldn't care if he truly figured out that that was the problem.  It's just inconsistent in my mind.  And short sighted.  

Guys have left the game before.  Have at it.  Go for it.  Did you ever consider that it's actually offensive to someone who busts their ass working a shit job or two or three to makes ends meets for some guy with the talent to be a major league baseball player walks away and makes a statement like he did?

Of course people are going to personalize this.  For all the reasons stated that we shouldn't judge him and that some are narrow minded for projecting, there are also reasons why we shouldn't judge the person who views him walking away as the wrong move.  

I'm not here to judge Buttrey or the guy/gal that disagrees or agrees with what he did.  

Only the people that disagree with me about actual baseball.   

I know you're not, although some are, or at least viewing what he's doing in a very negative light and assuming that he is lying and/or deluded.

He could be, but why assume?

He could come back in a year or two after rediscovering that he loves baseball and lost sight of it, or that he couldn't make it in the corporate world or didn't like selling oranges. 

Or maybe there's more going on - a personal or medical issue that he doesn't want to share.

Or maybe he has a secret passion for lepidopterology and he finally has come around to accepting and realizing that, and wants to go for it.

But what do we actually know? All we have to go on is what he has said, what Maddon has said. My issue is not with people thinking that he's making a mistake, it is that people are doing so through either assuming he's lying or because they believe that it is silly to follow your passion (Buttrey's words).

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

To this guy with kids, I literally told my oldest son that people do others a disservice telling them to find work they love.  

Okay. But would you rather they be happy or be financially successful?

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

I know you're not, although some are, or at least viewing what he's doing in a very negative light and assuming that he is lying and/or deluded.

He could be, but why assume?

He could come back in a year or two after rediscovering that he loves baseball and lost sight of it, or that he couldn't make it in the corporate world or didn't like selling oranges. 

Or maybe there's more going on - a personal or medical issue that he doesn't want to share.

Or maybe he has a secret passion for lepidopterology and he finally has come around to accepting and realizing that, and wants to go for it.

But what do we actually know? All we have to go on is what he has said, what Maddon has said. My issue is not with people thinking that he's making a mistake, it is that people are doing so through either assuming he's lying or because they believe that it is silly to follow your passion (Buttrey's words).

If he wasn't prepared for assumptions, then why put out a public statement?

I'm quite sure there's more going on.  But he chose his own words to give others what he wanted.  We know what he said.  He made a public statement and that was his choice.  I'm not assuming anything other than what he said (others might be) but if he's so intent on not being concerned about what other think, why make a public statement?

What's his passion btw?  He's made zero reference to that.  Who care actually but he's just indicated that baseball isn't.  Is anyone questioning Ian Desmond's decision?  Maybe some tools on social media.  

I don't know the detail and again, I really don't care, but based on the situation, I think it's totally fair to question his motivation and timing.