• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Criswell has been really steady his entire pro career...his '19 numbers look pedestrian at a glance - he got thumped around a little to start the year and in his last three starts - but he had a good stretch May 10 - August 13, 77 IP, 3.86 ERA, 23 BB to 80 K, only 3 HR allowed.

One of the best things about his 2021 season so far is the walks...only 4 allowed to go with 52 K now.

Sort of reminds me of Slegers. Doesn't throw all that hard but his height makes it look quicker than it is, good movement, attacks the zone, keeps ball on the ground. Could have a similar career path too. Maybe velocity ticks up a bit if he switches to a multi-inning RP type.

Edited by totdprods

52 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Until deadline put Barria and Suarez in rotation and Bundy, Quintana and Cobb in pen. After deadline reset bullpen.

The rotation isn't the problem (outside of Quintana), the bullpen is the problem.  Suarez is thriving in his role, I wouldn't change that.  

But yes, once Quintana is healthy, I'd still put Barria in the rotation before him. 

13 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I wonder if the Angels should start considering replacing our current chumps in the bullpen with some of these high K octane arms down in the minors? 

I doubt it. As much as I want the Angels to be active this deadline - buying or selling - the path that makes the most sense right now is basically rolling with what we got. I can’t imagine any of the guys we’d sell are generating *that* much interest given their mixed performances.

Best bet is hope they play well over our ‘easier’ schedule until late July. If we’re in it, keep going, if not, sell them off and play the kids. 

I don't mind Pina moving down. He's had control issue, so let him figure somethings out and bring up. 

Jackson has finally brought his ops over 800. Still i'm iffy about him. 

Linginfelter and Brady are guys I think that might be able to help the Bullpen this year.

I would allow Daniel and hernandez to start before determine whether they belong in the Rotation or Bullpen. Daniel need to be Promoted up to AA. 

Yan is another Bp arm at this point and power arm. 

Just now, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I don't mind Pina moving down. He's had control issue, so let him figure somethings out and bring up. 

Jackson has finally brought his ops over 800. Still i'm iffy about him. 

Linginfelter and Brady are guys I think that might be able to help the Bullpen this year.

I would allow Daniel and hernandez to start before determine whether they belong in the Rotation or Bullpen. Daniel need to be Promoted up to AA. 

Yan is another Bp arm at this point and power arm. 

Pina started with zero control but started improving his last couple outings. Probably just rust so I’m not terribly concerned. His ceiling is likely just an up-and-down bullpen arm with big strikeout and walk numbers regardless.

If the Angels do a massive sell-off, I wouldn’t mind seeing a sort of tandem SP setup for some guys to finish the year. Test Suarez and Rodriguez in a ‘starter’ role that way. 

19 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Prospects performing under expectations/Disappointing: D'Shawn Knowles, Robinson Pina, Jack Kochanowicz, Jose Bonilla, Hector Yan (although maybe improving), Brandon Marsh.

Mixed Bag/About As Expected: Jordyn Adams (injury), Jeremiah Jackson, Aaron Hernandez, Jo Adell.

Positive Development: Kyren Paris, Matt Thaiss, Davis Daniel, Michael Stefanic, Kyle Tyler, Jose Suarez, Chris Rodriguez.

Or something like that. 

I'm actually really pleased with Jackson so far. I was really skeptical that his Pioneer League showing was a bit of a fluke and he'd get eaten up as he progressed - and he did at first - but he's seemed to adjust of late, is showing improved discipline, power is translating...

Several IE arms could go on the positive development list.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Criswell has been really steady his entire pro career...his '19 numbers look pedestrian at a glance - he got thumped around a little to start the year and in his last three starts - but he had a good stretch May 10 - August 13, 77 IP, 3.86 ERA, 23 BB to 80 K, only 3 HR allowed.

One of the best things about his 2021 season so far is the walks...only 4 allowed to go with 52 K now.

Sort of reminds me of Slegers. Doesn't throw all that hard but his height makes it look quicker than it is, good movement, attacks the zone, keeps ball on the ground. Could have a similar career path too. Maybe velocity ticks up a bit if he switches to a multi-inning RP type.

Hopefully better than Slegers

51 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The rotation isn't the problem (outside of Quintana), the bullpen is the problem.  Suarez is thriving in his role, I wouldn't change that.  

But yes, once Quintana is healthy, I'd still put Barria in the rotation before him. 

Mostly agree, except add Bundy to the Quintana category. 

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Pina started with zero control but started improving his last couple outings. Probably just rust so I’m not terribly concerned. His ceiling is likely just an up-and-down bullpen arm with big strikeout and walk numbers regardless.

If the Angels do a massive sell-off, I wouldn’t mind seeing a sort of tandem SP setup for some guys to finish the year. Test Suarez and Rodriguez in a ‘starter’ role that way. 

I agreed with you! I think Pina is another Bp arm when it's all done and said unless he discovers his ability to command/control. 

Regarding the "Starter" Role, personaly I think Rodriguez should already be starting and should have taken someone's spot. He getting misused and its frustrating me. 

Suarez I really like him in a Bp role as we need an arm in the Bp. I would like him to have a big role. 

I think the only person we have of Value is Cobb and Heaney, and I think there is a good chance that we re-sign heaney, so that leaves Cobb as trade bait. 

From what I can tell, the following guys are Rule 5 eligible this winter...

Position Players:

• AAA: Michael Stefanic, Brennon Lund, Jake Gatewood
  • AA: Orlando Martinez, Izzy Wilson, Torii Hunter Jr.
  • A: Livan Soto, Brendon Davis, Keinner Pina, Kevin Maitan, D'Shawn Knowles, Trent Deveaux

Pitchers:

• AAA: Packy Naughton, Andrew Wantz, Austin Warren
  • AA: Aaron Hernandez, Cooper Criswell, Kyle Tyler, Jhonathan Diaz, Denny Brady, Oliver Ortega, Connor Higgins
  • A: Robinson Pina, Luis Alvarado, Sadrac Franco, Jose Salvador, John Swanda, Stiward Aquino

There's a lot of guys listed there who figure to be good AAA/MLB relief/spot starter depth...if we sell, I kinda hope we dump the lot again and give a handful of those guys some innings. Warren, Wantz, Hernandez, Higgins specifically.

Edited by totdprods

4 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I agreed with you! I think Pina is another Bp arm when it's all done and said unless he discovers his ability to command/control. 

Regarding the "Starter" Role, personaly I think Rodriguez should already be starting and should have taken someone's spot. He getting misused and its frustrating me. 

Suarez I really like him in a Bp role as we need an arm in the Bp. I would like him to have a big role. 

I think the only person we have of Value is Cobb and Heaney, and I think there is a good chance that we re-sign heaney, so that leaves Cobb as trade bait. 

I'm still far too hesitant to put Rodriguez in a starting role, especially with his brief shoulder injury. His arm is too valuable right now to try and force any role. 

Give him enough playing time to build him up and keep developing him, and worry about the role and workload in a year or two. He has time to grow into a SP still.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I'm still far too hesitant to put Rodriguez in a starting role, especially with his brief shoulder injury. His arm is too valuable right now to try and force any role. 

Give him enough playing time to build him up and keep developing him, and worry about the role and workload in a year or two. He has time to grow into a SP still.

I understand, my plan was to have him start in a control Environment (A), and have him slowly build up arm strength and pitch count. This is what I would have liked to see, when he was coming back from that Shoulder issue. 

Place him in Inland empire, slowly work him back up by having him pitch ever 5 or 6 days. Starts of with around 25 pitches, than another game of 25 pitches, than 4-, than 50..etc. 

2 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I understand, my plan was to have him start in a control Environment (A), and have him slowly build up arm strength and pitch count. This is what I would have liked to see, when he was coming back from that Shoulder issue. 

Place him in Inland empire, slowly work him back up by having him pitch ever 5 or 6 days. Starts of with around 25 pitches, than another game of 25 pitches, than 4-, than 50..etc. 

I like how they've used him in the bigs so far. Once/if we fall out of contention, then I think it's better to move him into an environment to build up as a SP, but also fine if they keep him in the bigs for 2021 to get tested up here. Stretch him out to more multi-inning appearances even. Tandem start him with Detmers. 

Personally, I don't think he'll be able to pull off starting. I don't think his body will allow it. If he can stay mostly healthy for a couple seasons, then I think that bridge can be crossed, but I can't imagine he can do it right now.

59 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Jamie Barria in rotation

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

This is the exact type of guy we need in the Starting rotation. He throws pretty much nothing but strikes. He walks very few. He is the type of guy who can CONSISTENTLY get you to the 6-8th inning.  That helps a bullpen big time.  This type of guy will keep you in games.

I am so done with all the 3 inning "Aces", that throw 25-30 pitches an inning, that we have had the last 5 years.  Guys like this you don't want to even know where the bullpen is.

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Have you looked at Bundy has his starts. Bundy, Cobb, Quintana and Heaney all F/A after this season. They will not be back in 2022. Let's see if Suarez, Barria and even Detmers can fill spots for 22. Improve your pen put Bundy, Quintana and Cobb in pen. That may help them as F/A this off season. 

47 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

This is the exact type of guy we need in the Starting rotation. He throws pretty much nothing but strikes. He walks very few. He is the type of guy who can CONSISTENTLY get you to the 6-8th inning.  That helps a bullpen big time.  This type of guy will keep you in games.

I am so done with all the 3 inning "Aces", that throw 25-30 pitches an inning, that we have had the last 5 years.  Guys like this you don't want to even know where the bullpen is.

Or he gets crushed by MLB hitting since his velocity isn't very high, suffers from poor defense, and starts nibbling and walking guys. Or he does what you say...just saying that simply because he's throwing strikes and walking few in AA doesn't mean it'll translate to the bigs, especially since he isn't a hard thrower. Makes it hard to get through a lineup more than a couple times too. That's why he reminds me of Slegers a bit. Relies a lot on keeping hitters guessing, a perceived higher velocity, and banking on defense to help him. Not sure that'd be a winning mix at least on a consistent basis as a starter. Barria is a little close to this too, except he has a little more bite on his stuff.

Edited by totdprods

49 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Or he gets crushed by MLB hitting since his velocity isn't very high, suffers from poor defense, and starts nibbling and walking guys. Or he does what you say...just saying that simply because he's throwing strikes and walking few in AA doesn't mean it'll translate to the bigs, especially since he isn't a hard thrower. Makes it hard to get through a lineup more than a couple times too. That's why he reminds me of Slegers a bit. Relies a lot on keeping hitters guessing, a perceived higher velocity, and banking on defense to help him. Not sure that'd be a winning mix at least on a consistent basis as a starter. Barria is a little close to this too, except he has a little more bite on his stuff.

Guys that throw strike one, strike 2 get more success than guys pitching behind in the count. These guys also learn to hit their spots, which help keep them from getting clobbered.  Criswell seems like the strike one, strike 2 guy. Where Slegers is more like the guy pitching behind in the count.

2 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Guys that throw strike one, strike 2 get more success than guys pitching behind in the count. These guys also learn to hit their spots, which help keep them from getting clobbered.  Criswell seems like the strike one, strike 2 guy. Where Slegers is more like the guy pitching behind in the count.

Like I said, he might do just fine...but I'm tempering my expectations a bit still with him. There's still value in swingman types like Slegers, Peters, Barria, etc.