• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Per his Instagram, Ty Buttrey is retiring from the game of baseball

I respect his decision and good luck to him. Not everyone wakes up with the same relentless drive every morning or has compartmentalized the meaninglessness of existence and just torments others to compensate for their own shortcomings (aka many people in management positions who just got there through nothing but attrition). Hope he finds what he's looking for. 

Cals may or may not be my boss so hopefully I haven't given away my identity. 

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

@Lou is spot on here. 

BTW, I changed my bet to UCLA for tonight's game. I got $500 on this one. 

Probably stupid, but if I lose my money goes to charity. If I win I get cash! 

Congrats. Amazing game and they easily covered the spread the whole way through.  That last microsecond shot by Suggs... Ugh.

This was a pretty funny thread to go through. A lot of “how do you see the world” built in there. A lot of people work at something they don’t love. They do it for someone else usually. But you know what they would never do? Turn down a better opportunity. For some that’s more money. Others better hours. Others it’s the work itself. No person turns down something they consider more valuable when given the chance. Buttrey may have thought baseball was his ticket to generational success or college for his kids. But at some point he changed his mind. He’s turning down lots of money to have something more valuable to him—not to an angry chump on a fan message board but to him. “Buttrey should keep pitching because I hate my job” is the most asinine thing to say out loud. It’s his life. Get one of your own if it bothers you that much. 

6 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

This was a pretty funny thread to go through. A lot of “how do you see the world” built in there. A lot of people work at something they don’t love. They do it for someone else usually. But you know what they would never do? Turn down a better opportunity. For some that’s more money. Others better hours. Others it’s the work itself. No person turns down something they consider more valuable when given the chance. Buttrey may have thought baseball was his ticket to generational success or college for his kids. But at some point he changed his mind. He’s turning down lots of money to have something more valuable to him—not to an angry chump on a fan message board but to him. “Buttrey should keep pitching because I hate my job” is the most asinine thing to say out loud. It’s his life. Get one of your own if it bothers you that much. 

Yep. It baffles me that so many people are pissed at Buttrey for making a decision with his life. 

2 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

That's not what he said. He said he played baseball to show the doubters that he could. 

Stop making him a hero.

Also, you seem to be more bothered than anyone. We're laughing at those who actually fell for his explanation. The last thing I am is angry. Hell, he sucks. I'm glad he quit.

13 hours ago, Taylor said:

Who raised the millennials?

Typical lack of accountability you'd expect from a millennial.

And somewhere there's a boomer who is face-palming because his entitled son is walking away from a professional baseball career.

6 hours ago, cals said:

No, it’s that many of us think (1) He’s full of shit, and (2) Even if he’s not, we know the world and the opportunity he has to make more money throwing a ball for a couple more years, even if he does hate it, which I doubt, and he’s either incredibly and honorably idealistic or he’s just plain dumb to throw that away.

Is it that hard to comprehend? 

Do you dipshits hate YOUR jobs so much that you’ve turned this guy into your idol?  Apparently.

Again, is it really a coincidence that the most professionally successful members of AW are the most skeptical of his statement and decision?  

Oh man. I could barely get through this incoherent rambling nonsense. That first paragraph run-on-palooza was especially a doozy. But even as a “professionally unsuccessful child” and a “dipshit”, I think I understood most of it. And I’d point out how your entire post (throwing a ball, throw that away) connects to my point but apparently I’m not worthy to engage with you in a discussion on substance. And if I try to continue, I’ll just be insulted so I’ll leave you to continue to respond and insult others. 

4 hours ago, Lou said:

That's not what he said. He said he played baseball to show the doubters that he could. 

Stop making him a hero.

Also, you seem to be more bothered than anyone. We're laughing at those who actually fell for his explanation. The last thing I am is angry. Hell, he sucks. I'm glad he quit.

Lol, the ol’ I’m not bothered you’re bothered! 

He’s not a hero. I happen to think if he had a good year last year he wouldn’t have quit. It’s obvious in his mind it’s not worth it. Whether he’s right or wrong for that or just being a baby whatever. But people are allowed to make their own decisions.

40 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Oh man. I could barely get through this incoherent rambling nonsense. That first paragraph run-on-palooza was especially a doozy. But even as a “professionally unsuccessful child” and a “dipshit”, I think I understood most of it. And I’d point out how your entire post (throwing a ball, throw that away) connects to my point but apparently I’m not worthy to engage with you in a discussion on substance. And if I try to continue, I’ll just be insulted so I’ll leave you to continue to respond and insult others. 

I think you know the quality of the person you are discussing things with when you see a comment like "Again, is it really a coincidence that the most professionally successful members of AW are the most skeptical of his statement and decision?", when in reality he likely does not know what more than half of the people he is responding to do for a living and just making an assumption.

7 hours ago, cals said:

Again, is it really a coincidence that the most professionally successful members of AW are the most skeptical of his statement and decision?  

Why do you keep saying this? Perhaps you know more than I do about the professions of people on here, but even if that's true I think it's kind of silly to make a statement like this, and I don't think it strengthens whatever point you're trying to make.

The vast majority of people would consider my professional career to be very successful in the way that most Americans are taught to define such a thing, but I'm not skeptical of his decision.  I don't think he's a "hero," either, mind you; I just think he's a guy who made a decision that he thinks is the right one for right now.  I honestly don't see what the big deal is one way or the other.

Edited by jsnpritchett

5 minutes ago, cals said:

Wow, I really struck a nerve. I’ll bet both you guys wear badges at work.

Nah, I'm not bothered by it.  I just don't understand why you and some others are taking such an ardent stance on this and why you keep insulting and belittling other people. 

You didn't really address anything that I said in the post you quoted,  but at this point, it seems like you're just in this to attempt to rile people up. 

I don't wear a badge or name tag, by the way.