• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Per his Instagram, Ty Buttrey is retiring from the game of baseball

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

That's just sad.

Not just because you're discouraging people from finding work they love, but the implication that making a decent living and doing work you love are mutually exclusive.

No, you are the one calling it mutually exclusive.  We have created an entire generation to think that they can’t be happy in life if they have a job that isn’t their passion.  

9 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Those of you with kids, would you rather your kids grow up to be financially successful or happy?

Obviously, both is great. But sometimes that isn't possible.

It's interesting that he never enjoyed playing baseball, yet waited to quit until after he banked a couple of million dollars.

Just now, Stradling said:

No, you are the one calling it mutually exclusive.  We have created an entire generation to think that they can’t be happy in life if they have a job that isn’t their passion.  

Um, no I'm not. 

But yeah, I agree with your last sentence. But the problem isn't people pursuing the passion, but not throwing themselves into it fully. 

Again, the two are not mutually exclusive: doing something you love and making enough to get by. 

1 minute ago, cals said:

If to the left of me is your parents basement, then yeah, I guess you are left of me.

Again, your "education" has led you to think that ad hominems make a good argument. You always resort to this - insulting people with made-up stories. Sad.

There's another option, cals: actually engaging in conversation and trying to understand what others think, outside of your myopic worldview.

1 minute ago, cals said:

This simply is not what was reported as recently as 6 hours ago.  Buttrey has re-written history in his statement and you numbskulls have fallen for it.

Just because there wasn't a full explanation a few hours ago doesn't mean the one that both Buttrey and his manager have now given isn't true.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Millennials.

Don't bother trying to figure them out.

This is funny and stupid. how about whoever raised the millennials. You know the people who shaped them and showed them how to be productive members of society? 

I fall under the millennial timeline but I own a house in so cal...maybe I got lucky going to college and working a job to pay for it because my parents couldn’t afford to.

1 minute ago, cals said:

I tried early on and most of you are too touchy feely or dense to understand you're being played.  Why try to use logic at this point?

Your MO: Share your view. If people disagree, insult them. Rinse and repeat.

I'm guessing the irony of you calling someone immature is lost on you.

Edited by Angelsjunky

I'm starting to think that some of you who are criticizing Buttrey or questioning his sincerity are actually afraid (for lack of a better term) of someone who doesn't conform to your view of success and what a career should be.  It's actually pretty fascinating to read.

Edited by jsnpritchett

15 minutes ago, Lou said:

It's interesting that he never enjoyed playing baseball, yet waited to quit until after he banked a couple of million dollars.

I'm gonna say that just shows he's not a total dolt.   If he had a dollar figure he wanted to reach before cashing in his chips -- fine.  Best wishes to him.

I really don't care one way or another what his reason for quitting is, I struggled to read his third person commentary about why he was quitting because well, I roll my eyes whenever anyone other than Rickey Henderson does it.  Rickey should always speak in the third person because Rickey.   

Seriously, he wanted out -- fine.   Maybe he needed to validate why he was doing this, maybe he wanted to curtail there being speculation why he did this, whatever.. if he's happy, good for him.  Angels can move on now and not keep waiting for Ty Buttrey to find whatever it is he lost 18 months ago.

I'll say this much, I bet he would hate baseball a lot less if he was still pitching like he did then.  I too have hated doing stuff when I felt like everyone knew I was failing at it.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm starting to think that some of you who are criticizing Buttrey or questioning his sincerity are actually afraid (for lack of a better term) of someone who doesn't conform to your view of success and what a career should be.  It's actually pretty fascinating to read.

Yes, this - well said. I had a similar thought.

To add to it: I wonder if those who are most triggered by the idea of "following your passion" either don't have a passion, or deep down regret giving up on something that they loved when they were young.

Maybe it is time for cals to rediscover his inner child.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm gonna say that just shows he's not a total dolt.   If he had a dollar figure he wanted to reach before cashing in his chips -- fine.  Best wishes to him.

I really don't care one way or another what his reason for quitting is, I struggled to read his third person commentary about why he was quitting because well, I roll my eyes whenever anyone other than Rickey Henderson does it.  Rickey should always speak in the third person because Rickey.   

Seriously, he wanted out -- fine.   Maybe he needed to validate why he was doing this, maybe he wanted to curtail there being speculation why he did this, whatever..  Angels can move on now and not keep waiting for Ty Buttrey to find whatever it is he lost 18 months ago.

I'll say this much, I bet he would hate baseball a lot less if he was still pitching like he did then.  Because I too hated doing stuff when I feel like everyone knows Im failing at it.

This could be true, and while on one hand I applaud him for having the balls to walk away from millions (probably), it doesn't mean there aren't other issues involved. But all we can do is take what he says at face value, rather than make shit up about him and assume the worst, like some are doing.

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I genuinely have no opinion, If he feels better, more power to him.  Everyone has to live their life how they want.  Sometimes to doesn't make sense to others.  All I know is Rickey would know because Rickey knew stuff.