• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Per his Instagram, Ty Buttrey is retiring from the game of baseball

I’ve said it on here before, but this is a good thread to say it again, I guess. If I was capable of being a Major League Baseball player, I would not leave my current job to go make league minimum.  I wouldn’t leave my family for 6 months of the year for $550k.  Now if I was broke and didn’t make a good living, sure, because at some point you have to provide.  But, no, I wouldn’t give up what I have to go do that job, if I had the skillset.  

Just now, eligrba said:

I don't understand why people care about the reasons for Buttrey leaving.  Buttrey leaving creates an opening for someone else who will probably appreciate the opportunity. 

Exactly.  There are a lot of players whose dream is to make the MLB and play well.  I wish Buttrey all the best, and on the bright side, it creates another opportunity for someone who (hopefully) really wants it.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’ve said it on here before, but this is a good thread to say it again, I guess. If I was capable of being a Major League Baseball player, I would not leave my current job to go make league minimum.  I wouldn’t leave my family for 6 months of the year for $550k.  Now if I was broke and didn’t make a good living, sure, because at some point you have to provide.  But, no, I wouldn’t give up what I have to go do that job, if I had the skillset.  

This. Not many people are given the ability to do this. We’re talking skill set to provide generational wealth for his family. Obviously this wasn’t an easy decision for him and hopefully his mental health isn’t in question here...but he better have 1 hell of a backup plan.

1 minute ago, cals said:

I'm guessing Buttrey isn't the C- student you have to be to become a chiropractor. 

So it seems. He’s going to have a tough time finding a decent career without a degree. Wonder what he’s planning on doing, because this move seems impulsive to me.

Just now, failos said:

So it seems. He’s going to have a tough time finding a decent career without a degree. Wonder what he’s planning on doing, because this move seems impulsive to me.

I'm guessing being a HS coach is out. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Does anyone seriously think he would have quit baseball if he had made the Opening Day roster? 

I have no idea.  It is entirely possible he shared his thoughts of retiring before he got sent down.  He was sent down and they gave him time to make sure this is what he really wanted.  Do I think that is what happened?  Well it is just as plausible as him quitting over not making the team.

Just now, Stradling said:

I have no idea.  It is entirely possible he shared his thoughts of retiring before he got sent down.  He was sent down and they gave him time to make sure this is what he really wanted.  Do I think that is what happened?  Well it is just as plausible as him quitting over not making the team.

I don't think it is. 

3 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I don't understand why people care about the reasons for Buttrey leaving.  Buttrey leaving creates an opening for someone else who will probably appreciate the opportunity. 

This is pretty much where I come down on the situation, too. Baffles me to see some of the responses in this thread.  People make career and life decisions for all sorts of reasons, and just because you don't understand it or wouldn't have done the same thing doesn't mean it wasn't the right move for that person at that time.  

Speaking from personal experience, about 2 years ago, I left a job that most in my field would see as among the most desirable. I was paid very well, had a good bonus, great benefits, access to high-profile movie and TV projects, etc. But I was burned out, wasn't finding joy in it on a day-to-day basis, the stress of it was affecting my health,  and I realized it was time for me to walk away. Some people told me I was crazy for doing so.  They said I'd worked my whole career to get to that point.  

But you know what? 2 years later, I'm in better health (physically and mentally) and I'm much happier,  even though I'm making a fraction of what I made before.  It was absolutely the right decision for ME and those in my life, even if it wouldn't have been for someone else in my circumstances.  That's how I view the Buttrey situation. 

2 hours ago, cals said:

I’ll probably look like the asshole down the line but it doesn’t seem likely that he has something personal going on if he pitched all spring and only “walked away” once he was unexpectedly sent down.  Just saying.

Don't worry, you ARE the asshole.

2 hours ago, cals said:

Immature and dude probably has some underlying other issues.

See?

Just now, Taylor said:

Those of you with kids, would you rather your kids grow up to be financially successful or happy?

Obviously, both is great. But sometimes that isn't possible.

To this guy with kids, I literally told my oldest son that people do others a disservice telling them to find work they love.  

Just now, cals said:

When I said “underlying issues” I was trying to find a nice way to say he’s an idiot.

Why? Because he doesn't love baseball and has the balls to take a different path? We don't know how authentic his statement is, but assuming that is--and I see no reason not to accept it at face value--it makes perfect sense.

Speaking of education, remember your Homer. Achilles said that it is better to be a beggar in the land of the living than a king in the land of the dead. While there are different ways to interpret that, one would be: better to live a life that makes you feel alive (and happy) than to sell your soul for money doing something that you hate.

I want to raise kids who eventually stand on their own two feet. Doesn’t mean they have to be highly compensated but I also don’t want them to grow up to be like some people I’ve know most my life who are almost 40 and still living at home or financially supported by their parents. Obviously those are extreme cases but giving your kids too much or not pushing them to succeed or stand on their own two feet isn’t doing them any favors. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

To this guy with kids, I literally told my oldest son that people do others a disservice telling them to find work they love.  

That's just sad.

Not just because you're discouraging people from finding work they love, but the implication that making a decent living and doing work you love are mutually exclusive.