• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

21 minutes ago, Fourts said:

There are some young guys to dream upon.  But let’s be honest, this farm system is clearly in the bottom 1/3rd of baseball.  

That’s the black hole of being just good enough to not fully tank/sell and bad enough that you don’t sniff the playoffs year after year.  Even still, it’s also some bad drafting, scouting and player development.  

You can be in bottom third as most never make it. You only need so many to help your team. Fletcher, Walsh, Ward but halos need some pitchers to help.

I think it was doc who said this already, but for the most part, I'm not even concerned with the position player talent on the farm. The exception to this statement being those with high upside like Jackson, Paris and Adams. 

The major league team has a promising future in the field and with guys like Rengifo, Thaiss, Ward, Marsh, Adell all fighting for more permanent spots on the roster, there won't be a shortage of talent on the Angels any time soon.  

Right now, all I really care about is pitching.  It doesn't matter who the GM is, they've struggled to bring in the right arms. Free Agency has produced high price underperforming options (outside of Wheeler, who I felt the Angels  whiffed on) and the trade market has had solid options available like Yu Darvish and Joe Musgrove but the return price would've crippled the Angels farm. 

The only way to break free of this cycle of mediocrity is to develop pitching on their own.  I like Canning and Sandoval in the back half and Ohtani up front.  But the remaining three spots need to be filled with upside.  

Suarez and Rodriguez have likely found their calling in the bullpen.  Barria is a back end option that stabilizes things,  but doesn't necessarily improve them beyond their current state.  Detmers is the only one on horizon that fits what they need.  

The Angels need to be drafting update pitching with every early and middle pick, and they need to strongly consider trading Adams, Paris and Jackson for the quality pitching with years of control they need, if they can. And finally, they need to get lucky.  Kochanowicz making a developmental leap, or some no name guy figuring it out. 

Guys like Dashwood, Criswell, Tyler, and Naughton have some intrigue as well.

I would consider re-signing Heaney and Cobb to 2-3 year deals, to allow pitching development to take place on the farm.

Ohtani, Heaney, Cobb, Detmers, Barria, and Sandoval could provide decent to solid enough pitching in 2022.

Move Canning to the pen, since the durability to get beyond 70 pitches often enough doesn’t seem to be there.   His seamer and slider are good enough to be a late innings guy.

Re-sign Iglesias to a two year deal.  The non-save situation issue is a concern.   But, he’s pretty solid with the game on the line with a lead.

Iglesias, CRod, Canning, and Suarez  for the pen, then go out and get 2 other guys to complement them and fill out the other two pen spots.

I think some are being a bit homerish with the farm.  20+ does not mean there isn’t talent.  it’s also not night & day differences.  It’s a sliding scale.

As I mentioned, it young talent.  It’s very raw and untapped potential.  Compare that to other teams without your Angel bias. Angels might have some of the better very young talent (low A and below….under 19).  But that’s unknown talent at this point.  

Think of the top level talent ready now and the next year.  We have some talented OFs with holes that could be ready and take off.  We have some middle to back end SPs that may happen.  Potential RPs ready now probably.  But that’s it.  No catchers.  No TOR type SPs.  I mean guys performing as such in minors - not guys with the stuff that are young who one day coild

turn into it.  Many of the other teams have these guys - multiple ones too.  

17 minutes ago, Fourts said:

No catchers.

They’re not going to be MLB stars, but the catching depth we have on the farm right now is quietly promising.

Thaiss likely isn’t an everyday catcher, but his offense has been better than ever and he’s starting to get comfortable behind the plate, throwing out his first baserunners recently. Bemboom is a great 3rd string catcher/okay primary backup. Some power, strong defense.

Anthony Mulrine’s bat cooled of late but he was hitting really well at AA for most of the season, and he’s come along very strong defensively. Throwing out almost 50% of runners so far. Keinner Pina, same story. Started the year real strong at the plate for IE, cooled of late, also very strong behind defensively the plate.

Edited by totdprods

40 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think it was doc who said this already, but for the most part, I'm not even concerned with the position player talent on the farm. The exception to this statement being those with high upside like Jackson, Paris and Adams. 

The major league team has a promising future in the field and with guys like Rengifo, Thaiss, Ward, Marsh, Adell all fighting for more permanent spots on the roster, there won't be a shortage of talent on the Angels any time soon.  

Right now, all I really care about is pitching.  It doesn't matter who the GM is, they've struggled to bring in the right arms. Free Agency has produced high price underperforming options (outside of Wheeler, who I felt the Angels  whiffed on) and the trade market has had solid options available like Yu Darvish and Joe Musgrove but the return price would've crippled the Angels farm. 

The only way to break free of this cycle of mediocrity is to develop pitching on their own.  I like Canning and Sandoval in the back half and Ohtani up front.  But the remaining three spots need to be filled with upside.  

Suarez and Rodriguez have likely found their calling in the bullpen.  Barria is a back end option that stabilizes things,  but doesn't necessarily improve them beyond their current state.  Detmers is the only one on horizon that fits what they need.  

The Angels need to be drafting update pitching with every early and middle pick, and they need to strongly consider trading Adams, Paris and Jackson for the quality pitching with years of control they need, if they can. And finally, they need to get lucky.  Kochanowicz making a developmental leap, or some no name guy figuring it out. 

Average backend performance is an improvememt!

17 minutes ago, Fourts said:

I think some are being a bit homerish with the farm.  20+ does not mean there isn’t talent.  it’s also not night & day differences.  It’s a sliding scale.

As I mentioned, it young talent.  It’s very raw and untapped potential.  Compare that to other teams without your Angel bias. Angels might have some of the better very young talent (low A and below….under 19).  But that’s unknown talent at this point.  

Think of the top level talent ready now and the next year.  We have some talented OFs with holes that could be ready and take off.  We have some middle to back end SPs that may happen.  Potential RPs ready now probably.  But that’s it.  No catchers.  No TOR type SPs.  I mean guys performing as such in minors - not guys with the stuff that are young who one day coild

You think Detmers is a "middle to back end" starter? What about C-Rod? Also, how many teams have TOR prospects? I see Gore for the Padres. 

I'll counter your "homer" argument and say you are being pessimistic.

We know the system isn't great. No one has said that. But I don't agree that they're "bottom third".

That all said, we're arguing semantics. It's essentially an "average" system vs. a "below average" system.

40 minutes ago, Fourts said:

All minor league talent is virtually unknown or at least 99% of it.  

You seem like you know quite a bit about other teams' systems.  Do you?  Not trying to be a dick but most of the middle of the pack is either similar to us or the complete opposite.  Meaning they either have high upside and no depth or some depth without upside.  That's kinda the nature of being middle of the pack.  

The lower third have neither.  Or very little of either.  

I think you're probably more familiar with the upper tier systems and the inclination is to assume that since we're not like Tampa then we're lower tier.  

Just saying you may need to recalibrate what constitutes the various tiers.  

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

You seem like you know quite a bit about other teams' systems.  Do you?  Not trying to be a dick but most of the middle of the pack is either similar to us or the complete opposite.  Meaning they either have high upside and no depth or some depth without upside.  That's kinda the nature of being middle of the pack.  

I think you're probably more familiar with the upper tier systems and the inclination is to assume that since we're not like Tampa then we're lower tier.  

Homer

Very few people are knowledgeable enough to assess how 30 farm systems relate to each other, and even among those that do there's a lot of unknowns. Ultimately it doesn't matter, and the main barometer should be improvement within the system.

Meaning, what we can do, as Angels fans, is compare the farm now to past years. It probably reached a nadir 5 years ago, meaning after Trout/Segura/Richards but before Marsh/Adell/CRod. Consider, for instance, the top 10 according to BA:

2013: Kaleb Cowart, Nick Maronde, CJ Cron, Mike Clevinger, Austin Wood, Randal Grichuk, Taylor Lindsey, RJ Alvarez, Mark Sappington, Alex Yarbrough

2016: Taylor Ward, Jahmai Jones, Nate Smith, Victor Alcantara, Jake Jewell, Grayson Long, Joe Gatto, Kaleb Cowart, Jaime Barria, Chad Hinshaw

2021: Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh, Chris Rodriguez, Reid Detmers, Jordyn Adams, Jeremiah Jackson, Jack Kochanowicz, Hecton Yan, Kyren Paris, Oliver Ortega

2016 might have been the low-point (or possibly 2015), and since then there's been gradual improvement. We might see different things if we looked 20 and 30 deep, but I think the same would be true, for the most part.

2021 is confused by a lack of a minor league season, which has especially impacted younger prospects. But I think what held true last year still holds true: that the farm has more interesting prospects than it has in years.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

I would consider re-signing Heaney and Cobb to 2-3 year deals, to allow pitching development to take place on the farm.

Ohtani, Heaney, Cobb, Detmers, Barria, and Sandoval could provide decent to solid enough pitching in 2022.

Move Canning to the pen, since the durability to get beyond 70 pitches often enough doesn’t seem to be there.   His seamer and slider are good enough to be a late innings guy.

Re-sign Iglesias to a two year deal.  The non-save situation issue is a concern.   But, he’s pretty solid with the game on the line with a lead.

Iglesias, CRod, Canning, and Suarez  for the pen, then go out and get 2 other guys to complement them and fill out the other two pen spots.

I typically like your takes, but I think we differ in our opinions on this point.  I mean if they aren't confident in Sandoval, Canning or Barria as the #5/6 guys in the rotation, then sure, resign Cobb. He's likeable, a leader and can provide decent performance.  

But Heaney has been with the Angels for a while, and he's never really been an answer to their issues before and I fail to see how that may change in 2022. 

As far as moving Canning to the bullpen, if the year was 2007, you'd be absolutely correct. 90 pitches and 4-6 innings just doesn't cut it. But the game has changed, and that 5 inning, 90-100 pitch mark seems to be the new standard. And that's unfortunate in my opinion, I'm with you, I wish starters would go back to the 6-7 innings and 100-120 pitch range. But more velocity and more breaking pitches results in greater injury risk, so limiting pitches is the new norm. Canning is perfectly built for this new era of baseball, and there's still some unrealized potential. He's showing a few runs now where he can be nearly dominant for stretches spanning multiple starts.  

Personally, if it were me, I'd package Ward (with his value getting higher), Adams, Jackson and a lottery ticket for a strong #3 starter with three years of team control, see if I can flip Paris, Knowles, and another lotto ticket for a solid SP in AA/AAA in a rare prospect for prospect trade, and see if flipping Barria and taking on an ugly contract could net me another decent major league starter.  

Suddenly the rotation is rebuilt, the farm takes a significant hit, but didn't lose any of its significant younger upside or its AAA depth, and while payroll temporarily increases, the pitching problem is finally solved in the short term (the next three seasons), while the Angels use this time and their draft picks to create the next wave of pitching talent that should arrive a year or so before Kochanowicz.

2 hours ago, Fourts said:

Your'e right that younger talent is much more volatile but you're off a bit with thinking it's homers that see the upside there.  Keith Law,, the guys at BBA, FGs, Baseball Prospectus -- they all pretty much agree the Angels system is thin but has exciting possibilities.   What they lack is organizational filler, a byproduct of them having spent most of Eppler's tenure filling gaping holes with as much potential upside as possible.

Also, the Angels system wasnt one of the younger ones, it was the youngest one.    So, yeah, there is a lot of volatility there.

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

But Heaney has been with the Angels for a while, and he's never really been an answer to their issues before and I fail to see how that may change in 2022. 

The biggest problem with Heaney is there is this persistent hope he turns into a strong #2 but instead perpetually sticks in a solid #3-4. He seems to be getting to a point where he’s fairly durable, and he does own a 3.62 ERA in the eleven starts since that rough opening series start. 

If they can get him for like a 3/$30m, something close to the Lance Lynn/Kyle Gibson deals, I think it’s a good move for all. He’d be affordable for most teams to afford if we need to trade him off to make room for something better or if we’re sellers, and if he does actualize his  potential, that contract makes him even more valuable.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

They’re not going to be MLB stars, but the catching depth we have on the farm right now is quietly promising.

Thaiss likely isn’t an everyday catcher, but his offense has been better than ever and he’s starting to get comfortable behind the plate, throwing out his first baserunners recently. Bemboom is a great 3rd string catcher/okay primary backup. Some power, strong defense.

Anthony Mulrine’s bat cooled of late but he was hitting really well at AA for most of the season, and he’s come along very strong defensively. Throwing out almost 50% of runners so far. Keinner Pina, same story. Started the year real strong at the plate for IE, cooled of late, also very strong behind defensively the plate.

I hope you are right here and we have some good catching depth for the next 5-8+ years.  But honestly, i think your definition of "promising" is different than mine.  I trust you though and you know more about these guys than i do.  So please be true.  I think you have to accept some reality and say that you would take most other teams catching prospect over ours right now.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

You think Detmers is a "middle to back end" starter? What about C-Rod? Also, how many teams have TOR prospects? I see Gore for the Padres. 

I'll counter your "homer" argument and say you are being pessimistic.

We know the system isn't great. No one has said that. But I don't agree that they're "bottom third".

That all said, we're arguing semantics. It's essentially an "average" system vs. a "below average" system.

I love Chris Rodriguez and think he's the one true elite arm we have.  But, and maybe i'm wrong, it seems most are starting t question (if they hadn't already) whether he can be a SP.  Can you see him pitch 200 innings a year for 5-10 years?  I truly hope so.  But even the more optimist folks are starting to question his viability LT as a SP.

Detmers is our best SP prospect (since not including Rodriguez).  I consider him a very strong middle (#3) with some potential be be a #2 at times.  But basically a very good #3.  That seems to be where so-called farm system experts place him most likely to land as well if he makes it.  That's freaking great to have.  But your best SP prospect should have a higher ceiling.  Whom else do we have that has that ceiling besides young guys that we're solely dreaming on.  We have young guys that haven't put it together yet, haven't pitched yet, etc.  But not any guys with the stuff and have shown (even at low level) over say 5-10 starts that they have it besides a hope & dream one day.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

My biggest issue is the depth....and lack of ML ready players we have.  This far along in rebuilding your farm system, we should have better AA/AAA depth.  I love our recent international signings the past couple years.  We have some great HS draft picks last couple years.  So the 16-20 year old of our system looks exciting.  But man, beyond that is is thiiiiiiiiin and weak comparatively so.  Especially because we've sucked for years.  We are not coming off a prolonged playoff run trading guys for WS runs year after year.  

You also have to consider that most of these guys haven't played in 2 years and their development stoped for a period. Then last years, there were only 4 picks, which two of them haven't even played a game. 

I said this early, but our system is at a re-start or a new cycle. The old high-end talent in the system has graduated and now we are seeing the next core, and it'll take atleast this core until next year to be in the upper levels! But make no mistake there is talent in the system. 

if I were to rank the top 4 in our system from the new group, it would be

1. Detmers

2. Adams

3. paris

4. Jackson

you can make the argument, that 3 of these four players are top 150 in all of the Minors. With that said, we are still thin on the pitching side, and thise upcoming draft I hope we can improve that aspect of the system and add morwe high end talent. 

Another aspect you also have to think is the rookies on the Mlb roster.

Rf: Ward, it took some time but he's finally showing he can be a regular player, he reminds me a bit of Kole. Do i Expect him to be an guy with an OPS over 800 in his Career? nope but I can expect him to be around 750 and up. 

1st: Walsh, he has struggled lately, but I think he is a few adjustments away from finding his grove. In his Prime, You'll get a guty that average close to 4 wars per year, so close to an All-start.

2nd, Flecther the walks need to retur but he's a solid everyday player.

Canning, Suarez and Barria on the pitching side. 

these 3 guys have broken out in a way, but you still have guys that could breakout and are just waiting for that chance;

Thaiss and Rengifo

Than Add Adell and Marsh. 

there still a good core of guys that are just looking for a chance, If one of Thaiss,RengifoAdell or Marsh breaks out that just improves the roster. 

56 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Your'e right that younger talent is much more volatile but you're off a bit with thinking it's homers that see the upside there.  Keith Law,, the guys at BBA, FGs, Baseball Prospectus -- they all pretty much agree the Angels system is thin but has exciting possibilities.   What they lack is organizational filler, a byproduct of them having spent most of Eppler's tenure filling gaping holes with as much potential upside as possible.

Also, the Angels system wasnt one of the younger ones, it was the youngest one.    So, yeah, there is a lot of volatility there.

Maybe i didn't articulate myself properly (was posting on phone earlier and had issues).  But this is exactly what i say about our system: very young, raw and some exciting such guys.  But that's it.  You'd think by now we'd have a more robust farm system considering sucking for years.  The upper levels are not good.  Every team has a Detmer type -- but that's really all we have for good SPs coming up. 

Every team has hard throwing RPs.  We have some OFs...we also have very young, exciting MIs.  I'd say OFs and MIs are maybe the easiest to get in todays game.  Pitching is the key.  Even Catchers.

When was the last really good SP we developed and had on the Angels?  Maybe Weaver.  Holy heck that's bad.  What about a RP -- KRod.  Yikes.  Maybe i'm missing someone.  Still, that shows you how bad we've been at drafting and developing pitchers.  Catchers too -- long drought.  3Bman -- Glaus.  SS -- idk, i'm drawing a blank right now. 

1 minute ago, Fourts said:

My biggest issue is the depth....and lack of ML ready players we have.  This far along in rebuilding your farm system, we should have better AA/AAA depth.  I love our recent international signings the past couple years.  We have some great HS draft picks last couple years.  So the 16-20 year old of our system looks exciting.  But man, beyond that is is thiiiiiiiiin and weak comparatively so.  Especially because we've sucked for years.  We are not coming off a prolonged playoff run trading guys for WS runs year after year.  

I guess it depends on how you define "depth". Are we talking strictly prospects, or just guys in the system? If it's the latter, we have depth up the ass and you're seeing it right now: Ward, Rengifo, Thaiss, Suarez, Sandoval, Barria, with Adell and Marsh on the way. Just to name a few.

In fact, I think "depth" is one of our strengths. We also have Pena in Salt Lake and he can start or pitch out of the pen, not to mention Jose Rojas. Bemboom and Butera aren't good but they're probably on par with Suzuki.

There's not a lot of guys in the middle, this is true. Detmers is probably it tbh. Everyone else is a ways away. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Good post.  You are probably right. 

I'm basing my opinion on non-Angel fans/AW system rankings.  I really like reading about our guys from people here because it's truly guys who have actually SEEN them play.  That is extremely valuable -- not to mention fun as a fan to read.  Still, sometimes people can get too close to your own guys like a grandmother with her grandkids.  So seeing what so-called experts say is good too for a general feel.  Overall, my negativity stems from years of lack of depth and (more so) pitching.  

4 minutes ago, Fourts said:

When was the last really good SP we developed and had on the Angels?  Maybe Weaver.  Holy heck that's bad.  What about a RP -- KRod.  Yikes.  Maybe i'm missing someone.  Still, that shows you how bad we've been at drafting and developing pitchers.  Catchers too -- long drought.  3Bman -- Glaus.  SS -- idk, i'm drawing a blank right now. 

Richards, I think. But yeah it's been a while. Canning has some potential but he hasn't taken that step forward yet.

I will say that developing catchers is a fuckin crapass donkey shoot. So many catching prospects end up having to change positions. Who was the last big time catching prospect who stuck with any team? Realmuto in 2014? Contreras? That's the most difficult position to develop, by far.

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I guess it depends on how you define "depth". Are we talking strictly prospects, or just guys in the system? If it's the latter, we have depth up the ass and you're seeing it right now: Ward, Rengifo, Thaiss, Suarez, Sandoval, Barria, with Adell and Marsh on the way. Just to name a few.

Oh 100% agree.  I think this year for the first time in a LONG time we are just now starting to see some life and beginnings of true depth this year.  Heading in the right direction.  It's a good start and hopefully continues & builds.  Not there yet -- pitching especially so.  

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

The biggest problem with Heaney is there is this persistent hope he turns into a strong #2 but instead perpetually sticks in a solid #3-4. He seems to be getting to a point where he’s fairly durable, and he does own a 3.62 ERA in the eleven starts since that rough opening series start. 

If they can get him for like a 3/$30m, something close to the Lance Lynn/Kyle Gibson deals, I think it’s a good move for all. He’d be affordable for most teams to afford if we need to trade him off to make room for something better or if we’re sellers, and if he does actualize his  potential, that contract makes him even more valuable.

I would sooner re-up Cobb and his leadership and 2.41 FIP than Heaney. Cobb is a ground ball pitcher and fly balls at Angel Stadium, particularly to RF are suddenly flying out at a record rate.  

Edited by Second Base

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I put Ohtani, Sandoval, Canning, Barria, Suarez, Detmers and C Rod in rotation. I do not think Heaney or Cobb will be resigned but traded before July31. 

36 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I would sooner re-up Cobb and his leadership and 2.41 FIP than Heaney. Cobb is a ground ball pitcher and fly balls at Angel Stadium, particularly to RF are suddenly flying out at a record rate.  

I could see this, Cobb over Heaney.

It’s very difficult to ignore Cobb’s 2.41 FIP and TWO HRs allowed in 49 innings.   Get the INF defense more stabilized, and Cobb could really flourish.

Edited by Angel Oracle