• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Per his Instagram, Ty Buttrey is retiring from the game of baseball

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I don't know the detail and again, I really don't care, but based on the situation, I think it's totally fair to question his motivation and timing.  

Again, there's a difference between questioning and assuming, between having doubt and jumping to conclusions. One leads to a more open-minded and charitable view, the other to castigation. I'm arguing against the latter, not the former (which I have some of).

Its kind of like the difference between atheism and agnosticism. An atheist says, "I haven't experienced God, but it doesn't make rational sense to me, therefore it doesn't exist." An agnostic says, "I have experienced God and while it doesn't really make sense to me, what do I know?"

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I’d rather they be happy.  I’d also like them to be mature enough to understand that jobs aren’t perfect and can make you sacrifice at times.  

You know who isn’t happy..:the parent who can’t afford to keep food on the table or a roof over their kids head because they couldn’t keep a job. I’ve known so many people who looked at every job as temporary until they could do something they really loved. Those people are still renting from someone else rather than being the ones who do the renting to others. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d rather they be happy.  I’d also like them to be mature enough to understand that jobs aren’t perfect and can make you sacrifice at times.  

I agree. Even the most fulfilling job will come with bad days and frustrating moments, which I believe is the point you're trying to make.

I've heard that other countries don't make their careers a central part of their life. America (and other places like Japan) value "hard work" over just about anything else. Yet depression and suicide rates are higher than in those countries where people work 4 days a week and dads get 6 months paternity leave. Go figure.

4 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

You know who isn’t happy..:the parent who can’t afford to keep food on the table or a roof over their kids head because they couldn’t keep a job. I’ve known so many people who looked at every job as temporary until they could do something they really loved. Those people are still renting from someone else rather than being the ones who do the renting to others. 

But this is America, where everyone can achieve financial success if they work hard enough.

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Those look like 2 entirely different issues.

If they can't keep a job, there's a whole hell of a lot more going on then "just waiting to find something they truly love".

Just now, Stradling said:

Bingo

"Financially secure" looks different for everyone. If you want to own a nice home in SoCal and travel often, then you must make a lot more money to be financially secure. But someone who lives in a less expensive area and doesn't desire a lavish lifestyle can make a lot less and still be financially secure.

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

what if being financially secure is part of what make you happy?

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that, or saying that being financially secure isn't better than being poor.

But financial security comes with strings attached - and I think the point is, what are those strings? They matter.

Buttrey (allegedly) felt that the strings weren't worth it, that he'd rather make less and do something he enjoyed doing. Again, that's his narrative. If he's being honest, I see nothing wrong with that perspective.

Edited by Angelsjunky

I would also say that I think a lot of the cynicism about the idea of "following one's passion" comes from simple, even innocent, ignorance. Some people have passions, some don't - and those that don't confuse them with interests or hobbies.

There's nothing wrong about not having a passion, but I think the problem comes when you don't and you misunderstand what the actual experience is like. It is a real, palpable feeling that one "has to" do something, be it art, helping other people, studying history, etc. It is a deep feeling of inner compulsion that one cannot ignore. Ignoring leads to misery.

20 minutes ago, Taylor said:

It doesn't have to be. But what you put your value in will often determine your satisfaction in life.

I think quite a few college graduates would disagree after finding out their passion or dreams don’t pay the bills, particularly those who racked up debt.  Plenty of people when they're younger think they'll do ____ then the reality of being an adult sets in.  I would never advocate that someone chase money when choosing a career but if you want certain things in life you have to realize you’re going to make sacrifices. You don’t have to live to work but you can work to live and still do things you enjoy like charity work.