• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Per his Instagram, Ty Buttrey is retiring from the game of baseball

Just now, Lou said:

I can't wait until he announces that he's coming back.

It could happen. We just don't have enough information to go on. Does he have an alternate career in mind? Is there something he's really into that he wants to pursue?

Sometimes people lose sight of what they love about the path they've chosen - get lost in secondary factors, be it money, stress, etc. But then they re-discover the core of it, and are revived.

But again, we don't know enough to make an educated (ahem) judgment. We'd need to know more behind the scenes. And it could be that Buttrey just wants to be a normal guy, work an office job, and come home to his family. Or it could be that he's secretly a butterfly and moth nerd and wants to become a lepidopterologist.

Also anyone who says something along the lines of "I bet he'd feel differently if he made the team!" clearly didn't read his statement.  It very clearly start off with "I contacted the Angels and they asked me to give it some time to think about it.  Part of the process was to be optioned which I accepted."

Just now, Lou said:

Hmmm, what are the odds that I bump this thread? 

Except who would be surprised if he comes back? I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't. I'm just not assuming I know what the truth is because of how I see the world. It could be sour grapes or it could be that, crazily enough, he's being honest and just wants to live a different life. Baseball isn't for everyone.

Just now, mmc said:

Also anyone who says something along the lines of "I bet he'd feel differently if he made the team!" clearly didn't read his statement.  It very clearly start off with "I contacted the Angels and they asked me to give it some time to think about it.  Part of the process was to be optioned which I accepted."

Doesn't matter. 

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Yes, but people are allowed to change their job and pursue something that interests them while also making income.

Perhaps he was really unhappy with this and already has another job in mind.  

Perhaps he wants to be a Lion Tamer, with a hat that lights up and says Lion Tamer.

Edited by Slegnaac

9 minutes ago, cals said:

I’m going to “I told you so”the shit out of this place when that inevitably happens.  Of course AJ and Pritchett will celebrate how he has his passion back.

I won't change anything I've said in this thread if he comes back. If you read what I wrote in my initial post, I said that sometimes decisions like this are the right thing for a person at a given time, even if others don't understand it. In another year or 2, I might decide to go back to a job similar to the one I left. That doesn't mean that leaving the one I left 2 years ago was a wrong or bad decision. You have such a limited, black-or-white view of things.

Edited by jsnpritchett

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

It could happen. We just don't have enough information to go on. Does he have an alternate career in mind? Is there something he's really into that he wants to pursue?

Sometimes people lose sight of what they love about the path they've chosen - get lost in secondary factors, be it money, stress, etc. But then they re-discover the core of it, and are revived.

But again, we don't know enough to make an educated (ahem) judgment. We'd need to know more behind the scenes. And it could be that Buttrey just wants to be a normal guy, work an office job, and come home to his family. Or it could be that he's secretly a butterfly and moth nerd and wants to become a lepidopterologist.

I think his statement would have made more sense to me if this was included.  

The think I don't get out of all of it is that he doesn't want to live life motivating in regards to what other people think or how they judge him yet he puts out a public statement saying he's not going to do that anymore.  You have to admit.  There is irony there.  

1 minute ago, cals said:

Fine.  I think he threw a tantrum and quit when he didn’t make the team.  You guys think his statement isn’t self-serving and believe his version.  Fair enough.

Is he just by far the most immature player involved in professional baseball then, or is there some either reason we don't see multiple similar "tantrums" every single year?

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Except who would be surprised if he comes back? I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't. I'm just not assuming I know what the truth is because of how I see the world. It could be sour grapes or it could be that, crazily enough, he's being honest and just wants to live a different life. Baseball isn't for everyone.

Huh? Everyone would be shocked because he quit baseball and decided to do the honorable thing and move on to do something that makes him happy. 

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think his statement would have made more sense to me if this was included.  

The think I don't get out of all of it is that he doesn't want to live life motivating in regards to what other people think or how they judge him yet he puts out a public statement saying he's not going to do that anymore.  You have to admit.  There is irony there.  

Yeah, we just don't know - not enough info to go on. So why assume the worst (as some are doing)?

He could be burnt out and needs to rekindle his passion for baseball. Maybe working as a floor manager at Home Depot will do that.

Or it could be, as I said, there's more to the story and he wants to pursue something else.